Round 1 pick #9 Eagles select Georgia DT Jalen Carter

D-Shiznit

12 hours ago, vaff said:

Nakobe Dean praised his character, too. As far as being on a team, that’s good, but it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s actually the good guy they claim him to be. Fraternities like this will stick up for each other. To the people outside their bubble, they may all be a-holes. Just as an example: how often do cops stick up for other cops that do terrible things? Way too often.

Well they might be in a fraternity, but they actually Know him. They know him better than the media asking the questions. I would say the players are more credible. 

6 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Not mature yes…But we got him to road grade opposing Offensive line. With him most likely double teamed, the rest of defense will have fun. We have improved. Love it. 

I can only hope he matures (makes better life decisions) as he gets older and doesn’t become another Nigel Bradham. 

• Like 1

Carter has to be ecstatic the situation he’s in. Several college teammates, Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham to learn from, a position coach that won the Outland Trophy in college, and a team that reached the Super Bowl last year. As opposed to a bad team, bad organization, bad coaching, no one he knows, and no established veterans to mentor him.

• Like 5

On 4/29/2023 at 6:29 PM, NOTW said:

FWIW: Nolan Smith and Carter did a joint PC last night and Nolan spoke about Jalen's character and said "that's not who he is" in reference to the accident.  He said he knows his character and is a good guy.  

I was a big Nolan Smith fan prior to all of this, but his Philly media interactions have made me an even bigger fan. Comes off extremely intelligent and has a big fun personality. I see him being a Philly favorite for years.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I was a big Nolan Smith fan prior to all of this, but his Philly media interactions have made me an even bigger fan. Comes off extremely intelligent and has a big fun personality. I see him being a Philly favorite for years.

If he gets a few sacks early on people will be all aboard the hype train.

I’m already on it, welcome! 😁

• Like 4

What does anyone make of this report from PFT?   https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/28/jalen-carter-overcame-not-great-feedback-from-georgia-coaches-to-stay-in-top-10/

When it comes to defensive tackle Jalen Carter, the word making the rounds before the draft was that the Georgia coaches did not have nice things to say. (We specifically decided not to mention any of that until after he was picked, so as not to participate in the pre-draft effort to get guys to fall.)

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media hinted at that last night after Carter became the ninth overall pick in the draft. We’ve heard it more bluntly and strongly. Members of the Georgia coaching staff are not Jalen Carter fans, and they weren’t bashful about saying so.

Of course, we had Kirby Smart say publicly in March that Carter is a "generational talent" (though that just pertains to his play, nothing else).  Carter's teammates, or at least Nolan Smith, is sticking up and vouching for him.  So, conflicting info.  

I love the potential of Carter if he's as good as advertised.  Could end up being a great pick for us.  But man, all this smoke around his character...or mainly, his work ethic...makes me think there has to be some truth to it.  Players can have all the talent in the world, but if they aren't mentally wired right, they'll fail 10 times out of 10.

8 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

What does anyone make of this report from PFT?   https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/28/jalen-carter-overcame-not-great-feedback-from-georgia-coaches-to-stay-in-top-10/

Of course, we had Kirby Smart say publicly in March that Carter is a "generational talent" (though that just pertains to his play, nothing else).  Carter's teammates, or at least Nolan Smith, is sticking up and vouching for him.  So, conflicting info.  

I love the potential of Carter if he's as good as advertised.  Could end up being a great pick for us.  But man, all this smoke around his character...or mainly, his work ethic...makes me think there has to be some truth to it.  Players can have all the talent in the world, but if they aren't mentally wired right, they'll fail 10 times out of 10.

There were enough red flags on Carter to make me a bit hesitant on wanting to draft him if he fell to us.  But Joe Banner / Tommy Lawler make a great point ... you have to take chances and not be afraid to fail (see link to article below).

No Real Magic

Posted: May 2nd, 2023 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | 

Life is good for Howie Roseman. He built a Super Bowl winning roster back in 2017 and then built a team that got back to the big game in 2022. He found a star QB outside of the 1st round and just signed him to a huge extension. He’s the king of good trades in the NFL and he’s hit on a lot of key free agents.

Is there a secret to all of this?

No, not really. Joe Banner offered his thoughts on Howie and the Eagles.

image.thumb.png.71a40eac357f9019410e01f19d9df24a.png

I agree with a lot of what Joe says in his piece.

The parts that stuck out to me:

• Be aggressive
  • Take chances
  • Don’t be afraid to fail

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/05/no-real-magic/

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There were enough red flags on Carter to make me a bit hesitant on wanting to draft him if he fell to us.  But Joe Banner / Tommy Lawler make a great point ... you have to take chances and not be afraid to fail (see link to article below).

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/05/no-real-magic/

Yeah those are indeed good points.  And I certainly love the aggressive approach Howie has taken.  Carter is definitely a gamble with a broad range of outcomes.  The whole racing incident is one thing that I think can be seen as a tragic youthful mistake and can be learned from.  The bigger issue for his future, to me, are the concerns about his work ethic.  

Can you think of any highly touted draft prospect that had red flags about his work ethic?  I've seen Warren Sapp be compared to this situation, but his concerns were with smoking weed, not his work ethic.  I believe Nick Fairley, the DT that Detroit picked in the 2011 draft, came with similar concerns.  He ended up being underwhelming.

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Yeah those are indeed good points.  And I certainly love the aggressive approach Howie has taken.  Carter is definitely a gamble with a broad range of outcomes.  The whole racing incident is one thing that I think can be seen as a tragic youthful mistake and can be learned from.  The bigger issue for his future, to me, are the concerns about his work ethic.  

Can you think of any highly touted draft prospect that had red flags about his work ethic?  I've seen Warren Sapp be compared to this situation, but his concerns were with smoking weed, not his work ethic.  I believe Nick Fairley, the DT that Detroit picked in the 2011 draft, came with similar concerns.  He ended up being underwhelming.

I can't lie and say I am not concerned about what we are going to get.  But then I go back to picks like Reagor and Marcus Smith that were complete flops and got absolutely nothing out of them and it didn't prevent us from rising to the top of the NFC regardless.  For now I am in the "cautious but optimistic" mindframe (a bit more on the cautious side).  

I also think the odds of him flopping as badly as those 2 are small.  

• Like 1

Any issues, the Eagles 100% were aware & did their research. They weighed the risk vs talent. He's going to a team with veteran leaders, great culture, Georgia teammates & security team that has handled situations like Brandon Brooks anxiety, Lane Johnson mental health issue where he left for Oklahoma suddenly, other stuff. 

It's a great situation for him to move on and thrive. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Any issues, the Eagles 100% were aware & did their research. They weighed the risk vs talent

And with every guy there is risk. Some are based on injury history, some based on character, some based on size or speed etc. All we heard when we took Smith was that he was undersized but that has worked out very well so far. So yeah they did their research and determined that the reward outweighs the risk. And the risk can be reduced with the environment he’ll be in.

19 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

I think it sounds fishy. Can you really be that good without practicing hard?

A lot has been made about all his friends here and the leaders we got. But I think there is another huge factor that isn’t talked about: We had big time success last year. That makes a difference. He’s not going to a bad team where you could question what they do. When he arrives here the whole thing will have his respect, people bought into Siriani and this team. So when you have that kind of authority from your coaches and players that believe in what is done and how it’s done- now that is an environment that could even bring someone truly difficult in line. And I don’t even buy he’ll be a diva. I think he got humbled and was begging for a shot on a good team.

Still excited about this pick and the draft.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

I think it sounds fishy. Can you really be that good without practicing hard?

A lot has been made about all his friends here and the leaders we got. But I think there is another huge factor that isn’t talked about: We had big time success last year. That makes a difference. He’s not going to a bad team where you could question what they do. When he arrives here the whole thing will have his respect, people bought into Siriani and this team. So when you have that kind of authority from your coaches and players that believe in what is done and how it’s done- now that is an environment that could even bring someone truly difficult in line. And I don’t even buy he’ll be a diva. I think he got humbled and was begging for a shot on a good team.

Still excited about this pick and the draft.

I think being that good without practicing is the root of the issue, there's always a large element of natural talent involved, If natural talent played no role, you could turn every defensive tackle into Joe Greene with enough coaching.

Carter was born with an innate talent to cause havoc in an opponents o-line, such that he wonders what coaches can teach him if he's this good in games just doing enough in the weight room and practise to avoid getting kicked off the team.

Now he's in the pro's he either learns pretty quickly that that attitude doesn't fly, is so otherworldly good the team is willing to overlook some slack practices or he flames out and in a couple of years starts a tour of other teams who hope they can find his spark on his way out of the league.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Did Howie find a loop hole with these guaranteed deals or something or is that standard?

4 minutes ago, judunno said:

Did Howie find a loop hole with these guaranteed deals or something or is that standard?

It's become more standard to guarantee the entire rookie deal except 5th year which is always an option

One thing you can be sure of is the consistency of stupid and lazy people.

They say really moronic things like "Jalen Carter won't be able to handle having millions of dollars"

Hey dim bulbs, he already has millions of dollars from NIL over the last 2 years.

Its not so much that they are worried about him not adjusting and more about them hating people like him.

As I have said before, the actual bad guys in this story are Reuben Frank and others who think they somehow have the right to judge him and that he owes them something.

• Like 3

like that he signed so fast… that helps him get in the building and able to work right away… atleast i thought that in the past if rookies didn’t sign a contract there were only allowed to use team facilities certain times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Wow, we got him signed a year early!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

like that he signed so fast… that helps him get in the building and able to work right away… atleast i thought that in the past if rookies didn’t sign a contract there were only allowed to use team facilities certain times.

They can all come to rookie camp this weekend but I think they need to be signed after that to come to facility.  But since they made salary slots in CBA years ago it's not a big issue signing guys

16 hours ago, SkippyX said:

One thing you can be sure of is the consistency of stupid and lazy people.

They say really moronic things like "Jalen Carter won't be able to handle having millions of dollars"

Hey dim bulbs, he already has millions of dollars from NIL over the last 2 years.

Its not so much that they are worried about him not adjusting and more about them hating people like him.

As I have said before, the actual bad guys in this story are Reuben Frank and others who think they somehow have the right to judge him and that he owes them something.

Yeah these arguments come out when they have a bias or they're quick to judge.  How will ANY of these young kids handle having millions of dollars?  

There are other athletes with incidents in their past, character issues and even crimes that are worse than what he did.  Lots of people do dumb stuff when they're young.  These guys are top athletes and basically already celebrities at a young age.  Anyone going to the pros has to mature and learn to manage their finances, their personal life, how to handle fame and money.

He's going to a team where he'll be surrounded by good people, mentoring and support.  It will be up to him how he responds and moves forward but he's being given the perfect opportunity for success.

• Like 1

let's listen to Kelce's take

On 5/4/2023 at 12:16 PM, pgcd3 said:

Best part is showing here that he’s ready to get to work. That’s in my opinion is a really good sign. 

• Like 1