Round 1 pick #9 Eagles select Georgia DT Jalen Carter

D-Shiznit

Time to starting setting up cap room to get his 30m$ AAV contract ready in 3 years, because this is THE dude

I'm on the fence with this pick. Definitely has the on field talent.

At the end of the day, I just hope the Eagles properly assessed Carter personality-wise.  If he keeps it together and decides to work hard, the sky is the limit.  But if he's just not wired right, he could go down as an all time bust.

Not only was there the street racing incident and everything involved in that, there is this...a quote I found in an article on BGN about Carter...

As the draft process progressed there were emerging concerns about his motor and desire to play football. Not only did he struggle in individual workouts, but Georgia coaches reportedly weren’t complementary of the effort Carter gave on the field.

This is just as concerning in regards to the outlook on his future.

Not trying to bring down anyone's excitement over this pick, but I definitely have some concerns about Carter that won't be alleviated until he proves otherwise...which obviously won't happen until over the course of the next 1-3 years.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

At the end of the day, I just hope the Eagles properly assessed Carter personality-wise.  If he keeps it together and decides to work hard, the sky is the limit.  But if he's just not wired right, he could go down as an all time bust.

Not only was there the street racing incident and everything involved in that, there is this...a quote I found in an article on BGN about Carter...

Not trying to bring down anyone's excitement over this pick, but I definitely have some concerns about Carter that won't be alleviated until he proves otherwise...which obviously won't happen until over the course of the next 1-3 years.

Yeah we knew about all of that. I'm sure Howie did his homework . You just mad cause they didn't go all in on offense like you wanted 😝

• Like 1

I wondered if people would still find a way to complain about getting the best prospect in the draft, and the TATE did not disappoint. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I was one of the people that wasn't sold on Carter. His work ethic and off-the-field issues make me nervous. However, we only had to move up 1 spot to get him, and we lucked out with Nolan Smith at 30. Even though they aren't the same type of player, IMO getting Nolan Smith is sort of Jalen Carter flop insurance.

Shoot... weren't we considering Nolan Smith at 10? Think of it this way... if we drafted Smith at 10, then Carter at 30, wouldn't we be friggin' jacked?

• Like 3

Howie has become one of the best GM's I've seen in a while. The Eagles are killing it. Congrats you guys. The Eagles are loaded! I love the committment to the trenches. It's not flashy but it's why the Eagles are playoff and Super Bowl contenders more often than not. Good coaching and great QB play helps, but the guys up front are why a team has a chance in most every game. It's rare to see Philly have a real bad year or get blown out aside from, the occasional hiccup here and there. And that's because they are rarely bullied up front. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I'm not too worried about of any of these things. The racing incident was just an immature decision. There's far worse trouble a person can get themselves into at that age. I actually see it as a good sign the racing incident appears to have effected him. I would be more concerned about a person that could just shrug something like that off. As for the concerns about his commitment and work effort, I believe it's a major change going from college to the NFL. These sorts of major changes tend to have a way of changing people. Lots of people get by on pure talent when they're young. But there comes a time when you need to step or you're going to fall down. The pressure to perform at the highest level possible is going to be much higher in the NFL. Not only should that culture influence him but he should also mature along the way. Maturity should allow him to look at a much bigger picture of actions and consequences. No doubt there is some risk these things don't happen but I believe the reward far outweighs the risk.

• Like 2

Howie had to throw it in to seal the deal.  Carter is a potential cornerstone at their biggest position of need so why risk it?

He literally traded a 4th round pick for the best player in the draft.

Fans or media that are being critical of him based on a late night zoom after a long day are ridiculous.  He's been dealing with the accident issue since January, he's suffered enough.  The Eagles do their due diligence investigation, they care about work ethic and character.

If any of you went through this tragic incident and felt the mental and emotional weight of that, it would affect you too. You might not be 100% for every interview.  The guy talentwise is considered one of the best (if not THE best) talent in this draft.  He will get conditioned, be mentored by the veteran players and coaches, his GA teammates and be fine.

• Thanks 1

I think Howie has finally learned that taking the consensus pick in the first round is never going to get him in trouble.  Carter was clearly the best available and fit our scheme and draft strategy nicely.  All that being said, I couldn't help but think about Brodrick Bunkley when they made this pick.  Felt like a similar scenario and player, although Bunkley went a bit later in the first I think. 

Either way, here's to hoping that this kid doesn't turn out to be BB 2.0

I do love the pick even with all of the possible off the field issues, but seriously how many guys is Howie going to take named Jalen?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Broncos72 said:

Howie has become one of the best GM's I've seen in a while. The Eagles are killing it. Congrats you guys. The Eagles are loaded! I love the committment to the trenches. It's not flashy but it's why the Eagles are playoff and Super Bowl contenders more often than not. Good coaching and great QB play helps, but the guys up front are why a team has a chance in most every game. It's rare to see Philly have a real bad year or get blown out aside from, the occasional hiccup here and there. And that's because they are rarely bullied up front. 

A knowledgeable gracious realistic fan of another team...where do they make you?

25 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

A knowledgeable gracious realistic fan of another team...where do they make you?

I asked my ma the same question...the answer was very uncomfortable.

Seriously though, objectivity is what I've always believed in. Whether it's my team or others, I try to remain objective. It's the only way to have serious discussions and debates. That's why I respect journalists who cover the NFL with some decorum and respectability. Living in the Philly for years now, I always loved listening to Ray Didinger. He wasn't a click bait guy or team mouthpiece. He was a forthright, honest guy who I could listen to talk about football all day. I miss the days of real talk (with a little smack mixed in for fun) rather than the hot take talking heads we see everywhere nowadays.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Broncos72 said:

Well played sir 👏 

20 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

It happens occasionally, but only with AFC teams, haha

5 minutes ago, Broncos72 said:

did she share the video?

7 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

did she share the video?

No, born in 1984 and all our old VCR's and VHS tapes are long gone...thank God.

He's arguably the best player in the draft and if ever there were a place with the infrastructure for him to overcome his "character issues" and succeed it's here with his former Georgia teammates and real pros like Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham to learn from. This was THE best possible pick for the Eagles in the entire draft and they got him at 9.

• Like 2

For those worried about work ethic and character concerns...the kid was 19/20 when he had his accident...think about all the stupid crap you probably did at that age. One top of that, dealing with legal stuff to the extent he did at 21/22 has to be extremely taxing on a young mind. He's going to be a stud. Bank on it.

• Like 1

This guy is a rockstar.  Playing with his fellas now and has FC and BG to teach him to be a pro.  Hoping for FC II here.

I get the concerns, but, as others have mentioned, being surrounded by his GA buddies and mentors and the Eagles' winning culture I can't help but think of this pick as a slam dunk. Getting Smith as well is a straight coup... 

Bunkley also wasn't that terrible... dude started over 100 games and was a pretty great run stopper. Hopefully Carter will be more

48 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

He's arguably the best player in the draft and if ever there were a place with the infrastructure for him to overcome his "character issues" and succeed it's here with his former Georgia teammates and real pros like Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham to learn from. This was THE best possible pick for the Eagles in the entire draft and they got him at 9.

There's a ton of leadership on this team that will challenge and help push him to greatness. I'm convinced of that.

• Like 1