Eagles Trade a 4th round pick in 2025 for Lions RB D'Andre Swift

time2rock

17 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yes, 2023 is the final year of his rookie contract ... so this is likely a 1 year rental.  

We only got him for one year….unless we resign him… But we are saving a fortune this year, considering his performance vs salary

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Super happy with this move. I thought they needed to add an impact player on offense and Penny just couldn’t be counted on to stay healthy.  Swift plays and plays well but can’t take a heavy workload. Between the 2 I think you have something impactful

4 headed monster keep these guys fresh

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, judunno said:

4 headed monster keep these guys fresh

Looking forward to seeing Swift in the screen game. Seems like forever since Eagles were good at that with a RB

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Looking forward to seeing Swift in the screen game. Seems like forever since Eagles were good at that with a RB

Westbrook? 

6 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Shady under Reid and some Sproles

Forgive my short primacy bias lol. I know we had a good screen game q Shady but imo was better w Westbrook. And I remember sproles catching more passes beyond the los but I could be wrong 

And say Swift balls out and they can't re-sign him... they likely get the 2025 4th back as a comp... Howie man. He's like 10 steps ahead.

• Like 1

Swift's injury history is way different than Penny's

Swift played in 40 of 50 games, averaged about 72 total yards a game and scored 25 TDs (over 3 years) on a team that fed Jamal Williams for 17 TDs last year.

TDs per touch the last 3 years: 

• Austin Ekeler  (41) 1 per 18.5 touches
  • Nick Chubb (34) 1 per 23 touches
  • King Henry (40)  1 per 27.9 touches
  • Josh Jacobs (33) 1 per 29.4 touches
  • D'Andre Swift (25) 1 per 20.8 touches.
  • Tony Pollard (19)  1 per 27.9 touches
  • Zeke Elliott  (34) 1 per 25.9 touches
  • Miles Sanders (17) 1 per 37.3 touches
  • Like 2

Homegrown talent and Holyfield teammate. Looks more like a depth signing. 

23 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Love this move! Another bulldog is hilarious, but this kid behind this line and paired with this quarterback could be special provided he stays healthy.

I’m all for adding as many ‘Dawgs as possible.  Elite college programs produce elite players. We saw what happened when they bet the house on North Dakota   State…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I’m all for adding as many ‘Dawgs as possible.  Elite college programs produce elite players. We saw what happened when they bet the house on North Dakota   State…

There are plenty more examples to where they screwed up by taking the guy they shouldn’t have. Honestly I don’t think the Wentz pick was a mistake and considering how he kept getting chances after he flopped here you could see the Eagles weren’t the only team who brought into Carson. The real tragedy there though was how Howie said there wouldn’t be any good quarterbacks come out after that point when there was two MVP quarterbacks selected after that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

We only got him for one year….unless we resign him… But we are saving a fortune this year, considering his performance vs salary

Look at it this way:  Miles Sanders’ new deal averages $6.5 million per year. Derrick Henry (who just last week was rumored to be coming here) averages $12.5 million a year.

The Eagles top 4 guys average about $7 million a year.  Combined. 

That, my friends, is how you build a roster.  Well played, Howie. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There are plenty more examples to where they screwed up by taking the guy they shouldn’t have. Honestly I don’t think the Wentz pick was a mistake and considering how he kept getting chances after he flopped here you could see the Eagles weren’t the only team who brought into Carson. The real tragedy there though was how Howie said there wouldn’t be any good quarterbacks come out after that point when there was two MVP quarterbacks selected after that. 

But that kind of makes my point. Wentz had the tools, which is why he got so many chances, but he couldn’t adjust to playing at the NFL level.  At the end of the day he’s a small town guy from a small program in a minor conference.  He couldn’t handle playing in the big time, especially in a supercharged sports and media market like Philly.  He couldn’t even handle the heat in Indianapolis.

On the other hand, guys who grew up playing in the SEC and Big 10 and the other Power 5 conferences are much better equipped to deal with being in the majors.  

Pedigree matters.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

But that kind of makes my point. Wentz had the tools, which is why he got so many chances, but he couldn’t adjust to playing at the NFL level.  At the end of the day he’s a small town guy from a small program in a minor conference.  He couldn’t handle playing in the big time, especially in a supercharged sports and media market like Philly.  He couldn’t even handle the heat in Indianapolis.

On the other hand, guys who grew up playing in the SEC and Big 10 and the other Power 5 conferences are much better equipped to deal with being in the majors.  

Pedigree matters.  

Yeah I think you have a point and it was a glaring issue how he (Howie) would always seem to pick the obscure player or the west coast kid and completely ignore SEC players. It’s like he always wanted to show the world how smart he was and that’s why he would draft a Reagor over Jefferson. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I think you have a point and it was a glaring issue how he (Howie) would always seem to pick the obscure player or the west coast kid and completely ignore SEC players. It’s like he always wanted to show the world how smart he was and that’s why he would draft a Reagor over Jefferson. 

Exactly!  Howie has matured as an executive.  He used to have to prove that he was the smartest guy in the room when he mostly just outsmarted himself.  I give him credit for drafting Hurts when he did, but prior to that his drafts were often head-scratchers.

He’s always been an excellent business executive.  Now he has the wisdom and confidence to make the right call more often than not.  They needed a lot of help on defense.  Georgia’s defensive teams last couple of seasons have been among the all time greats so draft their players.  It’s simple. 

• Like 1

I never felt like Howie was trying to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. That's just conjecture. He's always just been willing to take chances. A lot of scouts had Jefferson pegged as a slot WR. Just like with RBs, many people feel you don't use 1st round picks on slot receivers. So Howie rolled the dice on Reagor who looked like a guy you'd be able to use all over. He got it wrong and so did everybody else that thought Jefferson wouldn't excel on the outside. That WR class was supposed to be so great, but really Jefferson is head and shoulders above anybody else. 

It looks like Howie had a good draft this year. I'm confident he did, but there is still no guarantee he did. We'll see how are picks and other teams' picks turn out after a few years. Howie isn't trying to outsmart everyone. He's trying to do the best job can and keep that job. He's just not afraid to roll the dice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I never felt like Howie was trying to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. That's just conjecture. He's always just been willing to take chances. A lot of scouts had Jefferson pegged as a slot WR. Just like with RBs, many people feel you don't use 1st round picks on slot receivers. So Howie rolled the dice on Reagor who looked like a guy you'd be able to use all over. He got it wrong and so did everybody else that thought Jefferson wouldn't excel on the outside. That WR class was supposed to be so great, but really Jefferson is head and shoulders above anybody else. 

It looks like Howie had a good draft this year. I'm confident he did, but there is still no guarantee he did. We'll see how are picks and other teams' picks turn out after a few years. Howie isn't trying to outsmart everyone. He's trying to do the best job can and keep that job. He's just not afraid to roll the dice. 

Reagor had absolutely no production. There's no defending that one lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, judunno said:

Reagor had absolutely no production. There's no defending that one lol.

There were a lot of Eagles fans that didn't want Jefferson and quite a few posters here that were hoping for Reagor ... and were excited about the pick. I was hoping for Jefferson and was shocked he wasn't picked, but I thought Reagor would still be a very good WR in the NFL. Many people were wrong. There's not much else to say.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

There were a lot of Eagles fans that didn't want Jefferson and quite a few posters here that were hoping for Reagor ... and were excited about the pick. I was hoping for Jefferson and was shocked he wasn't picked, but I thought Reagor would still be a very good WR in the NFL. Many people were wrong. There's not much else to say.

Fans don't have the info that Howie and the scouts are privy to nor understand the game at the level needed to truly evaluate talent. We get some pff evaluations and think we know it all. Who cares what the fans think. We don't do Howie's job full time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, judunno said:

Fans don't have the info that Howie and the scouts are privy to nor understand the game at the level needed to truly evaluate talent. We get some pff evaluations and think we know it all. Who cares what the fans think. We don't do Howie's job full time.

Well....yeah...but this is a football forum so naturally we debate Eagles stuff here.

Let's look at a decade of the Eagles top pick in round 1:

Jalen Carter (?)
Jordan Davis (?)
DeVonta Smith (hit)
Jalen Reagor (miss)
Andre Dillard (miss)
Dallas Goedert (hit)
Derek Barnett (miss)
Carson Wentz (miss)
Nelson Agholor (miss)
Marcus Smith (miss)

How would you evaluate Howie's performance at the top of the draft?

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Well....yeah...but this is a football forum so naturally we debate Eagles stuff here.

Jalen Carter (?)
Jordan Davis (?)
DeVonta Smith (hit)
Jalen Reagor (miss)
Andre Dillard (miss)
Dallas Goedert (hit)
Derek Barnett (miss)
Carson Wentz (miss)
Nelson Agholor (miss)
Marcus Smith (miss)

Goedert was a 2nd round pick.

37 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Jalen Carter (?)
Jordan Davis (?)
DeVonta Smith (hit)
Jalen Reagor (miss)
Andre Dillard (miss)
Dallas Goedert (hit)
Derek Barnett (miss)
Carson Wentz (miss)
Nelson Agholor (miss)
Marcus Smith (miss)

The draft has always been Howie's weak point. He always made up for it in free agency, aggressive trades, contract negotiation/structuring and cap manipulation. Starting with the 2021 draft he seems to have figured something out and now the dude can draft... it's hard to grade drafts this early but what you can grade is the process and his is very smart and strategic. One of my favorite things about Howie lately is his willingness to evolve and learn from mistakes. Try to be ahead of the curve. He does have a huge advantage over other GMs and that is the leash that Lurie gives him. He's allowed to take big swings because he has shown that even if he misses he can make up for those mistakes. Howie is a beast and he always seems to be 5 steps ahead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Goedert was a 2nd round pick.

You're right - I forgot they didn't have a 1st that year.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Jalen Carter (?)
Jordan Davis (?)
DeVonta Smith (hit)
Jalen Reagor (miss)
Andre Dillard (miss)
Dallas Goedert (hit)
Derek Barnett (miss)
Carson Wentz (miss)
Nelson Agholor (miss)
Marcus Smith (miss)

1st round... probably on avg with most executives picking in the range that they have been with the winning records. Have to compare him to the performance of others. The debate here was whether he improved since the Reagor fiasco. It appears that he did but that's still TBD. Oh and Wentz was pretty damn good until the injuries Fd his head up. Dillard was a serviceable back up. Problem with him is he wasn't as versatile as they hoped. Not all 1st rounders (especially those being picked in the 20s - 30s) are going to be above avg starters which I'm assuming you mean by "hit".