Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

25 minutes ago, RUEagle said:

His play calling has been bad so far

That's being kind.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Run the ball. I hope he saw this and next week they switch things up. Swift and Penny can carry the load.

• Like 3

He is getting an education for sure. Luckily, we're talented enough for us to still get the win while he's getting OTJ training.

• Like 8

I am sure they learned their lesson, Swift is number one back and penny number 2, fix the middle of the defense, that is not a coordinator problem, that is a talent problem

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BJ is the greatest coach ever!  We said "run the ball” all night and he listened to the tune of 260 yards rushing. Maybe instead of firing him we should just have the headset tuned into EMB game day threads and we feed him the plays.  

JFC this fan base annoys the crap out if me 😂 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Seems like every time the Eags go to the Super Bowl, the coaching staff gets pilfered the following season. Same thing happened to Doug. Maybe we should stop going to the Super Bowl. :groovy:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Son_of_a_G said:

Both the OC and DC suck. Glad they at least figured out that they needed to run the ball.

The defense created 4 turnovers with half its secondary off the field, Desai is doing a good job with what he has available right now.

Johnson is just a case of the offense and coordinator getting used to each other 

• Like 1

Johnson has certainly had his issues, but Hurts is not Hurts of last season through two weeks. They both have a lot they need to clean up.

• Like 3

I think the Defense played pretty well for having three backup defensive backs, and two of them being second year undrafted free agents with very little game experience. I realize Reed Blankenship is also an undrafted free agent, but he's not normal, and it's probably not best to expect that from most. Most of them need a little development time.

The offense on the other hand...

Jalen is absolutely not the type to mail it in, but they didn't give him much to work with at all. Hot reads still aren't well built into the offense, and good lord where were the zone beaters? Do they even have them in the playbook? They should have been running those most of the night, because the disrespect of the short game today was ridiculous. They just sat on everything deep and intermediate for the entire game. Lucky our defense made so many turnovers because if not for those and us winning Swift like we did, we probably would have lost.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

I am sure they learned their lesson, Swift is number one back and penny number 2, fix the middle of the defense, that is not a coordinator problem, that is a talent problem

Boston Scott is the second best back, you saw Penny needs work in pass protection, and Scott had the better average too, by like 3x. I think Penny will improve as the season progresses, but Scott right now is ahead of Gainwell and Penny in terms of who actually is playing better.

Try not to mix up talent with actually playing well. In terms of pure talent, Penny is probably first, but he doesn't play up to his draft status right now.

Now Swift on the other hand. He's pretty much a perfect fit for the offensive line style. Really good. And his pass pro is good enough as well. In my opinion Swift should start and it's probably not close.

• Like 2

Obviously still super early in his tenure as OC but this does give similar vibes of 2018 when Reich left and was replaced with Groh.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Reminded me of that HS coach who favored one player (Hurts) and just tried to use his athleticism for every play, then later realized he was surrounded by talent 

• Like 1

First time OC, first time play caller.  Just like most rookie players, rookie coordinators need time to figure things out too (goes for Desai too).  The offense definitely looks disjointed.  To me, it looks like a combination of the play calling, game plan, Hurts' decision-making and the vaunted OL allowing pressure at a seemingly higher rate than last year.

Hopefully they will figure it out because if not, things are gonna get real bad once we hit the meat of our schedule.

• Like 2

It's definitely criminal that they didn't get Swift more touches in week 1. I'm a fan of Gainwell's, but Swift is just clearly on another level. 

• Like 2

Kelce said it in the post game show. First 2 weeks,  defenses have been playing very unusual alignments confusing the offense. He said they see seeing looks that they have never seen before.  They are all learning.  The OC, Hurts, etc.... When they figure it out and get the pass game catches up with the run game, watch out.  If they put it all together they are a 35ppg team.  

The Hurts, RPO up the middle needs to stop and needs to stop now.  It's not working and its going to get him killed.  We have plenty of running talent on this team and Hurts will always be a threat to scramble when the play breaks down.  Enough already. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Kz! said:

It's definitely criminal that they didn't get Swift more touches in week 1. I'm a fan of Gainwell's, but Swift is just clearly on another level. 

His change of direction is as good as I've seen.  I think a thunder and lightning approach with him and Gainewll/Penny would be deadly.

Reminds me of the Staley/Buckhalter days. 

3 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

His change of direction is as good as I've seen.  I think a thunder and lightning approach with him and Gainewll/Penny would be deadly.

Reminds me of the Staley/Buckhalter days. 

I’ve seen Swift play often but he was never this elusive. He was weaving in and out of holes and looked great. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Road to Victory said:

I’ve seen Swift play often but he was never this elusive. He was weaving in and out of holes and looked great. 

To be fair, he was running through the Lincoln Tunnel on pretty much every play.  O-line did a pheromonal job run blocking last night.  Sadly, pass blocking was another story.