Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

3 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Johnson is getting way too much crap. The fact of the matter is, Hurts is having a hard time reading defenses, especially pre-snap. I'm not sure if it's a "blue print" but this is the second week in a row the opposing defense has done a lot of disguising and zone blitz's. Johnson has made some questionable calls but if the QB plays just a little bit better it makes him look better.

The calls and/or gameplans aren't accounting for the important stuff. This is likely stuff they saw on film last year. Did a lot of looking at what was going on last year and pretty much the constant was that the Eagles offense doesn't have built in hot routes. That means that blitzes have to be manually beat by the quarterback on progressions. Furthermore, the concepts they're using aren't really beaters. Hurts is a bit off but I'm really not liking the gameplan either. Especially the plethora of designed run calls on third down. The third down calls have been really, really bad.

The lack of early running on downs have been really, really bad. Way too often we're in third and long.

• Like 1

I would like more underneath crossing routes. More TE involvement. If the fricking CB AND Safety are covering AJ or Smitty down the field, then someone should be open under that. Find that WR/TE, Hurts!! Open guys all game long, for 2 weeks now, are being missed by this QB.

But, thankfully they are 2-0. So THAT’s good. Room for improvement. My guess is that they figure it out eventually. 🤪

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LacesOut said:

I would like more underneath crossing routes. More TE involvement. If the fricking CB AND Safety are covering AJ or Smitty down the field, then someone should be open under that. Find that WR/TE, Hurts!! Open guys all game long, for 2 weeks now, are being missed by this QB.

But, thankfully they are 2-0. So THAT’s good. Room for improvement. My guess is that they figure it out eventually. 🤪

Yeah I think they need to find creative ways to get our guys involved. It was something that Steichen did very well was to scheme guys open. Johnson needs to get creative but hurts needs to do his bit on the field too.

And let’s see a couple of screens to the TE too. Get Goedert going.

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I think they need to find creative ways to get our guys involved. It was something that Steichen did very well was to scheme guys open. Johnson needs to get creative but hurts needs to do his bit on the field too.

And let’s see a couple of screens to the TE too. Get Goedert going.

We also have to remember it took Steichen a year to find his footing as an OC too. It might not be realistic to expect these coordinators to be SB level year one when their predecessors weren’t SB level year one especially earlier in the season. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

We also have to remember it took Steichen a year to find his footing as an OC too. It might not be realistic to expect these coordinators to be SB level year one when their predecessors weren’t SB level year one especially earlier in the season. 

Agreed! Everyone thinks Steichen took over from Sirianni and it all took off. Actually it didn’t but what he did was he ran the ball and that was what got the fans on side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed! Everyone thinks Steichen took over from Sirianni and it all took off. Actually it didn’t but what he did was he ran the ball and that was what got the fans on side.

I just hope Johnson doesn’t take this whole season to figure this all out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/16/2023 at 2:33 AM, birdman#12 said:

These guys are both first time coordinators........

I've seen multiple people say this and it's wrong, Desai was the Bears DC in 2021. He then went to Seattle as an assistant after they fired Nagy, but he isn't a first time coordinator 

• Like 3

Cant do much except hope for the best. We wont beat the Cowpukes or Whiners with this unreliable offense.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 4:15 PM, EazyEaglez said:

This is a better team than the 2021 Eagles - and Steichen was starting out as a new hire - he's been with the Eagles going on 3 years now.  I'm not impressed with him as OC so far, and for that matter, not so sure Alex Tanney is the right gut to serve as QB coach.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Procus said:

This is a better team than the 2021 Eagles - and Steichen was starting out as a new hire - he's been with the Eagles going on 3 years now.  I'm not impressed with him as OC so far, and for that matter, not so sure Alex Tanney is the right gut to serve as QB coach.

I guess we are going to have let this play out some. I just hope we aren’t running into another situation like Doug and his staff after Reich left. I know Philly fans and the owner can get real impatient when it comes setting up a coaching staff. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 11:02 PM, Mat said:

I've seen multiple people say this and it's wrong, Desai was the Bears DC in 2021. He then went to Seattle as an assistant after they fired Nagy, but he isn't a first time coordinator 

He meant first time coordinators in Philly 

On 9/17/2023 at 1:48 AM, EazyEaglez said:

I just hope Johnson doesn’t take this whole season to figure this all out.

Right now I can’t say I’m confident but I guess it took Steichen about half a season? Although he did then have a full off season to draw things up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, judunno said:

He meant first time coordinators in Philly 

He said first time co-ordinators, not first year in Philly. There are a number of people saying the same thing and I'm pretty sure they think Desai is in his first year as a DC anywhere which isn't true 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Cant do much except hope for the best. We wont beat the Cowpukes or Whiners with this unreliable offense.

No one has any idea how good the Cowboys defense is or isn't, they faced a historically bad Giants performance and a Jets offense that had Zach Wilson at QB, all the pundits getting a twitch in the crotch because the Cowboys had a decent defensive performance against the worst offenses in the NFL that week, the Giants were godawful the first half against Arizona too.

The Cowboys were struggling to pull away from the Jets until the Refs stuck their thumb on the scale and called a couple of ridiculous roughing the passers to extend drives.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mat said:

He said first time co-ordinators, not first year in Philly. There are a number of people saying the same thing and I'm pretty sure they think Desai is in his first year as a DC anywhere which isn't true 

I'm translating to help him save face. :)

On 9/16/2023 at 8:02 PM, Mat said:

I stand corrected.....however, my point is still accurate.  Whenever a team brings in a new coordinator and has replaced a number of starters, there is always a learning curve of getting them most out of players and new guys adjusting to the new scheme..,....throw in a bunch of injuries to the secondary, and breakdowns will occur.

Hoping it's just rust from Hurts and being new to an OC for Johnson. They got lucky that they still won the games while figuring things out and getting refreshed

16 hours ago, Procus said:

it is the next Mediocrity in Line Philosophy. Instead of opening up the process and scouting talent, why not promote the "nice" guy who was already here.? I am not impressed with Johnson so far. If he still calls at least 40% running plays, I will tolerate him. But giving the amount of time that he did spend here...he should have started better. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No one has any idea how good the Cowboys defense is or isn't, they faced a historically bad Giants performance and a Jets offense that had Zach Wilson at QB, all the pundits getting a twitch in the crotch because the Cowboys had a decent defensive performance against the worst offenses in the NFL that week, the Giants were godawful the first half against Arizona too.

The Cowboys were struggling to pull away from the Jets until the Refs stuck their thumb on the scale and called a couple of ridiculous roughing the passers to extend drives.

Cowboys have the Cardinals and the Patriots before they get punched in the mouth by the 49ers. Unless the patriots do it first. 

The hype on them will only get worse after next week.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:35 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's incorrect.  Steichen has a proven history with quarterbacks.  Justin Herbert regressed after he left SD.  The Eagles only started running more after Steichen started calling plays.  Look what he's doing with Anthony Richardson.  He's a special coach.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know Gannon said what he said about that but.... things got drastically better once Siri gave up play calling to Shane.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

Cowboys have the Cardinals and the Patriots before they get punched in the mouth by the 49ers. Unless the patriots do it first. 

The hype on them will only get worse after next week.

The more hype... the more pressure on Dak... the more he folds in the big game. He's not built for it. They'd be better served being under the radar without the high expectations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

I know Gannon said what he said about that but.... things got drastically better once Siri gave up play calling to Shane.  

Johnson is finding his way... Hurts was excellent against the blitz and they ran Minny out of that BS that NE did. No one will catch the Eagles off guard copying NEs success that's for sure. They'll get a big dose of that OL killing their little LBs going forward. Show that look if you want to.

4 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

it is the next Mediocrity in Line Philosophy. Instead of opening up the process and scouting talent, why not promote the "nice" guy who was already here.? I am not impressed with Johnson so far. If he still calls at least 40% running plays, I will tolerate him. But giving the amount of time that he did spend here...he should have started better. 

He actually did a pretty good job scheming guys open against Minny then killing their looks that NE was successful with punishing them with the run game. Shows that he made adjustments and that's all we can ask really. Gotta give him some time OCs gotta start somewhere. Players have to execute too. Let's not pretend that Hurts was making all the right reads the last 2 weeks. There were opportunities and a lot of meat left on the bone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, judunno said:

He actually did a pretty good job scheming guys open against Minny then killing their looks that NE was successful with punishing them with the run game. Shows that he made adjustments and that's all we can ask really. Gotta give him some time OCs gotta start somewhere. Players have to execute too. Let's not pretend that Hurts was making all the right reads the last 2 weeks. There were opportunities and a lot of meat left on the bone.

I’m not really ashamed, or even surprised, that Belichek was able to throw a scheme at our new offensive coordinator in week one of the season that he didn’t see coming.

I am optimistic that he/they made an adjustment that was successful, but he’ll have to be able to make them within the game not the next week to have the success we’re expecting.

• Like 1