Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

12 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Desai really did last night. It's exciting to watch.

He also made really good adjustments at halftime of the Rams game and they dominated that 2nd half.  I feel like we've been complaining about halftime adjustments for years, it was nice to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

He also made really good adjustments at halftime of the Rams game and they dominated that 2nd half.  I feel like we've been complaining about halftime adjustments for years, it was nice to see.

Yeah, it was bumpy but he's getting better and doing it with a lot of injuries in the secondary. It's so nice to have a DC who can make adjustments.

• Like 2

Stop with the QB draws inside the RZ, please??!! With the Birds TE and WR's, the ball should go to them!!

And where are the other two RB's, Boston and Penny?? Are they in the doghouse for some reason?? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Stop with the QB draws inside the RZ, please??!! With the Birds TE and WR's, the ball should go to them!!

And where are the other two RB's, Boston and Penny?? Are they in the doghouse for some reason?? 

Please get Kenny G off the field.

7 minutes ago, EagleFan85 said:

Please get Kenny G off the field.

At a minimum, change it up and get a different look out there for the Defense to see. Almost every play - it seems - Hurts is in shotgun with an RB to his right/left. 

Put Hurts under Center, have 1 or 2 RBs in the backfield, motion out 1 RB, BOOM a handoff to Penny. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

At a minimum, change it up and get a different look out there for the Defense to see. Almost every play - it seems - Hurts is in shotgun with an RB to his right/left. 

Put Hurts under Center, have 1 or 2 RBs in the backfield, motion out 1 RB, BOOM a handoff to Penny. 

If only we could get a Rashad Penny sighting. I would love to see the guy run the ball. Heard he is a tough powerhouse type back. Seems we could've used a guy like that these last few weeks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Are we sure Hurts isn't checking to these based on defensive alignment? I swore he audibled into that a few times last night 

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Are we sure Hurts isn't checking to these based on defensive alignment? I swore he audibled into that a few times last night 

You think he checked to a QB draw on 3rd down??? If so, UUUGGGHHHH, 

51 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

You think he checked to a QB draw on 3rd down??? If so, UUUGGGHHHH, 

Im suspicious... hard to place blame when we have no clue who's making the final calls... suspects are threefold. Siri, Johnson, or Hurts

• Like 2

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Im suspicious... hard to place blame when we have no clue who's making the final calls... suspects are threefold. Siri, Johnson, or Hurts

Always got to know who to blame.... All 3 make calls so all 3 are to blame

• Like 2

Maybe there's another problem we're unaware of - like in the QB room with the QB coach, or like with the QB's knee - in addition to any shortcomings of BJ as an OC

7 hours ago, Procus said:

Maybe there's another problem we're unaware of - like in the QB room with the QB coach, or like with the QB's knee - in addition to any shortcomings of BJ as an OC

The loss of Steichen weakened two coaching spots simultaneously ... OC and QB coach.  Similar to when Groh was promoted from WR coach to OC ... he was doing pretty darn good as a WR coach ... the WRs were terrible the next couple of seasons after he moved up.  In both cases, our window was as wide open as it could possible get ... never understood not wanting to maximize our chances and fill the vacant spot with a seasoned OC with a wealth of experience calling plays, involved in play design, creating game plans, etc.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 11:50 AM, time2rock said:

The loss of Steichen weakened two coaching spots simultaneously ... OC and QB coach.  Similar to when Groh was promoted from WR coach to OC ... he was doing pretty darn good as a WR coach ... the WRs were terrible the next couple of seasons after he moved up.  In both cases, our window was as wide open as it could possible get ... never understood not wanting to maximize our chances and fill the vacant spot with a seasoned OC with a wealth of experience calling plays, involved in play design, creating game plans, etc.  

The reasoning behind the decision was simple, Hurts has always improved as he gains familiarity with his OC, that's why there was a huge leap in his first to second year with Steichen, Sirianni wanted to promote from in house for that reason, plus it's Siri's offense ultimately and he just wanted a guy to run that.

Eagles fans need to get real, they're ****ing about a rookie OC who currently has the offense comfortably top 10 in pretty much every offensive category there is. Is he running the offense perfectly? No, not at all, but there are 20 - 25 teams in the league that would take our offensive problems off our hands right now no questions asked.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

3rd down and needing to eat clock late in the 4th, Brian Johnson be like:

47AEDC5C-60F6-40C4-B8A7-B36B894756B2.gif

I'm pretty sure Johnson nor Siri told Hurts to go deep.

I can't shake the feeling that they are stingy with the playbook.  Its like they want to run a vanilla offense with junk teams (ie. Jets) and even early in games against tougher opponents.  The playbook in the first half last night was terrible I thought.  But, they came out after half running some much more creative looks....then things kind of went off the rails again.  Obviously, there is no excuse for the log throw to AJ on 3rd and 3 with the game on the line, but I think that was more on Hurts.

Maybe they just don't have enough creative plays?  Or maybe, they are trying not to use them until absolutely necessary?  I dunno, but we got lucky last night and its just a matter of time before our luck runs out. 

1 hour ago, judunno said:

I'm pretty sure Johnson nor Siri told Hurts to go deep.

You know, I would hope not.  And if that was an audible by Hurts, then I would hope Siri and average Johnson would chew him out at some point during film study.  Be that as it may, I am still not impressed with average Johnson.  I prefer above average Johnson. 

Seems like he needs to understand situational football a little better.  Sometimes we have a certain down and distance and the play just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1