Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

36 minutes ago, Kz! said:

It's definitely criminal that they didn't get Swift more touches in week 1. I'm a fan of Gainwell's, but Swift is just clearly on another level. 

You can't overuse Swift given his prior injury history. 

• Like 2

BJ going pass heavy at the start. Run the ball, set up the rpo, which will set up the pass.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

Meh, I'm all for a RBBC approach, but one carry is insane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Now Swift on the other hand. He's pretty much a perfect fit for the offensive line style. Really good. And his pass pro is good enough as well. In my opinion Swift should start and it's probably not close.

TBF Gainwell looked pretty good in New England but missed the Vikings game because he hurt his ribs. Swift played like man possessed against the Vikings.  I think if the Eagles stick to a run heavy gameplan (and I think they should), they should split the load. And use Scott as change of pace (who left the game with a concussion too).

10 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Meh, I'm all for a RBBC approach, but one carry is insane.

Criminall to give him 1 carry. Makes me wonder what they saw in practice to even think of such a thing

8 minutes ago, toolg said:

TBF Gainwell looked pretty good in New England but missed the Vikings game because he hurt his ribs. Swift played like man possessed against the Vikings.  I think if the Eagles stick to a run heavy gameplan (and I think they should), they should split the load. And use Scott as change of pace (who left the game with a concussion too).

Swift has proven talent and skill to be a 1. Kenny should rotate with Penny/Scott. I would’ve loved to see some more Penny over Scott. Having 4 and scratching one seems a bit wasteful imo. 

10 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

Swift has proven talent and skill to be a 1. Kenny should rotate with Penny/Scott. I would’ve loved to see some more Penny over Scott. Having 4 and scratching one seems a bit wasteful imo. 

rn Penny looks like a bench warmer. He is such a liability if he is asked to block. His role is to come off the bench in a situation like last night, when Gainwell was ruled out and Scott left the game early.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Procus said:

Yeah I doubt he lasts 14+ weeks on a heavy workload.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JohnB said:

Seems like every time the Eags go to the Super Bowl, the coaching staff gets pilfered the following season. Same thing happened to Doug. Maybe we should stop going to the Super Bowl. :groovy:

Don’t worry, Gannon will be available again for the 2025 season. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

BJ going pass heavy at the start. Run the ball, set up the rpo, which will set up the pass.

Agreed, take some pressure off Hurts to start the game. Let him find his rhythm while still moving the chains. Our receivers can eat in the second half, if needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toolg said:

rn Penny looks like a bench warmer. He is such a liability if he is asked to block. His role is to come off the bench in a situation like last night, when Gainwell was ruled out and Scott left the game early.

Yeah, he did not look good last night. I figured he could soften up that tired Vikings defense but he didn’t do anything except negate a TD on a holding penalty. I understand why he was a healthy scratch last week. 

2 hours ago, toolg said:

He’s a running back not a blocking back. If he can average 6 YPC idc about his blocking tbh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

True but he shouldn't need to have a heavy workload.  We should be running the ball 30 times or so a game, and that can be split between 3-4 backs so they all stay fresh. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

True but he shouldn't need to have a heavy workload.  We should be running the ball 30 times or so a game, and that can be split between 3-4 backs so they all stay fresh. 

Yeah I completely agree it should've been a heavy dose of run with RBBC from Game 1

• Like 1

These guys are both first time coordinators........and the defense has a bunch of new guys and the offense has 2 new RBs.....

It's going to take some time for these guys to adjust and learn......it's fortunate that the eagles can beat you any number of ways and that they have dominate offensive and defensive lines.

But I think one of the bigger problems is that Hurts is simply going thru his reads too slow......He looks at the #1 too long and is never getting to his 3rd and 4th read.  It's so easy to see....he has gotten better at anticipation but it's still too slow.  

He's had this problem since he got here and it's one of the development issues that has taken the longest.  They have to get the running option out of his head, because he's looking for a lane too early in his dropbacks.  As soon as he feels pressure, he lowers his eyes and the pass will never come.

It's his biggest hurtle to yet overcome.....

• Like 1

Maybe the plan all along was to keep Swift fresh for the Thursday Philly opener? 2 games in 5 days, and Gainwell and Scott got banged up. And they used the pass early on Thursday to set up the running game. See, you're all playing checkers while BJ is playing chess.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, toolg said:

Don't sell Rashaad Penny short.  Eagles can use him the way Jordan Howard was used - a power back to grind it out in the second after when the team already has the lead.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

Maybe the plan all along was to keep Swift fresh for the Thursday Philly opener? 2 games in 5 days, and Gainwell and Scott got banged up. And they used the pass early on Thursday to set up the running game. See, you're all playing checkers while BJ is playing chess.

I think the team was hesitant to use him in the opening game with the slippery field conditions on the road against a Belichick defense.

Both Coordinators will be learning on the job on game days. It is what it is. 

The positive about last night was that BJ (or Nick?) made the adjustment to run the darn ball in the 2nd quarter. And it worked. 

Johnson is getting way too much crap. The fact of the matter is, Hurts is having a hard time reading defenses, especially pre-snap. I'm not sure if it's a "blue print" but this is the second week in a row the opposing defense has done a lot of disguising and zone blitz's. Johnson has made some questionable calls but if the QB plays just a little bit better it makes him look better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Yeah, he did not look good last night. I figured he could soften up that tired Vikings defense but he didn’t do anything except negate a TD on a holding penalty. I understand why he was a healthy scratch last week. 

He only had 3 carries. Bigger concern is pass Pro. I didn't realize how bad he was. Clearly why he's not out there.

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Johnson is getting way too much crap. The fact of the matter is, Hurts is having a hard time reading defenses, especially pre-snap. I'm not sure if it's a "blue print" but this is the second week in a row the opposing defense has done a lot of disguising and zone blitz's. Johnson has made some questionable calls but if the QB plays just a little bit better it makes him look better.

It's an improvement over last week so baby steps. Like... Deadpool 2 baby steps.

7 hours ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

None of these backs could. None of them can sustain that kind of workload and in fact most backs in the league couldn’t either. Miles Sanders couldn’t sustain that kind of workload if he were still an Eagle. 

1 hour ago, judunno said:

He only had 3 carries. Bigger concern is pass Pro. I didn't realize how bad he was. Clearly why he's not out there.

Yep. I saw it pretty quickly, his pas pro is pretty awful.