Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

6 hours ago, Procus said:

That's incorrect.  Steichen has a proven history with quarterbacks.  Justin Herbert regressed after he left SD.  The Eagles only started running more after Steichen started calling plays.  Look what he's doing with Anthony Richardson.  He's a special coach.

I’m not denying that. But this offense didn’t suddenly become a juggernaut as soon as he took over. As I said at first what he did was he established the run and built from there.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:29 PM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Swift and Penny can carry the load.

Let's hope Penny has more than what he's shown thus far.......dude is looking done.

9 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Let's hope Penny has more than what he's shown thus far.......dude is looking done.

The hole he tried to run up against the Vikings he got 7 or 8 yards, but it felt like if he were just a little bit faster he could have ran for at least thirty. The offense pretty much stalled when Swift came out and Penny went in. 

On 9/19/2023 at 4:04 AM, Infam said:

Maybe we are too harsh on the offense?

Maybe I’ve been a little too hash on Johnson, because I’m not so sure year one Steichen even makes some of these adjustments. Still year one Steichen still made the playoffs so that’s not too bad of a criticism. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Infam said:

Cosell thinks what Brian Johnson did was ‚brilliant‘. 😄

Sirianni and Johnson have to figure out how to get Jalen going. I hate to say it, but it feels like he’s reverting to some of his bad habits. The difference is teams are really starting to take away Jalen’s ability to run with his legs. Jalen is missing some of these middle route guys who are open and he he’s also starting to bail out a little too soon from my perspective. The coaches need to get their quarterback on track. 

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The difference is teams are really starting to take away Jalen’s ability to run with his legs.  

He looks tentative and I think it has to do with the injury from last year. It's great that he is being more cautious in trying to protect himself, but it looks like he isn't playing on instinct and is in his own head which may be causing some of the issues. 

Hurts is just missing open guys. Not yet seeing the field with a lot of comfort so far. I hope it'll come soon for him. Now is that on him or the new OC? 

For example, he's missed the TE quite a few times. If AJ is running it deep and bringing a CB AND a Safety with him, then someone is most likely open underneath. The TE. Saw it twice against NE and twice against the Vikes. But Hurts chucks it deep to his primary read. I know he trusts Smitty and AJ, but check that ish down if you have a wide open guy.

8 hours ago, Mat said:

He looks tentative and I think it has to do with the injury from last year. It's great that he is being more cautious in trying to protect himself, but it looks like he isn't playing on instinct and is in his own head which may be causing some of the issues. 

It does feel like teams are containing the outside when it comes to Jalen. They’re trying their best not to give him the edge. I really want to see how the OC, Coach, and Quarterback respond after everyone has been critical of them after last week. It would be a good time to see Jalen drop at least 250 passing. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

It does feel like teams are containing the outside when it comes to Jalen. They’re trying their best not to give him the edge. I really want to see how the OC, Coach, and Quarterback respond after everyone has been critical of them after last week. It would be a good time to see Jalen drop at least 250 passing. 

I'm not putting to much into the last game. Thursday night games are tough. Especially when you played the 4:30 game on Sunday.  Plus they are throwing new stuff at Hurts, a good QB picks zones apart all day, I think Hurts is more than capable of getting there soon. 

Ill start to be concerned if they do the same against the bucs. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm not putting to much into the last game. Thursday night games are tough. Especially when you played the 4:30 game on Sunday.  Plus they are throwing new stuff at Hurts, a good QB picks zones apart all day, I think Hurts is more than capable of getting there soon. 

Ill start to be concerned if they do the same against the bucs. 

It was a lot to ask. Two games in less than a week and needing to prepare for that. The Eagles walked away with two wins. The Vikings walked away with two losses. Honestly I’d be more concerned if I were the Bengals right now than the Eagles. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It was a lot to ask. Two games in less than a week and needing to prepare for that. The Eagles walked away with two wins. The Vikings walked away with two losses. Honestly I’d be more concerned if I were the Bengals right now than the Eagles. 

Bengals offensive line is a mess, they could be in big trouble for sure. 

On 9/21/2023 at 11:13 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Bengals offensive line is a mess, they could be in big trouble for sure. 

So much made over two weeks of football. No one will remember what happened in week 3 come January. 

Looked a little better last night, still have some work to do. Just keep building each week. Red zone efficiency can obviously improve, but I like that the offense is adjusting to what defenses are throwing at them and finding ways to move the ball. 200+ on the ground and almost 300 yards through the air… I’ll take that every week with a little better red zone results.

• Like 1

Solid game. Was it perfect? No, but they seldom are. Good solid win and we were able to salt away the final 10 mins which is what separates the great teams from the good teams.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 11:58 PM, Joe Shades 73 said:

I am sure they learned their lesson, Swift is number one back and penny number 2, fix the middle of the defense, that is not a coordinator problem, that is a talent problem

Come again?

• Haha 1

he isn’t cutting it. big mistake promoting this guy to OC. aside from a few big plays downfield, a Hurts scramble and the sneak, we got nothing. QB looks lost, we won’t run the ball, red zone offense sucks. 

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Come again?

Thats what she said

Maybe it’s time for Sirianni to step up and take an active role in the play calling though this felt more like a 2021 Sirianni play calling job against the Jets.

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Maybe it’s time for Sirianni to step up and take an active role in the play calling though this felt more like a 2021 Sirianni play calling job against the Jets.

Sirianni doesn't know jack, it's time to move on from him and and Johnson.

I thought I was watching a High School game with all of those called runs, the offense is elementary.