Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

Just now, EagleVA said:

Sirianni doesn't know jack, it's time to move on from him and and Johnson.

I thought I was watching a High School game with all of those called runs, the offense is elementary.

They’re not firing anyone anytime soon. 

• Like 1

There are playcalls I've hated BUT this is really the same offense they ran last year.  Steichen called the plays he didn't design the offense. Also if players caught the ball and didn't fumble then they all look better.  The turnovers this season have been killer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Maybe it’s time for Sirianni to step up and take an active role in the play calling though this felt more like a 2021 Sirianni play calling job against the Jets.

I dont trust Siri calling plays either unforunately...

We're stuck with Johnson for the rest of the season, only thing I can think of is that we bring in a outside consultant with game design. 

As much as I want to defend Hurts I know he was influential in Johnson getting the OC job when we should have went outside the org 

9 minutes ago, Birdman said:

I dont trust Siri calling plays either unforunately...

We're stuck with Johnson for the rest of the season, only thing I can think of is that we bring in a outside consultant with game design. 

As much as I want to defend Hurts I know he was influential in Johnson getting the OC job when we should have went outside the org 

Well Johnson was instrumental in Jalen’s improvement. It’s possible that this could be another Groh situation. I hope not. It’s hard to lay this last game Simple’s on Johnson. The team went on a 90 plus yard drive. Things were working good until they weren’t anymore.

It doesn’t seem like Johnson can make adjustments. Scored 14 in the 1st half, 0 in the 2nd half. 

Would it be a huge deal to let Hurts do it? Why not give him a few series and see how he does. He's in the trenches. Let him try to be P. Manning for a couple series.

On 9/14/2023 at 11:38 PM, Son_of_a_G said:

Both the OC and DC suck. Glad they at least figured out that they needed to run the ball.

When did they figure that out? Yesterday was like a rebellion against the run game.

The Brian Johnson hate is ridiculous and so misguided. Has there been play calls he'd like to have back? Sure. Last year there was as well. Remember Steichen's idiotic bubble screens he'd run 5 times a game that never went anywhere? People came into this season with a preconception that he was going to suck and are therefore blaming all the offensive issues on him.

The team going into the Jets game was averaging more ppg than last season. And this is with the QB 2nd in the NFL in INTs.

The players need to execute and play better, period. If not for several drops and fumbles, this team puts up a ton of offense vs a great defense and puts up way more points than they did.

Fans have a tendency to excuse the players because they like them and put it on the coaches because it's convenient. And yes, throwing was smart yesterday. They moved the ball at will when throwing and their run game wasn't working at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not happy with the offense but yall got to remember Steichen struggled his first year also. not to mention Sirianni a couple of weeks ago stated that he overrules Brian Johnson on plays from time to time. No way to know who is actually calling the plays. 

It is a combination of playcalling and execution. Brian Johnson completely abandoned the run yesterday. Yes, Lane Johnson got hurt but you got to keep the defense honest. All those passing plays let the Jets Dline pin their ears back and attack Jack and Sua. Then look at execution, ball security, drops, and miscommunications (AJ Brown not knowing Hurts was going to throw it deep when if he didnt slow down at the top of his route he would have a TD).

Give it some time people. Brian Johnson is starting to put his own sprinkles in his offense with throwing it more to the RB. Its a work in progress. 

• Like 2

I don't like what Nick said in the after game Presser when asked about the Pass/Run ratio in the 2nd half.

He said something like 'we weren't ready to bleed the clock yet with the run right there'. Huh?!!!?!!?! You only use the run to bleed the clock??!! Ugh.

You use it to impose your will on the Defense, you use it to tire the Defense out a bit, you use it to get the LBs and Safeties peeking into the back field, AND you use it to set up Play Action passing plays!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

The Brian Johnson hate is ridiculous and so misguided. Has there been play calls he'd like to have back? Sure. Last year there was as well. Remember Steichen's idiotic bubble screens he'd run 5 times a game that never went anywhere? People came into this season with a preconception that he was going to suck and are therefore blaming all the offensive issues on him.

The team going into the Jets game was averaging more ppg than last season. And this is with the QB 2nd in the NFL in INTs.

The players need to execute and play better, period. If not for several drops and fumbles, this team puts up a ton of offense vs a great defense and puts up way more points than they did.

Fans have a tendency to excuse the players because they like them and put it on the coaches because it's convenient. And yes, throwing was smart yesterday. They moved the ball at will when throwing and their run game wasn't working at all.

I saw a lot of lackadaisical play out there... like they didn't want to be there nor wanted to get hurt on that field. I'm pretty sure that played a part in it. Playing a bunch of scrubs on a bad field isn't the greatest motivator. L was the result. It was like a lot of For who For what going on. Guess the message that the 9ers took an L to some scrubs earlier didn't resonate.

1 hour ago, judunno said:

I saw a lot of lackadaisical play out there... like they didn't want to be there nor wanted to get hurt on that field. I'm pretty sure that played a part in it. Playing a bunch of scrubs on a bad field isn't the greatest motivator. L was the result. It was like a lot of For who For what going on. Guess the message that the 9ers took an L to some scrubs earlier didn't resonate.

Maybe there aren't many 'scrubs' in the NFL today. Yes some rosters are stronger than others at a given time but - not being an analytics guy I can't prove this - I think the gap between the best teams and the worst teams in the NFL isn't as wide as it once was. I imagine the salary cap has something to do with that. Cleveland has been the punch line for many a joke but I wonder how much of a joke SF thinks Cleveland is today.

11 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Maybe there aren't many 'scrubs' in the NFL today. Yes some rosters are stronger than others at a given time but - not being an analytics guy I can't prove this - I think the gap between the best teams and the worst teams in the NFL isn't as wide as it once was. I imagine the salary cap has something to do with that. Cleveland has been the punch line for many a joke but I wonder how much of a joke SF thinks Cleveland is today.

San Fran and the Eagles played far from their best football. They did indeed play other professional players but their is certainly a wide margin between the teams that they lost to this past weekend. I'm pretty sure San Fran is whining about Deebo and McCaffrey going down today and the refs. Highly doubtful they think Cleveland is formidable.

This team deserved better than an  "on the job” training candidate to replace Steichen. Hurts deserves better. He’s looked uncomfortable for the most part this season so far. That’s the drawback of BJ as OC and Siri rubber stamping his decisions.
Hopefully they’ll all grow into it and/or correct it, but you gotta fix it now since you’re running into the buzz saw part of the schedule. 

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I'm not happy with the offense but yall got to remember Steichen struggled his first year also. not to mention Sirianni a couple of weeks ago stated that he overrules Brian Johnson on plays from time to time. No way to know who is actually calling the plays. 

It is a combination of playcalling and execution. Brian Johnson completely abandoned the run yesterday. Yes, Lane Johnson got hurt but you got to keep the defense honest. All those passing plays let the Jets Dline pin their ears back and attack Jack and Sua. Then look at execution, ball security, drops, and miscommunications (AJ Brown not knowing Hurts was going to throw it deep when if he didnt slow down at the top of his route he would have a TD).

Give it some time people. Brian Johnson is starting to put his own sprinkles in his offense with throwing it more to the RB. Its a work in progress. 

Actually, that's incorrect.  The Eagles turned Siri's first year around when Siri turned over the play calling duties to Steichen

There is nothing about Brian Johnson's playcalling or scheme that is even above average.

He is the living embodiment of the Peter Principle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Actually, that's incorrect.  The Eagles turned Siri's first year around when Siri turned over the play calling duties to Steichen

Siri said he's designing plays.. maybe that needs to stop. That and dropping back to pass against the 29th ranked run defense damn near 50 times 

• Like 1

Miami has a good defensive front. Let's see how Johnson deals with that in his game plan and play calling. 

• Like 1

Seems like he's making baby steps of improvement but hasn't changed much.

Meanwhile Desai has really improved and adapted, especially given injuries. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Seems like he's making baby steps of improvement but hasn't changed much.

Meanwhile Desai has really improved and adapted, especially given injuries. 

Desai really did last night. It's exciting to watch.