Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

On 12/22/2023 at 1:42 AM, opa-opa said:

The more articles like this I read, the more I feel it's too late to fix anything this season. 

There's no way to fundamentally change the way Hurts and this team plays offense with 3 games left.

Once we lose in the playoffs it's gonna be painful and messy to try to re-make this offense from the ground up. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/12/21/24010182/what-is-wrong-with-philadelphia-eagles-offense-jalen-hurts

Great article. I have seen the same thing for a while. Was foolishly hoping that something would change. But everyone is so tunnel visioned and afraid of change, that it positive change becomes a rare commodity. We are desperately needing a new High Quality OC.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Great article. I have seen the same thing for a while. Was foolishly hoping that something would change. But everyone is so tunnel visioned and afraid of change, that it positive change becomes a rare commodity. We are desperately needing a new High Quality OC.

Yeah but if its ultimately Siriani's offense, then nothing much will change.

4 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Yeah but if its ultimately Siriani's offense, then nothing much will change.

Maybe not but I think they’ve got to try it and see. It may be the scheme and a new OC / play caller would help prove that. But a new OC / play caller might also just bring something else that just gets things on the right track. Look at Buffalo… I’m sure Brady hasn’t changed too much in terms of scheme but that offense is much better.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe not but I think they’ve got to try it and see. It may be the scheme and a new OC / play caller would help prove that. But a new OC / play caller might also just bring something else that just gets things on the right track. Look at Buffalo… I’m sure Brady hasn’t changed too much in terms of scheme but that offense is much better.

Can’t go with a new OC even in the off-season. Hurts needs the consistency that he can’t seem to get. Last year was the first time Jalen got consecutive seasons with the same OC and he was an MVP level quarterback. This year new OC and Hurts took a step back. Do we really want to do that again? They have to let Johnson come back next year, but ultimately I’d like to see Sirianni take over play calling. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Can’t go with a new OC even in the off-season. Hurts needs the consistency that he can’t seem to get. Last year was the first time Jalen got consecutive seasons with the same OC and he was an MVP level quarterback. This year new OC and Hurts took a step back. Do we really want to do that again? They have to let Johnson come back next year, but ultimately I’d like to see Sirianni take over play calling. 

I think Johnson and Sirianni are too inexperienced to be all there is on that side of the offense. they are going to need an experienced game planning individual as a resource on their staff. I was questioning if BJ will have the same level of growth as Michal Clay with the ST where from one year to the next it will be night and day. This is possible but I do feel that game planning is something that is not a strong point of either one of these guys.

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Soumak said:

I think Johnson and Sirianni are too inexperienced to be all there is on that side of the offense. they are going to need an experienced game planning individual as a resource on their staff. I was questioning if BJ will have the same level of growth as Michal Clay with the ST where from one year to the next it will be night and day. This is possible but I do feel that game planning is something that is not a strong point of either one of these guys.

Not for nothing but the Eagles are 11-4. Is anyone in KC right now thinking that AR is too inexperienced to be calling plays too, because their offense looks atrocious right now. Also how quickly we forget year one Steichen was basically a lesser version of year one Johnson. The expectations are high but consider everything involved. The defense is giving the offense no help and no short fields. The offensive play caller is a rookie play caller dealing with a team that has had multiple injuries especially to the offensive line. Despite all of the struggles, they’re still in a position to take the number one seed in the NFC. There won’t be wholesale changes. The defense has been way worse than the offense this year and there has been a much bigger drop off from Gannon to Desai. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Soumak said:

Thank You! Neither Siri, or BJ should be calling offensive plays. We need fresh Philosophy/ Perspective at the helm of our offense.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing but the Eagles are 11-4. Is anyone in KC right now thinking that AR is too inexperienced to be calling plays too, because their offense looks atrocious right now. Also how quickly we forget year one Steichen was basically a lesser version of year one Johnson. The expectations are high but consider everything involved. The defense is giving the offense no help and no short fields. The offensive play caller is a rookie play caller dealing with a team that has had multiple injuries especially to the offensive line. Despite all of the struggles, they’re still in a position to take the number one seed in the NFC. There won’t be wholesale changes. The defense has been way worse than the offense this year and there has been a much bigger drop off from Gannon to Desai. 

Disagree. This team has sailed on a momentum of star power and last year heroics. I am pretty sure that at this point the vanilla offense that we are presenting has been figured out by other better teams. The goal was never to win 11 games, but to start jelling at the right time so we can win another SB. No one at this point sees that. I hope that something changes before they are dismissed in the playoffs, and somehow they find a way to finish strong…so there is something to build on next year. If we are blown out in our last game…it is going to be one miserable off season of pointing fingers and blaming… at which point..players like rats …will abandon this sinking ship team.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Steichen has a proven record of calling plays as does AR. Neither BJ nor Sirranni has a proven record of this. So I would trust AR to get his issues corrected because he has experience to drawn from same with Steichen. What experience does BJ or Sirranni draw from? I would argue that the offense is hurting the defense. When you keep going 3 and out and you know your defense is older and definitely not as loaded as the offense, you are asking your defense to play more leading to people getting tired at the end of the season. The offense keeps turning the ball over and help the other team score points by giving the defense terrible field position. Thats not the say that it absolves the defense of all issues but the offense is our stronger side and its not helping the defense stay off the field. Its a team game. When once side is loaded and its not sharing that load with the other side, the other side often gets exposed.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not sure bringing him back just for consistency is the right move though. He’s shown nothing to suggest he can grow and be a top play caller in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

Disagree. This team has sailed on a momentum of star power and last year heroics. I am pretty sure that at this point the vanilla offense that we are presenting has been figured out by other better teams. The goal was never to win 11 games, but to start jelling at the right time so we can win another SB. No one at this point sees that. I hope that something changes before they are dismissed in the playoffs, and somehow they find a way to finish strong…so there is something to build on next year. If we are blown out in our last game…it is going to be one miserable off season of pointing fingers and blaming… at which point..players like rats …will abandon this sinking ship team.

This team has 11 wins…. The Eagles aren’t going to go out and get a new OC after that despite how angry that is going to make some of you. Did they change Steichen or Gannon after year one? The offense could barely pass, and the defense was letting every quarterback complete 80 to 90 percent of their passes on them. Nope they’re going to make changes with players and Howie going to get back into the lab, but they’re going to stay the course. 

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I’m not sure bringing him back just for consistency is the right move though. He’s shown nothing to suggest he can grow and be a top play caller in the NFL.

The Eagles are in the top ten and points per game, and his team has a higher scoring average than the great Steichen and whatever Frank Reich was doing out there this season. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

In 2022 the Eagles averaged 29.1 ppg. In 2023 they average 26.1. Now when you consider that in 2022 they played one of the easiest schedules in the league compared to 2023 the most difficult, and when you consider that in 2021 (Steichen first year being a play caller) they averages 25.5 points per game, is Johnson really as bad as some of you think especially considering how far too often this offense keeps turning the ball over while this defense rarely is getting turnovers? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

In 2022 the Eagles averaged 29.1 ppg. In 2023 they average 26.1. Now when you consider that in 2022 they played one of the easiest schedules in the league compared to 2023 the most difficult, and when you consider that in 2021 (Steichen first year being a play caller) they averages 25.5 points per game, is Johnson really as bad as some of you think especially considering how far too often this offense keeps turning the ball over while this defense rarely is getting turnovers? 

Pts per game does not show you whats happening in the game. They are big play hunting pretty much after the first few schemed plays. This is not getting the rest the defense needs. Gotta play complimentary football. You know your defense is older and have injured players. Why run an offense as a high risk high reward? Do methodical drivers rather than TD or 3 and out. change some field position making it tough on the other offense. Eagles are not doing that. The are too fixated on big plays.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Soumak said:

Pts per game does not show you whats happening in the game. They are big play hunting pretty much after the first few schemed plays. This is not getting the rest the defense needs. Gotta play complimentary football. You know your defense is older and have injured players. Why run an offense as a high risk high reward? Do methodical drivers rather than TD or 3 and out. change some field position making it tough on the other offense. Eagles are not doing that. The are too fixated on big plays.

I’d say they did dial back the big play hunting against the Giants and they actually ran a mostly complete offense, and you’re right that PPG doesn’t tell the whole story like how the defense last year did a much better job setting the offense up by getting turnovers. Let’s just take a few series out of the last three games. Is it Johnson’s fault he calls three long drives against the Cowboys and his best three offensive players fumble? How about Johnson calling a play that sets up the Eagles fastest receiver one on one only for the quarterback to throw it slightly short, and the receiver to do nothing but fall down leading to a pick. Is that on Johnson? How about this last game where Johnson calls an option route. The receiver runs an in and the quarterback throws an out leading to a pick six. Is that Johnson or poor execution by the offensive players? Everything has perspective. Statistically Jalen will post more yards and tds than his MVP level year, but what’s different? Jalen Hurts in 2022 had six interceptions while this year he has 13 hence why his passer rating has dropped over ten points. The players are not executing the offense well enough and they’re just turning the ball over way too much. Turnovers and penalties to me are more on the HC than the coordinators especially since Sirianni doesn’t call the plays. 

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d say they did dial back the big play hunting against the Giants and they actually ran a mostly complete offense, and you’re right that PPG doesn’t tell the whole story like how the defense last year did a much better job setting the offense up by getting turnovers. Let’s just take a few series out of the last three games. Is it Johnson’s fault he calls three long drives against the Cowboys and his best three offensive players fumble? How about Johnson calling a play that sets up the Eagles fastest receiver one on one only for the quarterback to throw it slightly short, and the receiver to do nothing but fall down leading to a pick. Is that on Johnson? How about this last game where Johnson calls an option route. The receiver runs an in and the quarterback throws an out leading to a pick six. Is that Johnson or poor execution by the offensive players? Everything has perspective. Statistically Jalen will post more yards and tds than his MVP level year, but what’s different? Jalen Hurts in 2022 had six interceptions while this year he has 13 hence why his passer rating has dropped over ten points. The players are not executing the offense well enough and they’re just turning the ball over way too much. Turnovers and penalties to me are more on the HC than the coordinators especially since Sirianni doesn’t call the plays. 

Whose fault is it…that one player after another, after another finds a way to sabotage the team and shoot themselves in the foot?
Siri is not disciplining his players. Most likely because of this, there are conflicts in the locker room, which later on transfer to the field. 

7 hours ago, Soumak said:

Steichen has a proven record of calling plays as does AR. Neither BJ nor Sirranni has a proven record of this. So I would trust AR to get his issues corrected because he has experience to drawn from same with Steichen. What experience does BJ or Sirranni draw from? I would argue that the offense is hurting the defense. When you keep going 3 and out and you know your defense is older and definitely not as loaded as the offense, you are asking your defense to play more leading to people getting tired at the end of the season. The offense keeps turning the ball over and help the other team score points by giving the defense terrible field position. Thats not the say that it absolves the defense of all issues but the offense is our stronger side and its not helping the defense stay off the field. Its a team game. When once side is loaded and its not sharing that load with the other side, the other side often gets exposed.

Steichen had zero record of calling plays until he got here. Heck he wasn’t even supposed to call the plays here. 😂

6 hours ago, Soumak said:

To me, it feels like they are just forcing things. They want so desperately to have a "pretty win" that they keep trying to force the chunk plays. I guess even the law of averages would suggest that "pretty win" is getting closer --- so they just keep chasing it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

To me, it feels like they are just forcing things. They want so desperately to have a "pretty win" that they keep trying to force the chunk plays. I guess even the law of averages would suggest that "pretty win" is getting closer --- so they just keep chasing it. 

Agree. And the force it via a path (deep shots) that are "all or nothing" and very often jump balls plays that get zero yac.  If they want to generate more explosive plays they need to focus on evolving the offense to get more players into space with open field to yac.  That way you can still get the shorter complete and some yards to move the sticks, and you get the repetition potential to break one for an explosive.  That also means using less inside zone that has very low explosive potential.

The offensive design is crap.  I haven't liked it from day 1 and I feel like talent has carried this team the last couple years (and a great Oline coach).  I am fine with Sirianni has head coach I think he is a decent big picture guy and culture setter.  I just want him to have that growth mindset he talks about all the time for his offensive scheme.  Right now he is starting to look like he is full of crap to me because they keep doing the same crap over and over and expecting a magic fix.

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Is it Johnson’s fault he calls three long drives against the Cowboys and his best three offensive players fumble?

To a degree, absolutely this is the coaches fault.  Being a coach, an offensive coordinator, is more than just calling plays.  It's about properly coaching up players - coaching them on fundamentals, instilling discipline.  Sloppy play by players is a reflection of sloppy coaching by coaches.

Just now, Procus said:

To a degree, absolutely this is the coaches fault.  Being a coach, an offensive coordinator, is more than just calling plays.  It's about properly coaching up players - coaching them on fundamentals.  Sloppy play by players is a reflection of sloppy coaching by coaches.

Fundamental play (or lack there of) is on the Head coach IMO. Johnson isn’t the one running the Eagles very short practice times. That’s on Siri. 

On 12/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Whose fault is it…that one player after another, after another finds a way to sabotage the team and shoot themselves in the foot?
Siri is not disciplining his players. Most likely because of this, there are conflicts in the locker room, which later on transfer to the field. 

Issues with fundamentals, discipline, penalties, and turnovers are on the HC IMO. Who’s the guy who blows up on the sidelines? Who is the guy yelling at fans? If this team lacks fundamentals and discipline then they’re following their leader. 

• Thanks 1

The only thing that changed with the offense from last season until now was Steichen out, Johnson in. 

No other major changes.

And it's not Johnson's fault why?

• Like 2