Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator discussion

Procus

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think he said that a few weeks ago to be fair. Still very very stupid but I don’t think it is new.

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-oc-brian-johnson-we-have-to-make-sure-we-get-wr-a-j-brown-going

In Sunday's loss, Brown finished with four catches for 53 yards, including just one catch on one target for 18 yards in the second half. Eagles offensive coordinator Brian Johnson pointed to the Eagles' lack of plays in the final two quarters as the Cardinals controlled the clock as part of the reason for Brown's lack of targets, but admitted sometimes you just need to get your playmakers the ball.

"A.J. is a great player, and we've got to force him the ball sometimes and make sure we get him going," Johnson said Tuesday, via the team's official transcript.

• Like 1

Might be time to bring in some new offensive coaching talent. Like Kalen Deboer, the Washington coach who has lit the college world on fire. I admittedly haven't watched too many college games but he took Washington to a 14-0 record off a healthy offense. This is Washington who is not known as a perennial power and just knocked off Texas on it's way to the CFP Championship. He also has done it since taking over just a couple years ago. Teams don't just come out of nowhere.

I think in the off-season, the Offensive side of the Coaching Staff will remain the same. But, the Defensive Staff may get ripped up.

It's a shame that they went into this bounce back SB year with 2 new Coordinators. It has proven - IMO - to be a failure and that rests on the HC.

With some of their older players probably retiring after this frustration of a season, their winning window is quietly closing.

18 hours ago, LacesOut said:

I think in the off-season, the Offensive side of the Coaching Staff will remain the same. But, the Defensive Staff may get ripped up.

It's a shame that they went into this bounce back SB year with 2 new Coordinators. It has proven - IMO - to be a failure and that rests on the HC.

With some of their older players probably retiring after this frustration of a season, their winning window is quietly closing.

I wonder what would be different if the LB group would have been taken seriously in the offseason.  To lose all of the starters and think Nakobe the China Doll would be a suitable replacement is derelict.

Fire Brian Johnson. 

• Like 2

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

Fire Brian Johnson. 

He should have been fired weeks and weeks ago but it wasn’t. I just don’t think he’s going to be.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Fire Brian Johnson. 

Honestly doesn’t matter if they fire him if Nick is going to force the next OC to use this playbook.

If we have just been setting up the rest of the NFL to believe we are completely inept, the regular season has been a huge success. We're out our best 2 WRs and HB, our QB is playing with a dislocated finger, and the defense is blitzing 90% of the time and we are still calling passes with all the receivers running medium and deep routes while our other HB is averaging around 7 ypc. 

You couldn't write a more unbelievable script even if you combined a Jackie Chan movie with Fast and the Furious and an episode of 9-1-1.

Oh sweet baby Jesus PLEASE!!!  

image.png.808aa18540290221b5b78d31372e791b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

6139b3eb-6db6-4065-b5d0-7b07a7b74f3c_tex

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

That's gotta be a joke. 

1 minute ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

That's gotta be a joke. 

It's the Panthers :roll:

• Like 1

IF he goes to Carolina and has success installing his own offense, then we'll know that "Nick's" offense was/is the issue.  

5 minutes ago, MF POON said:

IF he goes to Carolina and has success installing his own offense, then we'll know that "Nick's" offense was/is the issue.  

The offense this year looks quite a bit like it did when Sirianni first got here and was handling play calling (we just didn't have all the talent we have now to get those scrappy wins we were getting earlier in the season).  When Steichen took over play calling it was a completely different offense (which makes me wonder if that was still Nick's offense or Steichen had more freedom to run things "his way").  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The offense this year looks quite a bit like it did when Sirianni first got here and was handling play calling (we just didn't have all the talent we have now to get those scrappy wins we were getting earlier in the season).  When Steichen took over play calling it was a completely different offense (which makes me wonder if that was still Nick's offense or Steichen had more freedom to run things "his way").  

I'm gonna assume it was Steichen being a better playcaller, because I doubt they just installed a completely new offense 6 games into the season.  Again, if the rumors of the FO being too involved are true, then I can't blame Nick/Brian as much as I'd like to.  It really could be a situation where BJ just hasn't gotten a good feel for this team, but it's hard to say which is which..  

1 hour ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

That's gotta be a joke. 

Let's get 2 third rounders for him!

• Haha 1

It's kind of like how Gannon had some interviews after his first year and we were all dumbfounded. They may be looking at him, not because of his play-calling, but because how he works with QBs. They invested a lot of their future in Young and absolutely need to bring in someone that can develop young QBs. 

Obviously, there is the Rooney rule as well. But he would be a good candidate to help develop Young. It's, IMO, very unlikely he gets chosen this year, but teams with openings may want to keep tabs on him and start by interviewing him now and then watching what he does in the future. If he flops here as OC and becomes available, a team may want to add him to their staff in the future. So they take care of the Rooney rule and find out more about a young coach for future reference. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 3:43 PM, Mike030270 said:

Brian needs to go but Nicks game planning has sucked

Maybe he needs someone experienced to help him

No, he needs to go. Look around all the playoff teams are having their coaching staffs poached by teams that were eliminated. 

Its annoying to keep going through offensive highs and lows anytime a coordinator leaves. 

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

Steichen was the brains. We should have promoted him to head coach. And Siri should be promoted to a Head Clown.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MF POON said:

Success? He's not having any success. HE is the problem with this offense and his relationship with Hurts is why he hasn't been demoted yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MisterGreen said:

Success? He's not having any success. HE is the problem with this offense and his relationship with Hurts is why he hasn't been demoted yet.

He could just be bad at calling Nick's offense, which apparently Nick can't even do himself and had to have Steichen take over those duties.  I thought I saw someone state in another thread that he did well coaching in college. I mean the guy was part of why Jalen was MVP last year, but this year stinks calling Nick's plays and has had success in other areas, so yeah, I'm thinking he may have success elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, MF POON said:

He could just be bad at calling Nick's offense, which apparently Nick can't even do himself and had to have Steichen take over those duties.  I thought I saw someone state in another thread that he did well coaching in college. I mean the guy was part of why Jalen was MVP last year, but this year stinks calling Nick's plays and has had success in other areas, so yeah, I'm thinking he may have success elsewhere.

Possible. We'll see, I guess.

I would be 100% SHOCKED if BJ gets a HC job this offseason. SHOCKED.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Obviously, there is the Rooney rule as well

This