EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season... and Post Season Blog

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Lol...Defense was not good enough.  That's why they did it. 

The defense wasn’t that good even before demotion. 

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Starts with protecting Hurts , that didn’t happen , and receivers overall weren’t getting open … hard to win like that 

Coaching. the team had enough talent... not enough talent coaching wise

the Bucs held the Eagles without a third-down or fourth-down conversion . That is only the fourth time in NFL playoff history that has happened since the league began tracking these stats in 1991. 

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Yes, It would be nice to be KC but playoffs in 6 of 7 years and winning and losing a SB ain't a bad track record.

But it's time for Howie to stop patching and build a team, but I think he knew that, he's bee collecting extra picks the last couple years while fielding a winner.

Now he has to blow it up and rebuild, but the last time he did it it took one season to turn it around, I'll be happy if he takes two seasons this time. 😎

To be a respectful contrarian.  Should the Eagles hire a new GM to complete that effort?  Does the FO need a new dynamic in it so that the innate biases in place are removed?

21 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

The team shot their load on the gauntlet games. It sucked the life out of the team and they were never the same again.  No matter what they did, they were done.

That's a horrific take.   Every team in the league had some patch of games where they had to play the top teams back to back to back.  Buffalo was one of them, and they got STRONGER during that time, not weaker.   What the gauntlet did was EXPOSE this team.

2 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

I'm just now hearing the post-game interviews with players, specifically Hurts, and what in the actual F am I listening to?

"Sometimes it's just not your turn."
"It just wasn't our turn."
"It wasn't our turn and I accept that."

WHAT?!

I guess they are acknowledging the script?

2 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

I'm just now hearing the post-game interviews with players, specifically Hurts, and what in the actual F am I listening to?

"Sometimes it's just not your turn."
"It just wasn't our turn."
"It wasn't our turn and I accept that."

WHAT?!

Dude is way too zen.

1 minute ago, UK Eagle said:

To be a respectful contrarian.  Should the Eagles hire a new GM to complete that effort?  Does the FO need a new dynamic in it so that the innate biases in place are removed?

Might as well but we all know that’s not happening. 

What I saw on defense last night was a team that was undisciplined, and was not interested in tackling. (except for a play or two by Milton Williams and Fletch)

Thats all coaching/ lack of leadership on D. 

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

And it got worse.  

9 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

And they got definitively worse. And everybody in the Fing world knew in week 15 it was a panic bad move and that Matt Patricia sucked because you saw it in Detroit and you saw it when he didn’t have Bill Belichick. Changing the Matt Patricia wasn’t fixing your **** personal problems nor the defense that year. So you got definitively worse because they couldn’t stop bad quarterbacks. 

So congrats to everybody on the blog that told with me and @LeanMeanGM it couldn’t get any worse because it got worse as they gave up and they were ****. At least you didn’t have to question the effort out there when desai was there. They just weren’t very good. At least occasionally they look decent and in the second half you had a coach that actually sometimes made adjustments.

4 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Yes.  

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a horrific take.   Every team in the league had some patch of games where they had to play the top teams back to back to back.  Buffalo was one of them, and they got STRONGER during that time, not weaker.   What the gauntlet did was EXPOSE this team.

They shot their load and never got it back. It's a very fair assessment when considering the age of the roster and the positions with issues. They had no answer to the LB and S issues and teams just ate them alive knowing they could not stop it.

The Bills changed OC earlier and you can argue that where Allen stepped up and showed out, Hurts struggled to do that - whether it was injuries taking their toll or whatever - Hurts looked lost and a little soulless.  The Packers went young and are now running hot.  The Eagles stood still, shot their load and flamed out.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

And they got definitively worse. And everybody in the Fing world knew in week 15 it was a panic bad move and that Matt Patricia sucked because you saw it in Detroit and you saw it when he didn’t have Bill Belichick. Changing the Matt Patricia wasn’t fixing your **** personal problems nor the defense that year. So you got definitively worse because they couldn’t stop bad quarterbacks. 

So congrats to everybody on the blog that told with me and @LeanMeanGM it couldn’t get any worse because it got worse as they gave up and they were ****. At least you didn’t have to question the effort out there when desai was there. They just weren’t very good. At least occasionally they look decent and in the second half you had a coach that actually sometimes made adjustments.

Well played ITYS.

They had too many things to think about after the move.   Two captains means no captain.

i-was-wrong-you-were-right.gif

7 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

the Bucs held the Eagles without a third-down or fourth-down conversion . That is only the fourth time in NFL playoff history that has happened since the league began tracking these stats in 1991. 

Refs helped on a few of them.

16 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Bill Simmons believes that BB will be the Eagles next HC.

You have to think that's in play with as much as Lurie loves him the NE Patriots way of doing things. Not sure that hire moves the needle for me.

Today is the first day of our 2024 Season.

Opened the Off Season Blog.

Closing this is a little while.

One thing that's being glossed over was the OL was extremely overrated.

They didn't run b/c they couldn't run the way they did in previous seasons, Kelce slipped this year, Lane wasn't an elite RT, and Jurgens struggled at RG. Lane got beat more by pass rushers this year than the previous 3 or 4 years combined. TB saw this and blitzed like crazy, and got away with it b/c Johnson didn't scheme for it, and receivers couldn't quickly get separation - but also b/c the TB defenders were winning one on one battles at the LOS and getting quick pressure (I think Hurts averaged 2 seconds to throw against the blitz, no QB is going to succeed in that situation without a scheme and receivers who can get quick separation).

The run worked this year in the second half with a lead after the DL was softened up by long drives in the first half - but when teams knew they were going to run, they could shut it down. Swift simply can't run through cracks, he needs space to make his moves, Gainwell is tougher but limited, a solid backup who doesn't start on a good team. And none of the backs were good at blitz pickup. They don't need a star, just a power back who can catch and block, and run inside for tough yards. I wouldn't pay Swift big money b/c I see him as more of a change of pace back, not a workhorse.

If Howie is going to spend at any position in FA, it should be for a young OL who's blocked with his current team and add some quality depth while draft picks mature.

5 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

What I saw on defense last night was a team that was undisciplined, and was not interested in tackling. (except for a play or two by Milton Williams and Fletch)

Thats all coaching/ lack of leadership on D. 

They had a few stretches where they looked alright but then the offense crapped the bed so it didn’t matter. The tackling last night was one of the worst I’ve seen in awhile. And yet they were "ready”…. If that was a team ready to play what does an unprepared one look like?

1 hour ago, just relax said:

Stoutland can stay if the next HC wants him. The rest of the staff can jump off the Betsy Ross Bridge. They are not worthy to use either the Ben Franklin or Walt Whitman. What a turd-fest that staff is!

I thought Special Teams was good all year.

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

They shot their load and never got it back. It's a very fair assessment when considering the age of the roster and the positions with issues. They had no answer to the LB and S issues and teams just ate them alive knowing they could not stop it.

The Bills changed OC earlier and you can argue that where Allen stepped up and showed out, Hurts struggled to do that - whether it was injuries taking their toll or whatever - Hurts looked lost and a little soulless.  The Packers went young and are now running hot.  The Eagles stood still, shot their load and flamed out.

I would agree... if it weren't the OLDER players that were still balling out at the end.  BG, Cox, Kelce, Johnson... the oldest guys on the team were the ones still giving the effort.   They didn't run out of juice, they ran out of caring and effort.  The coaching staff got exposed for being inept and the player's couldn't mask it anymore with their play.  The DL covered up a lot last year, but when you drop your best pass rusher in coverage, where he's not nearly as good, you hurt yourself in two ways.   The gauntlet didn't hurt this team.  The gauntlet exposed them.  They even got lucky during the gauntlet with dropped passes by the Chiefs and Bills.  Had they not done that... the Eagles might have missed the playoffs at 9-8, giving way to the Seahawks.

19 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yeah, the defense was three plays away from losing to DAL, KC and BUF. All three pretty lucky circumstances. Then we went in and faced SF and DAL both on 10 days rest after a 100 snap game against BUF and then it was just downhill from there. I don't think they were going to ever recover. Especially with the "talent" in the back 7 with their never ending carousel of injuries.

Sorry for all my friends here on the boards about the Eagles epic meltdown. I have still been following from afar (mostly just googling them as the season progressed), last night I started to actually watch the game but went to bed after the Eagles scored and went for 2 for no apparent reason (in my eyes anyways).  I hope you all don't have too much anxiety over it.

Archived