EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season... and Post Season Blog

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Frankfurteagle89 said:

They did care, but their leadership wasn’t enough to save that disconnect in the locker room. Something is very off with this entire group of players.

It's been alluded to that there is a disconnect between the old heads and the young guys.

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He threw a 50-50 ball.  The DB was underneath the route.  He needed to put it out in front to give Smith a better angle to the ball than the defender.   A 50-50 ball is not 'hitting Smith in the hands'.   Smith could have made the catch, but the defenders get paid too.   50-50 wasn't good enough in that spot.   Of course, Hurts' deep balls generally fall short of the mark and end up as 50-50 balls, even without a busted finger.  Fortunately, he has Brown and Smith who are willing and able to high point the ball and make the grab often.  But that wasn't a great throw.

His deep throw to Quez was the same…it was either a TD or PI.  No ref is going to call PI despite the CB being all over Quez because it was 5 yards short and the CB had his head turned.  Hurts is Jekyll and Hyde.

44 minutes ago, Parrot Head said:

I will admit, I was pretty skeptical as to whether Smitty could ball out without AJ on the other side to draw coverage.

I guess I can move on from that.

Why were you skeptical about WR1?  He’s consistently proved he’s a true #1 WR.

I think a big issue this season on defense was the "generation gap." Howie brought in a lot of late round picks and UDFAs, especially in the back seven. Most weren't ready to start, but injuries forced some into the lineup (5 rookies played in the secondary). At the same time, all the veterans in the back seven slipped, especially in the second half, and were exposed. So while the kids got good experience, they simply need young athletes to replace Slay, Bradberry, Byaard, Cunningham and Murrow - if the veterans are getting beat like a drum, eat the dead money, play some rookies and young SFAs and FAs - they can't be much worse and by the end of next year, they could be much better.

One reason the DL looked worse is QBs could just chew up soft zones. Another was the scheme, basically asked the DL to win every snap, they didn't have guys who were good at blitzing, so when they tried to bring 5 or 6, they rarely got there and receivers were wide open all the time - Hurts would have been the MVP if he could have played his defense all season.

54 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Starts with protecting Hurts , that didn’t happen , and receivers overall weren’t getting open … hard to win like that 

You didn’t watch the game did you.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

It's been alluded to that there is a disconnect between the old heads and the young guys.

Ah ok. It’s very obvious even without that info. It could be a split locker room and maybe too many guys from one specific college has caused some of that?!

46 minutes ago, Parrot Head said:

I will admit, I was pretty skeptical as to whether Smitty could ball out without AJ on the other side to draw coverage.

I guess I can move on from that.

Smith would be WR1 on a majority of teams out there. If he was in a Shanahan/McVay offense he’d be a top producing receiver in the league. It’s criminal how under-utilized he is here. 

Closing this in a couple of minutes.

29 minutes ago, greend said:

Sorry for all my friends here on the boards about the Eagles epic meltdown. I have still been following from afar (mostly just googling them as the season progressed), last night I started to actually watch the game but went to bed after the Eagles scored and went for 2 for no apparent reason (in my eyes anyways).  I hope you all don't have too much anxiety over it.

Miss you buddy!  Take care.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Williams had a great game.

1 minute ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Smitty. He’s a tough hombre. 

Yes.  Add TWO more names to the list.   The point stands.   When you can count on your hands the number of players that weren't checked out, that says everything, doesn't it?   And AGE wasn't the factor that determined who did and who didn't.   Heart was.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think a big issue this season on defense was the "generation gap." Howie brought in a lot of late round picks and UDFAs, especially in the back seven. Most weren't ready to start, but injuries forced some into the lineup (5 rookies played in the secondary). At the same time, all the veterans in the back seven slipped, especially in the second half, and were exposed. So while the kids got good experience, they simply need young athletes to replace Slay, Bradberry, Byaard, Cunningham and Murrow - if the veterans are getting beat like a drum, eat the dead money, play some rookies and young SFAs and FAs - they can't be much worse and by the end of next year, they could be much better.

One reason the DL looked worse is QBs could just chew up soft zones. Another was the scheme, basically asked the DL to win every snap, they didn't have guys who were good at blitzing, so when they tried to bring 5 or 6, they rarely got there and receivers were wide open all the time - Hurts would have been the MVP if he could have played his defense all season.

No, the big issue on Defense was a lack of talent, particularly in the back seven. All of this is due to your boy Howie.

35 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

You have to think that's in play with as much as Lurie loves him the NE Patriots way of doing things. Not sure that hire moves the needle for me.

Yeah I think Lurie will definitely be interested.  I dont think BB would be eager to work with Howie though.  I'd prefer Harbaugh and Ben Johnson over BB.

13 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Williams had a great game.

He had 2 or 3 good plays, far from a great game if you look at the rest of it.  Tallest midget type thing for him.  Average game.

46 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

To be a respectful contrarian.  Should the Eagles hire a new GM to complete that effort?  Does the FO need a new dynamic in it so that the innate biases in place are removed?

I’ve said this before the reason why their defense has an extreme high and then extreme low season to season is because they’re too dependent on trades and free agency to build that side of the ball. Most of the time when you’re making trades or using free agency to solve most of your problems on defense, you are getting guys that are closer to exiting the peaks. And occasionally you get a reddick but more often it’s guys with 1-2 high level years left and needing a new contract. You have reddick then you have byard, bradberry and slay. All of whom had maybe 1-2 years at their highest level. So it’s not a coincidence they are older and not as good anymore or can’t stay healthy. Cunningham at his age wasn’t a good solution. They actually got a young player who was ascending in a trade and they let him walk for a 30+ year old corner.

if you want to build a defense that is sustainable for the long-haul go look at the ravens and the 49ers blueprint. add some pieces in free agency or trade but the bulk of those defenses were made by drafting and developing on that side of the ball. Unfortunately the eagles don’t do that well. Since 2016 can make the argument guys who lived up to or succeeded their draft position while with the eagles are sweat, jalen mills, Carter (a little early still) and maddox (cause he was a 4th rounder frankly he’s always hurt and regressed). That’s a problem. You can’t build a defense just going into free agency and trades as the main solutions. You need to start identifying better, drafting better and developing better on that side of the ball.

They also are slow as crap in the back seven. 

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Closing this in a couple of minutes.

No…let the stink linger till we know if there needs to be a HC search thread or not.

Putting this nightmare behind us.

Archived