EMB Blog: 2023 Regular Season... and Post Season Blog

Connecticut Eagle

A wide receiver screen where you ask Smith to block and/or Watkins to run shows an inability to recognize your players' limitations.

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, greend said:

Sorry for all my friends here on the boards about the Eagles epic meltdown. I have still been following from afar (mostly just googling them as the season progressed), last night I started to actually watch the game but went to bed after the Eagles scored and went for 2 for no apparent reason (in my eyes anyways).  I hope you all don't have too much anxiety over it.

Thanks for checking in.  Be well.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I would agree... if it weren't the OLDER players that were still balling out at the end.  BG, Cox, Kelce, Johnson... the oldest guys on the team were the ones still giving the effort.   They didn't run out of juice, they ran out of caring and effort.  The coaching staff got exposed for being inept and the player's couldn't mask it anymore with their play.  The DL covered up a lot last year, but when you drop your best pass rusher in coverage, where he's not nearly as good, you hurt yourself in two ways.   The gauntlet didn't hurt this team.  The gauntlet exposed them.  They even got lucky during the gauntlet with dropped passes by the Chiefs and Bills.  Had they not done that... the Eagles might have missed the playoffs at 9-8, giving way to the Seahawks.

BG hardly played, Cox wore down the second half, Lane had his worst season in a decade and Kelce slipped this year. Cox, Kelce and Lane were still solid starters, but not the elite players that had been the core of the team.

2 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I don’t get the obsession with BB. Was he a good coach sure. But he’s never won anything without Brady.

Their divergent paths after Brady left caused a lot of people to criminally underrate how incredible BB was as a coach.  He’s the goat.  

I just think stubborn, arrogant 70 year olds make for terrible HCs no matter how good they once were.

36 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

It sucks to see confirmation but the writing was on the wall for Kelce. Still stings though, being that he was basically a living legend. The one bright side is that we did get to see him hoist the Lombardi which can't be said for other legends like Dawk, etc.

But aside from that, this might be the least upset I've ever been about a playoff loss ever. It just doesn't even register emotionally because it was so thoroughly unsurprising.

Yup. I’ve never been less enthusiastic about a playoff game other than maybe this game two years ago as the 7 seed. I can’t pretend to be angry now. My anger will depend on what Lurie does moving forward, and how soon much of the staff is shown the door. 

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Fans will dig their heels in and be stubborn about the narrative they choose.  Some of you blame ONLY Hurts and are saying Siri is doing just fine.  Some are blaming ONLY Siri.  Some say Siri's fine, it's Brian Johnson.  Some fans have actually said keep Siri and Johnson that the DC is the problem.  Some like Desai and think he should be the DC but it's the roster that's the problem.

In the words of Jason Kelce: "It's the whole team!"

Plenty of blame to go around.  Hurts looked lost at times this year...then he'd make some amazing plays. The defense came up huge at times and made halftime adjustments holding the Dolphins and Chiefs to 0 points in the 2nd half (fact check me, I think it was those teams).  Then, they collapsed.

There are very few players and coaches who don't deserve any blame (Smitty, Elliot, Clay as Special Teams coach to name a few).

It doesn't need to be "sides" or factions when there are a lot of problems. Hurts is going nowhere with his contract.  So the organization will backup the investment with upgrades at coaching.  Hurts is going nowhere.  But the coaches got roasted by everyone in the world on social media tonight and the broadcast.  They are clearly the main problem.  Hurts is also a problem.  The defensive roster is also a problem.  Lots of problems.

I agree with this for the most part. You can’t fire 53 players so it all goes back to Sirianni .. he’s the leader. 

Haven't decided whether they should keep Hurts and rebuild around him, or just fire everybody including Hurts. These $100 million contracts have got to stop.

22 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

I'm just now hearing the post-game interviews with players, specifically Hurts, and what in the actual F am I listening to?

"Sometimes it's just not your turn."
"It just wasn't our turn."
"It wasn't our turn and I accept that."

WHAT?!

Is he referencing the NFL script???

21 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

To be a respectful contrarian.  Should the Eagles hire a new GM to complete that effort?  Does the FO need a new dynamic in it so that the innate biases in place are removed?

Thats a fair question.

4 minutes ago, ThinkGreen said:

Haven't decided whether they should keep Hurts and rebuild around him, or just fire everybody including Hurts. These $100 million contracts have got to stop.

I don't think it's really remotely a choice of whether they keep Hurts (and others) or not. What a weird take. Good luck hiring new coaches if the team is gutted.

2 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Thats a fair question.

Except it was directed at afan. Might as well ask if a father would disown his own child.

1 minute ago, bitbased said:

I don't think it's really remotely a choice of whether they keep Hurts (and others) or not. What a weird take. Good luck hiring new coaches if the team is gutted.

So if I come up with a more realistic take, will they listen to me?

12 minutes ago, greend said:

Sorry for all my friends here on the boards about the Eagles epic meltdown. I have still been following from afar (mostly just googling them as the season progressed), last night I started to actually watch the game but went to bed after the Eagles scored and went for 2 for no apparent reason (in my eyes anyways).  I hope you all don't have too much anxiety over it.

We only have anxiety over you not posting here. 

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Well played ITYS.

They had too many things to think about after the move.   Two captains means no captain.

i-was-wrong-you-were-right.gif

It’s really is less about that then the fact in week 15 they thought it would be smart to demote a coordinator, kept desai around which likely caused a lot of uncomfortableness in that coaching room and locker room. They made that move cause 3 weeks against 3 of the top offenses they had no answers. That wasn’t changing Patricia or not cause personnel and coaching wasn’t getting better under Patricia. And it sent the wrong message 

Add on their solution to the problem was matt freaking Patricia. He was awful with the lions. Eagles defense each week after Seattle progressively looked like his tenure with the lions. Gradually worse and worse til it hit the worst in the league by end of his tenure.

additionally, I think that leak that they said they claimed players lost confidence in Desai did two things. 1. I think players in the locker room thought that was BS. That the organization or someone in the organization threw him under the bus. 2. And when they saw it as BS, they said F this I don’t trust this staff or they saw it as a panic move and they checked out.

let me say i was done firing desai after the season cause he wasn’t good. But i already knew Patricia was crap and at least desai is young enough coordinator  that maybe just maybe you’d hope he’d learn from those asswhippings. Heck he sometimes learned from it in first halves and made adjustments. Patricia is a lost cause at this stage of his career. He should never again be a DC.  Doing BS they did in week 15 where they didn’t even have the balls to just fire him was ridiculous. 

Sorry for the rant 

2 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Except it was directed at afan. Might as well ask if a father would disown his own child.

😂😂 I’m just catching up from last night. Just reading the last couple pages … my bad 🙋‍♂️

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Fans will dig their heels in and be stubborn about the narrative they choose.  Some of you blame ONLY Hurts and are saying Siri is doing just fine.  Some are blaming ONLY Siri.  Some say Siri's fine, it's Brian Johnson.  Some fans have actually said keep Siri and Johnson that the DC is the problem.  Some like Desai and think he should be the DC but it's the roster that's the problem.

In the words of Jason Kelce: "It's the whole team!"

Plenty of blame to go around.  Hurts looked lost at times this year...then he'd make some amazing plays. The defense came up huge at times and made halftime adjustments holding the Dolphins and Chiefs to 0 points in the 2nd half (fact check me, I think it was those teams).  Then, they collapsed.

There are very few players and coaches who don't deserve any blame (Smitty, Elliot, Clay as Special Teams coach to name a few).

It doesn't need to be "sides" or factions when there are a lot of problems. Hurts is going nowhere with his contract.  So the organization will backup the investment with upgrades at coaching.  Hurts is going nowhere.  But the coaches got roasted by everyone in the world on social media tonight and the broadcast.  They are clearly the main problem.  Hurts is also a problem.  The defensive roster is also a problem.  Lots of problems.

Good post. The thing is, you can’t really fire/cut the entire or majority of the roster. In probably all team sports, the coach/coaches are going to be the weakest link, regardless of how much blame they really have. 

This season you could actually theoretically replace the whole team with a few exceptions. The defense as a whole was atrocious and that includes every single player. You cannot let that type of debacle happen. Last night was the worst, if that’s even possible. No one wanted to tackle and there was no leadership to be found, even from those who were supposed to be leaders. They made Philly a laughingstock for the everyone to see. Sure, blame also goes to coaches, but how do you not give any effort whatsoever. They didn’t give a f… and it was so obvious. They should lose their damn paycheck for the last couple of games. Do they practice tackling these days?! Seriously, are the NFL rules not allowing teams to practice in pads anymore? Eagles are horrible, but these tackling issues are all over the league, with a couple of solid tacking teams. 

This team from top to bottom was out of sync and everyone who has followed this crapshow knows that changes need to be made. Not just minor changes, but also a change in culture IMO. I would rather have a "less flashy” type of team that is known for physicality, work ethic and character. I know that’s not all that is necessary to have a quality team, but those are basic characteristics that need to be implemented. We thought that the culture was strong in that locker room, but after these performances I think it wasn’t what was assumed. Some players surely do, but as a whole, they lacked character.

14 minutes ago, greend said:

Good to see you, old friend.   Don't be a stranger.

15 minutes ago, austinfan said:

A wide receiver screen where you ask Smith to block and/or Watkins to run shows an inability to recognize your players' limitations.

The fact that they never understood that D’Andre Swift is a far superior receiving back to Kenny Gainwell says it all to me. D’Andre Swift should be utilized in the passing game way more. The best attribute he probably has is getting the ball in space and making guys miss. The fact we rarely did that tells me everything. That was his bread and butter when he stayed healthy with the lions. They never exploited it. 

11 minutes ago, austinfan said:

BG hardly played, Cox wore down the second half, Lane had his worst season in a decade and Kelce slipped this year. Cox, Kelce and Lane were still solid starters, but not the elite players that had been the core of the team.

And they were the ones who CARED, and gave effort last night.  The same cannot be said for many others on the field.  They were the only ones that played with any sort of pride out there, and that includes the QB.

13 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yup. I’ve never been less enthusiastic about a playoff game other than maybe this game two years ago as the 7 seed. I can’t pretend to be angry now. My anger will depend on what Lurie does moving forward, and how soon much of the staff is shown the door. 

That year, we knew they were there on house money... and were supposedly, ascending.   This year, they were supposed to have arrived and were descending.  The complete collapse before the playoffs made last night a formality.

7 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Or Lurie, for that matter.   I don't see Howie being dismissed.

And they were the ones who CARED, and gave effort last night.  The same cannot be said for many others on the field.  They were the only ones that played with any sort of pride out there, and that includes the QB.

Williams had a great game.

Smitty. He’s a tough hombre. 

15 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m more mad this morning that kelce’s last game had to be in tampa and going out with a whimper cause the team knowing it was likely his last go around and they all checked out. 

They did care, but their leadership wasn’t enough to save that disconnect in the locker room. Something is very off with this entire group of players.

Archived