The Eagles need new coordinators - OC and DC

eaglesfan0075

Realistically speaking, this team is headed towards a quick playoff exit with how this season has unfolded.

Looking ahead I don't see how the team can justify bringing back Brian Johnson and Matt Patricia/Sean Desai back at their coordinator positions.

Given the recent SB appearance and technically still making the playoffs despite the ugly wins, Nick Sirianni gets at least another year to get things right, but the new OC and DC can't be coming in with a grand total of 1 season combined (excluding Patricia who came later) of coordinating experience in the NFL.

This team needs respected/experienced veteran coaches at both coordinator positions otherwise this isn't going to work. Of course the defense needs an infusion of talent on the back end also, so that is on Howie to fix. Even Belichick probably couldn't make this defense look great as it stands.

People are split on Frank Reich but I think he's going to at least be competent. A few other names at OC that are intriguing are Eric Bieniemy and Kellen Moore. 

At DC it's probably gonna be tougher. If the Bears let go of Matt Eberflus, who also had a solid defense with the Colts before becoming their HC, he seems like a realistic option given his ties to Sirianni in Indy.

If the Panthers new HC brings in his own DC, Ejiro Evero would be a great option. However I think they'll try to hire an offensive minded guy that is open to keeping him since their defense has actually been pretty solid.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Who would you want?

Of the guys I listed I think the best options in terms of upside are probably Bieniemy and Evero but they're also the most likely to leave for a HC job in a year if they do well.

A Reich/Eberflus pairing would be my guess as to the most realistic possibility though given their ties to Sirianni.

10 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Realistically speaking, this team is headed towards a quick playoff exit with how this season has unfolded.

Looking ahead I don't see how the team can justify bringing back Brian Johnson and Matt Patricia/Sean Desai back at their coordinator positions.

Given the recent SB appearance and technically still making the playoffs despite the ugly wins, Nick Sirianni gets at least another year to get things right, but the new OC and DC can't be coming in with a grand total of 1 season combined (excluding Patricia who came later) of coordinating experience in the NFL.

This team needs respected/experienced veteran coaches at both coordinator positions otherwise this isn't going to work. Of course the defense needs an infusion of talent on the back end also, so that is on Howie to fix. Even Belichick probably couldn't make this defense look great as it stands.

People are split on Frank Reich but I think he's going to at least be competent. A few other names at OC that are intriguing are Eric Bieniemy and Kellen Moore. 

At DC it's probably gonna be tougher. If the Bears let go of Matt Eberflus, who also had a solid defense with the Colts before becoming their HC, he seems like a realistic option given his ties to Sirianni in Indy.

If the Panthers new HC brings in his own DC, Ejiro Evero would be a great option. However I think they'll try to hire an offensive minded guy that is open to keeping him since their defense has actually been pretty solid.

The problem with Reich is: 

1. he said he’s pretty much done coaching

2. he’s still under contract so he’s not going to give up all that money to be an assistant

I would love him to return but I just don’t see it happening. 

• Like 3

New QB too

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

The problem with Reich is: 

1. he said he’s pretty much done coaching

2. he’s still under contract so he’s not going to give up all that money to be an assistant

I would love him to return but I just don’t see it happening. 

I'm fine with candidates other than Reich, but the Eagles definitely need someone with at least a few years of playcalling experience with success, not just 1-2 yrs in the pro or college. 

Johnson was a college OC and QB coach, and NFL QB coach with us before his promotion to OC. Desai had 1 season with the Bears as DC after Fangio left but otherwise was an assistant coach on defense the rest of the time.

It would be solid if they opened up the interview process to guys outside of Nick Sirianni's circle and defensive guys not just from the Vic Fangio tree

15 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'm fine with candidates other than Reich, but the Eagles definitely need someone with at least a few years of playcalling experience with success, not just 1-2 yrs in the pro or college. 

Johnson was a college OC and QB coach, and NFL QB coach with us before his promotion to OC. Desai had 1 season with the Bears as DC after Fangio left but otherwise was an assistant coach on defense the rest of the time.

It would be solid if they opened up the interview process to guys outside of Nick Sirianni's circle and defensive guys not just from the Vic Fangio tree

I never understood the Vic Fangio obsession. What has Fangio ever done? 

3 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

He has had good defenses.

4 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

Meh. One top 5 defense and one top 10 defense in his career. No Super Bowl wins. I’m not sure why he’s considered a guru with those numbers. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

He's a good DC, not trying to take anything away from that, but I agree that we shouldn't be so narrowly focused in that regard.

We won the Super Bowl with Jim Schwartz at DC, who came from the Belichick tree during his stint in Cleveland. Not saying we have to necessarily pick someone from the Belichick tree specifically, but we can definitely look at different options.

One guy to keep an eye on is Ejiro Evero, if he doesn't get a HC job and the Panthers new HC brings in his own DC.

Now he's only had 2 years of DC experience, which does run counter to what I suggested previously, but he's done it at a high level for 2 different teams two years in a row (Broncos, Panthers) and Evero has worked under two different respected defensive coordinators in Wade Phillips and Dom Capers as an assistant.

Of note, Capers is currently an defensive assistant with the Panthers. 

I posted this before, but not too many responses.  

Scenario 1:
We hire a new OC next year, same HC.  The offense goes back to the heights of 2022.  Hurts looks great, scoring looks great, team has a great year.  New OC is now a coveted HC candidate around the league.  What the heck?  Isn’t this new OC worth more to us than Siri at this point?

Scenario 2:
We hire a new OC next year, +/- new HC.  Maybe a little less hand wringing and play calling angst, but the offense puts up similar numbers to this year.  How many years of up and down but never quite good enough do you tolerate before hitting reset?  This is the Dak vs. Wentz debate.  Just play out the whole career or cut bait early.  Yes I’m talking about Hurts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Meh. One top 5 defense and one top 10 defense in his career. No Super Bowl wins. I’m not sure why he’s considered a guru with those numbers. 

I’m not a Fangio fan, but defenses don’t win SBs anymore, so that feels like an irrelevant stat for DCs.  Top 5 and top 10 D’s…that’s critical.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Of the guys I listed I think the best options in terms of upside are probably Bieniemy and Evero but they're also the most likely to leave for a HC job in a year if they do well.

A Reich/Eberflus pairing would be my guess as to the most realistic possibility though given their ties to Sirianni.

Ron Rivera for DC? 

1 minute ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Ron Rivera for DC? 

Would love it, but I do wonder if like Bill Belichick he would approach the job market as either taking a HC job or just retire from coaching.

Rivera has been a HC for quite some time, going back to his time with Carolina. I'm not sure if he takes a DC job at this point, but would certainly be for it if he's interested.

15 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Ron Rivera for DC? 

I’m all for it. He makes some dumb decisions as HC but as a DC he would be solid. Comes from the Jim Johnson defensive coaching tree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I posted this before, but not too many responses.  

Scenario 1:
We hire a new OC next year, same HC.  The offense goes back to the heights of 2022.  Hurts looks great, scoring looks great, team has a great year.  New OC is now a coveted HC candidate around the league.  What the heck?  Isn’t this new OC worth more to us than Siri at this point?

Scenario 2:
We hire a new OC next year, +/- new HC.  Maybe a little less hand wringing and play calling angst, but the offense puts up similar numbers to this year.  How many years of up and down but never quite good enough do you tolerate before hitting reset?  This is the Dak vs. Wentz debate.  Just play out the whole career or cut bait early.  Yes I’m talking about Hurts.

It depends. If we hired a guy like Fangio last off-season no one would be banging down his door for a HC job this year. Rivera, Eberflus would fit the bill next year on defense (if available). Reich, who I doubt would come back, would be a similar type guy on offense. We just can’t hire the next big name QB coach since we will lose him with any success. 

We have watched this new coordinators crap play out before. In case y’all haven’t noticed these guys were new coordinators. Where’s the head coach in all of this? His team has stunk for over a month now and all of his flower speeches, Rocky quotes, and motivational nonsense has fallen on deaf ears. He must go too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

We have watched this new coordinators crap play out before. In case y’all haven’t noticed these guys were new coordinators. Where’s the head coach in all of this? His team has stunk for over a month now and all of his flower speeches, Rocky quotes, and motivational nonsense has fallen on deaf ears. He must go too. 

I think we all remember that with experienced OCs Doug was a really good HC. Yet when it came to replace he just wasn’t very good at all. I think we are seeing with Sirianni that it’s the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Would love it, but I do wonder if like Bill Belichick he would approach the job market as either taking a HC job or just retire from coaching.

Rivera has been a HC for quite some time, going back to his time with Carolina. I'm not sure if he takes a DC job at this point, but would certainly be for it if he's interested.

9 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I’m all for it. He makes some dumb decisions as HC but as a DC he would be solid. Comes from the Jim Johnson defensive coaching tree. 

When he left Carolina I knew he'd get another HC offer but now not so sure. His claim to fame is really only Cam's MVP year and besides that he's been pretty meh as a HC

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

HAS being the key word

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I have come around to seeing that Siri is a problem, but I don't really know what Lurie will do.  It might depend on this playoff game, if they are really embarrassed and lose badly like they have been, and the players are done with him and complain he could pull the trigger like he did with Chip.  But despite what fans might want, I don't know if Lurie fires a coach after an 11 win season (2nd best record in the NFC) a year after making the Super Bowl and 3 years in a row making the playoffs.  This is definitely a situation where the stats do not tell the story. If all you knew about the team were that they lost the SB and had THE hardest schedule in the league and still won 11 games and are in the playoffs then it looks better than what we actually saw happen.

Lurie is going to know everything going on inside the building behind closed doors.  He should be listening to key players and all the coaches and evaluating what's going on.  It's clear to many of us that Siri hasn't done anything to fix the team.  But I could see Lurie giving him one more year to get it right, and demand major change to the coordinators and position coaches.  He should also pay attention to the defensive roster and pressure Howie as well.  As a businessman, his investment went into the QB (like every team), the O line and D line and those 3 areas did not dominate like they were supposed to.  Then you have garbage at LB, the lack of another starting DE and problems in the secondary.  They are getting roasted and destroyed by national and local media for how bad the defense has been.  Lurie can simply see for himself during the games how opposing offenses can march down the field and complete plays and score points at will against this weak defense.  That's not the defense he thought they were investing in by paying 2 veteran corners, trading up draft capital 2 years in a row for stud DTs and paying Cox again.  Meanwhile he has to notice TJ Edwards, Hargrave and others leaving Philly and performing elsewhere.  

It's amazing that most of the season majority of fans were on board with firing Brian Johnson but not many were thinking Siri, surely he's a good HC if they've had this much success?  Now ever since the collapse over weeks that view has changed very rapidly.  Will be interesting to see what happens!  At minimum IMO, they must fire both coordinators.  Get an experienced DC who brings in his entire staff and hopefully a new scheme.  Get an experienced OC to install actual NFL level plays and maximize the talent because the window will close.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This is definitely a situation where the stats do not tell the story. If all you knew about the team were that they lost the SB and had THE hardest schedule in the league and still won 11 games and are in the playoffs then it looks better than what we actually saw happen.

And I think that’s why Sirianni is rightly now under pressure. The stats suggest one thing whilst the reality is different. It is the same with this offense. The stats point to a top 10 offense (or they did for most the year) and against a tough schedule. In theory that should give the coaches reprieve and suggest that actually things are ok. But it’s the way this has all fallen apart that needs to cast the spotlight on Sirianni.

• Like 1

I'd rather see Brian Johnson's offense before canning him. I mean, it's been documented throughout the season that this is Nick's offense that BJ is running.  So, why fire BJ if it's just gonna be the same crap plays with a new face calling them?  Defensively though, I think we do need an overhaul. Seth Joyner said it best, this bend but don't break defense is not the way.

27 minutes ago, MF POON said:

I'd rather see Brian Johnson's offense before canning him. I mean, it's been documented throughout the season that this is Nick's offense that BJ is running.  So, why fire BJ if it's just gonna be the same crap plays with a new face calling them?  Defensively though, I think we do need an overhaul. Seth Joyner said it best, this bend but don't break defense is not the way.

It's Nick's offense but Brian is the one calling the plays