The Eagles need new coordinators - OC and DC

eaglesfan0075

2 hours ago, Mat said:

My question those crying that they should fire Brian Johnson mid season, who replaces him as the OC with the current group of coaches? Give me a name on the offensive staff that steps in and calls the plays. Sirianni isn't taking the play calling duties and if he did they wouldn't be firing Johnson in that instance anyway

Well, the offensive playbook is about the same as last year, with maybe a few changes......but the biggest issue is the playcalling, which needs to take into account, trying to create mismatches, countering an aggressive defense, using the talent at your disposal and good situational play calling.

The eagle could have brought in an offensive consultant to assist with the game planning and play calling.  There are guys out there with loads of experience that could have assisted Johnson.  Reich, Dorsey, McDaniels.....to name a few......

They wouldn't have to hire these guys permanently, but it would have been worth a try.  This offense is appalling right now.  And with the kind of talent they have on offense, there is zero excuse for that to happen.  And to not address the problem is even worse.

20 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, the offensive playbook is about the same as last year, with maybe a few changes......but the biggest issue is the playcalling, which needs to take into account, trying to create mismatches, countering an aggressive defense, using the talent at your disposal and good situational play calling.

The eagle could have brought in an offensive consultant to assist with the game planning and play calling.  There are guys out there with loads of experience that could have assisted Johnson.  Reich, Dorsey, McDaniels.....to name a few......

They wouldn't have to hire these guys permanently, but it would have been worth a try.  This offense is appalling right now.  And with the kind of talent they have on offense, there is zero excuse for that to happen.  And to not address the problem is even worse.

The offense had issues last year through quarters and games with Steichen in charge but people tend to forget that because they stomped teams on the way to the SB. They also had a much easier schedule, a QB playing at an MVP level and I'd argue they were a better talent wise as well offensively. They lost Seumalo and replaced him with Jurgens who was injured for chunks of the year. He was huge in the run game and the offensive line has not looked as dominant running the ball as they did last year. Pascal was a pretty good run blocking WR and could also block on screen passes, something they have lacked this year. Swift has averaged 4.6 yards per carry compared to Sanders 4.9 last year. He also has 5 TD's (6 if you count his one receiving) to the 11 rushing that Sanders had last year. That QB draw that everyone hates so much, he scored at least 5 of his rushing TD's running the draw last year. He also looked far more dynamic as a runner last year compared to this season and how much of that is his knee issue?

Reich was fired from the Panthers in less than a season after being fired by the Colts because Bryce Young has looked completely inept, he has a good relationship with Sirianni and the organisation but maybe he is cooked as a coach? I would have thought they reach out to him in some capacity but if he is burnt out he could have turned them down.

Dorsey was fired by the Bills and their offense has looked a million times better and McDaniels is a god awful coach I wouldn't want anywhere near this team that lived off the coattails of Brady. The Raiders were a complete disaster with that clown in charge. Is there anyone on the current staff that can take over play calling and do it better than Johnson? You also aren't hiring one of these guys that doesn't know the system at all mid year to just randomly come in and run it. 

Offensively this team is converting 48% of their third down tries, that's good for third in the NFL behind only the Bills and Cowboys. In their last 3 games they rank 6th with a percentage of 45.95%. Last year they ranked third averaging 47.58%. The turnovers have been the big problem when compared to last season. Hurts was elite throwing the ball deep last season and I feel he has regressed this year. I'm trying to find the deep pass numbers for this season bur I have his numbers from last year and he was top 5 in the league. 

Deep attempts: 20-of-52, 780 yards, 10:2 TD-INT, 109.8 passer rating
Deep comp: 38.5%
Deep xComp: 29.1%
Deep CPOE: +9.4%
PASSING SCORE (on deep attempts): 99

A lot of it is execution which is also on the coaches, but I think people are also looking at Steichen with rose coloured glasses the same way they looked at losing Reich to the Colts when he originally left. The offense has generally looked pretty good out of the gate running their scheduled play calls in most games this year. I don't disagree that having an experienced head to lean on in those situations where the offense begins to bog down would do him the world of good, but I think he is going to be a pretty good OC for some team in the next couple of years if he isn't with the Eagles next season. 

22 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

The offense has been predictable for most of the season, but it’s been really bad the last 6 weeks. That needs to be addressed for sure, but overall the offense hasn’t been nearly as bad as the defense,

Get Mike Vrabel in here to run the defense. His teams are always physical and play hard.

Give Siri and Brian Johnson 10 weeks in 2024 to prove they can make adjustments or send them packing and finish with Vrabel at HC.

Or just skip ahead and fire Siri and hire Vrabel as HC. (I know, will never happen).  Just for argument sake, Vrabel with competent Coordinators with the roster on offense, and focusing on defense in free agency and high draft picks could do a better job utilizing the roster.  A defensive minded head coach, former LB who would not want to ignore that position.  A guy can dream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

Apparently Panthers want to interview BJ.

I just pulled up to the Novacare complex upon hearing this to drive him!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NYEagle said:

I just pulled up to the Novacare complex upon hearing this to drive him!!!

Nevermind, the Panthers just wanted a BJ......damn it!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mat said:

The offense had issues last year through quarters and games with Steichen in charge but people tend to forget that because they stomped teams on the way to the SB. They also had a much easier schedule, a QB playing at an MVP level and I'd argue they were a better talent wise as well offensively. They lost Seumalo and replaced him with Jurgens who was injured for chunks of the year. He was huge in the run game and the offensive line has not looked as dominant running the ball as they did last year. Pascal was a pretty good run blocking WR and could also block on screen passes, something they have lacked this year. Swift has averaged 4.6 yards per carry compared to Sanders 4.9 last year. He also has 5 TD's (6 if you count his one receiving) to the 11 rushing that Sanders had last year. That QB draw that everyone hates so much, he scored at least 5 of his rushing TD's running the draw last year. He also looked far more dynamic as a runner last year compared to this season and how much of that is his knee issue?

Reich was fired from the Panthers in less than a season after being fired by the Colts because Bryce Young has looked completely inept, he has a good relationship with Sirianni and the organisation but maybe he is cooked as a coach? I would have thought they reach out to him in some capacity but if he is burnt out he could have turned them down.

Dorsey was fired by the Bills and their offense has looked a million times better and McDaniels is a god awful coach I wouldn't want anywhere near this team that lived off the coattails of Brady. The Raiders were a complete disaster with that clown in charge. Is there anyone on the current staff that can take over play calling and do it better than Johnson? You also aren't hiring one of these guys that doesn't know the system at all mid year to just randomly come in and run it. 

Offensively this team is converting 48% of their third down tries, that's good for third in the NFL behind only the Bills and Cowboys. In their last 3 games they rank 6th with a percentage of 45.95%. Last year they ranked third averaging 47.58%. The turnovers have been the big problem when compared to last season. Hurts was elite throwing the ball deep last season and I feel he has regressed this year. I'm trying to find the deep pass numbers for this season bur I have his numbers from last year and he was top 5 in the league. 

Deep attempts: 20-of-52, 780 yards, 10:2 TD-INT, 109.8 passer rating
Deep comp: 38.5%
Deep xComp: 29.1%
Deep CPOE: +9.4%
PASSING SCORE (on deep attempts): 99

A lot of it is execution which is also on the coaches, but I think people are also looking at Steichen with rose coloured glasses the same way they looked at losing Reich to the Colts when he originally left. The offense has generally looked pretty good out of the gate running their scheduled play calls in most games this year. I don't disagree that having an experienced head to lean on in those situations where the offense begins to bog down would do him the world of good, but I think he is going to be a pretty good OC for some team in the next couple of years if he isn't with the Eagles next season. 

Frank Reich is way more experienced with play calling than Johnson.  The panthers owner is crazy. So is Irsay.  Getting fired by those morons is a compliment.  

Dorsey was also the OC in 2022 for the bills when they were the 2nd ranked offense in the NFL.......josh allen being lousy was why they struggled earlier this year and blamed it on dorsey.....again, he has loads more experience than Johnson.

McDaniel is controversial......but way more experience than Johnson.  I have no doubt he could have helped.  But I get not wanting any part of the guy.

I had my issues with Steichen too.......but he showed flashes of creativity and creating mismatches.  Johnson shows NONE of those qualities.

Look, we can throw stats around all day.....but the fact is that, right now, bad defenses can shut the eagles down.  They do not take advantage of the talent they have and defenses think they are boring and predictable.........that's a really bad way to be going into the playoffs.

They need help.  Sirianni and Johnson don't know what to do.....which is appalling when looking at the same thing week after week.

Doing nothing and hoping the high school offense they run is going to suddenly break out is idiotic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleMatt said:

Apparently Panthers want to interview BJ.

6139b3eb-6db6-4065-b5d0-7b07a7b74f3c_tex

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While im good with BJ being gone nfl needs to pull their heads out their asses and impose a freeze in interviews for currently employed/playoff run coaches. Why cause a distraction?

First gannon now bj..

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 9:38 AM, NOTW said:

I have come around to seeing that Siri is a problem, but I don't really know what Lurie will do.  It might depend on this playoff game, if they are really embarrassed and lose badly like they have been, and the players are done with him and complain he could pull the trigger like he did with Chip.  But despite what fans might want, I don't know if Lurie fires a coach after an 11 win season (2nd best record in the NFC) a year after making the Super Bowl and 3 years in a row making the playoffs.  This is definitely a situation where the stats do not tell the story. If all you knew about the team were that they lost the SB and had THE hardest schedule in the league and still won 11 games and are in the playoffs then it looks better than what we actually saw happen.

Lurie is going to know everything going on inside the building behind closed doors.  He should be listening to key players and all the coaches and evaluating what's going on.  It's clear to many of us that Siri hasn't done anything to fix the team.  But I could see Lurie giving him one more year to get it right, and demand major change to the coordinators and position coaches.  He should also pay attention to the defensive roster and pressure Howie as well.  As a businessman, his investment went into the QB (like every team), the O line and D line and those 3 areas did not dominate like they were supposed to.  Then you have garbage at LB, the lack of another starting DE and problems in the secondary.  They are getting roasted and destroyed by national and local media for how bad the defense has been.  Lurie can simply see for himself during the games how opposing offenses can march down the field and complete plays and score points at will against this weak defense.  That's not the defense he thought they were investing in by paying 2 veteran corners, trading up draft capital 2 years in a row for stud DTs and paying Cox again.  Meanwhile he has to notice TJ Edwards, Hargrave and others leaving Philly and performing elsewhere.  

It's amazing that most of the season majority of fans were on board with firing Brian Johnson but not many were thinking Siri, surely he's a good HC if they've had this much success?  Now ever since the collapse over weeks that view has changed very rapidly.  Will be interesting to see what happens!  At minimum IMO, they must fire both coordinators.  Get an experienced DC who brings in his entire staff and hopefully a new scheme.  Get an experienced OC to install actual NFL level plays and maximize the talent because the window will close.

Sadly I don’t see changing coordinators as enough of a change to make an impact. On top of this if they force new coordinators on Sirianni (without his input and involvement) he just becomes a lame duck coach in his final season basically like Doug was. If they’re going to overhaul the coaching staff then they would be smart to overhaul the HC too. Consider for a moment years ago when Castillo was the DC and Washburn was his DL coach who had no respect for him (calling him Juanita) and causing friction within the team. If the coordinators don’t respect the HC it will not work. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 2:18 PM, NOTW said:

6139b3eb-6db6-4065-b5d0-7b07a7b74f3c_tex

This is all Rooney Rule stuff. No one would actually hire BJ as a HC after this year. 

• Like 1

Frank Reich made Carson Wentz a pro-bowler...and won a SB with Nick Foles

imagine what he could do with Jalen. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 12:54 PM, NYEagle said:

Nevermind, the Panthers just wanted a BJ......damn it!

Both involve sucking so the confusion is understandable 🤣

5 hours ago, flyerdog said:

Frank Reich made Carson Wentz a pro-bowler...and won a SB with Nick Foles

imagine what he could do with Jalen. 

I'm on board with Reich coming back, either as an OC or even if its just in an advisory role. More brains never hurt. But two things may get in the way:

1. I'm not sure Reich coaches next year. He sounded a little burnt out at his last thank you Panthers interview/conference. Might be a case of where the guy just takes a year off to recharge his batteries 

2. Bears - Eberflus will make a play for him. And Reich would have the full keys to the offence there with both having an existing relationship (as he does with Siri)

Can we hire a non-Fangio DC? Or is that not going to make any difference?

I like Martindale for DC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I like Martindale for DC.

I dunno about this. On one hand, it would make Eagles fans shut up about Fangio scheme because that guy feels like a Jim Johnson (RIP) spiritual successor mentally. On the other hand, not entirely sure whether that's actually helpful or not in the actual games.

Just now, AmericanEagle77 said:

I dunno about this. On one hand, it would make Eagles fans shut up about Fangio scheme because that guy feels like a Jim Johnson (RIP) spiritual successor mentally. On the other hand, not entirely sure whether that's actually helpful or not in the actual games.

He's the last of the Buddy Disciples. Groomed in that style by the sons. Aggressive style, which helps if you can disrupt the QB's rhythm. Soft zone while rushing 4 hasn't worked. I think it's the change this team needs. This coaching staff is far too passive. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

He's the last of the Buddy Disciples. Groomed in that style by the sons. Aggressive style, which helps if you can disrupt the QB's rhythm. Soft zone while rushing 4 hasn't worked. I think it's the change this team needs. This coaching staff is far too passive. 

Ah, that explains it. Well, I guess the fanbase would actually be quiet with him so I'm not necessarily opposed. I think regardless of the results, the Eagles fanbase is fundamentally incompatible with the increasing passive lean we've been seeing from defense in recent years. 

• Like 1

Just now, AmericanEagle77 said:

Ah, that explains it. Well, I guess the fanbase would actually be quiet with him so I'm not necessarily opposed. I think regardless of the results, the Eagles fanbase is fundamentally incompatible with the increasing passive lean we've been seeing from defense in recent years. 

Agreed. Despite the league's best efforts, defenses can still change a game's outcome, but they have to be successfully aggressive. No small task but still possible. I think it starts with an aggressive coach as DC.

On 1/7/2024 at 11:06 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Realistically speaking, this team is headed towards a quick playoff exit with how this season has unfolded.

Looking ahead I don't see how the team can justify bringing back Brian Johnson and Matt Patricia/Sean Desai back at their coordinator positions.

Given the recent SB appearance and technically still making the playoffs despite the ugly wins, Nick Sirianni gets at least another year to get things right, but the new OC and DC can't be coming in with a grand total of 1 season combined (excluding Patricia who came later) of coordinating experience in the NFL.

This team needs respected/experienced veteran coaches at both coordinator positions otherwise this isn't going to work. Of course the defense needs an infusion of talent on the back end also, so that is on Howie to fix. Even Belichick probably couldn't make this defense look great as it stands.

People are split on Frank Reich but I think he's going to at least be competent. A few other names at OC that are intriguing are Eric Bieniemy and Kellen Moore. 

At DC it's probably gonna be tougher. If the Bears let go of Matt Eberflus, who also had a solid defense with the Colts before becoming their HC, he seems like a realistic option given his ties to Sirianni in Indy.

If the Panthers new HC brings in his own DC, Ejiro Evero would be a great option. However I think they'll try to hire an offensive minded guy that is open to keeping him since their defense has actually been pretty solid.

What is a hot pile of Garbage? I'll take NFL Fired coaches in 2024 for 1k Alex.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:07 AM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Who would you want?

Anyone from Baltimore would be nice. Anyone with a sense of direction would be nice. Anyone with last name Harbaugh..? Just dreaming.

If Martindale doesn't take the Jacksonville job, the Eagles need to bring him in for an interview.

Ron Rivera would be another good option if he's open to taking a DC spot.

In the wake of the Cowboys playoff collapse, Dan Quinn could potentially be available if they fire Mike McCarthy? (This one is probably going to be a stretch since Jerry Jones is fond of Dan Quinn and will probably mandate the next HC to keep him as the DC).

On 1/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, MF POON said:

I'd rather see Brian Johnson's offense before canning him. I mean, it's been documented throughout the season that this is Nick's offense that BJ is running.  So, why fire BJ if it's just gonna be the same crap plays with a new face calling them?  Defensively though, I think we do need an overhaul. Seth Joyner said it best, this bend but don't break defense is not the way.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:13 AM, Mike030270 said:

It's Nick's offense but Brian is the one calling the plays

I don't know if it's Nick's offense.  I know that is whats said but Sirianni has been known to take heat for other guys.  I truly believe this is BJ's offense.

Was it Sirianni's offense last year or was it Steichen?