The Eagles need new coordinators - OC and DC

eaglesfan0075

Siri also needs to go. After the last 5 games there is no reason to think he has any solutions. The team has so much to play for but has regressed each week. They are not even competitive against the worst teams in the league that have nothing to play for. ... Has anyone seen anything to make them think he can turn things around? Anything?

1 minute ago, GreenMachine said:

Siri also needs to go. After the last 5 games there is no reason to think he has any solutions. The team has so much to play for but has regressed each week. They are not even competitive against the worst teams in the league that have nothing to play for. ... Has anyone seen anything to make them think he can turn things around? Anything?

No I don't think we have seen anything. Week after week the team and the fans have said they need to respond and week after week they haven't. OK they beat the Giants at home but I mean even that was unconvincing, was a mess and the players came away unhappy. This has been a mess for weeks now and the issues go all the way back to week one. The difference is results cover up a lot of issues.

43 minutes ago, MF POON said:

I'd rather see Brian Johnson's offense before canning him. I mean, it's been documented throughout the season that this is Nick's offense that BJ is running.  So, why fire BJ if it's just gonna be the same crap plays with a new face calling them?  Defensively though, I think we do need an overhaul. Seth Joyner said it best, this bend but don't break defense is not the way.

IMO, Siri said that to cover for BJ.  The offense looks WAY different than last year with Steichen, so there's no way that is Nick's offense.  In fact, last year when Siri was calling the plays the offense was not performing well and not running the ball.  Fans did not like Nick's offense then!  He handed the play calling to Steichen and the offense took off.

Siri rightfully is not throwing anyone under the bus.  He has made statements to cover for coaches and players not performing.  The players are doing the same, blaming themselves instead of the coaches.  All of that publicly is the right way to approach it.  But we will see what actions they actually take.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

IMO, Siri said that to cover for BJ.  The offense looks WAY different than last year with Steichen, so there's no way that is Nick's offense.  In fact, last year when Siri was calling the plays the offense was not performing well and not running the ball.  Fans did not like Nick's offense then!  He handed the play calling to Steichen and the offense took off.

Siri rightfully is not throwing anyone under the bus.  He has made statements to cover for coaches and players not performing.  The players are doing the same, blaming themselves instead of the coaches.  All of that publicly is the right way to approach it.  But we will see what actions they actually take.  

But he is the HC and the buck stops with him. He's also an offensive HC so again he has to take a large share of the blame. If he gave the offensive keys to BJ then he deserves huge criticism for doing that. OR this is his offense that BJ is trying to run. OR it is a mixed offense between the 2 of them and both need to go as a result. Whatever way we want to shake it though Sirianni is at fault for a lot of this.

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But he is the HC and the buck stops with him. He's also an offensive HC so again he has to take a large share of the blame. If he gave the offensive keys to BJ then he deserves huge criticism for doing that. OR this is his offense that BJ is trying to run. OR it is a mixed offense between the 2 of them and both need to go as a result. Whatever way we want to shake it though Sirianni is at fault for a lot of this.

Absolutely, I agree.  My point is that the OC is not the only problem, Siri is also the problem.  "Nick's offense" last year sucked until he handed it to Steichen.  Steichen was so good he got hired as a head coach and is off to a good start in Indy.  Now we are seeing either Nick's offense with BJ just calling plays, or BJ's offense or a combo of both.  Regardless, the offense is vanilla and predictable.  In addition, Siri makes some terrible game management decisions.  If BJ were the only problem he would have taken play calling duties from him as a way to spark the offense the way he changed from Desai to Patricia on the defensive side.  If BJ is the one making dumb play calls and the head coach is a good coach who knows better, he either holds the OC accountable or takes the play calling himself and fires/demotes him like with Desai.

I think both Siri and BJ are to blame on offense, neither of them know what they're doing or else there would be changes.  That accountability starts with Siri and it's clear he has no answers on how to fix things, and neither does BJ.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I think both Siri and BJ are to blame on offense, neither of them know what they're doing or else there would be changes.  That accountability starts with Siri and it's clear he has no answers on how to fix things, and neither does BJ.  

I think at this point BJ has become a shield for Sirianni. If they made a change at BJ the results probably wouldn't be too different and Sirianni knows that. But for most of the year BJ has taken most the flack and Sirianni has been able to do his "good guy" thing of protecting BJ and the players. The reality is as you say they made a change at DC so why haven't they at OC? Well because Sirianni knows the results would be much the same and that would give him greater exposure.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think at this point BJ has become a shield for Sirianni. If they made a change at BJ the results probably wouldn't be too different and Sirianni knows that. But for most of the year BJ has taken most the flack and Sirianni has been able to do his "good guy" thing of protecting BJ and the players. The reality is as you say they made a change at DC so why haven't they at OC? Well because Sirianni knows the results would be much the same and that would give him greater exposure.

If Siri is not fired and they think he's got good qualities as a head coach then they must hire an OC who knows what they're doing.  The offensive roster is loaded with talent.  There really is not a weak spot among the starters at all.  We can argue about the WR and O line depth but the starters are all excellent.  A half decent OC should have this offense absolutely dominating.  Meanwhile on defense it's both coaching and roster.  But on offense, the talent is there.  

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

If Siri is not fired and they think he's got good qualities as a head coach then they must hire an OC who knows what they're doing.  The offensive roster is loaded with talent.  There really is not a weak spot among the starters at all.  We can argue about the WR and O line depth but the starters are all excellent.  A half decent OC should have this offense absolutely dominating.  Meanwhile on defense it's both coaching and roster.  But on offense, the talent is there.  

Here's the problem though my friend... We are about to lose Kelce during the offseason so we are creating a hole somewhere along our OL. Sure we have Dickerson or Jurgens who can slide across but then we create a hole at LG or RG. We are probably going to let Swift go. OK well RB is not a priority position but we still need to replace him. And we need to bring in more at WR behind Smith and AJ (presuming AJ even stays which I can't rule out him requesting a trade). 

Besides filling the Coaching issues/holes that  they will have, there are some positions on O and D that will have to be filled.

Could be an ugly couple of years for the Iggles.

14 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Besides filling the Coaching issues/holes that  they will have, there are some positions on O and D that will have to be filled.

Could be an ugly couple of years for the Iggles.

We're going to have another revolving door at WR coach

50 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Here's the problem though my friend... We are about to lose Kelce during the offseason so we are creating a hole somewhere along our OL. Sure we have Dickerson or Jurgens who can slide across but then we create a hole at LG or RG. We are probably going to let Swift go. OK well RB is not a priority position but we still need to replace him. And we need to bring in more at WR behind Smith and AJ (presuming AJ even stays which I can't rule out him requesting a trade). 

We don't know if Kelce retires or not yet, but that's why they drafted Jurgens.  So he slides over.  Replacing the RG is a lot easier than Center or either OT.  They have Steen and Opeta, they can sign a free agent.  They will be fine at RG.  

I already noted depth can be cited as an issue, but at WR you have two star receivers with 1,000 yard seasons back to back, plus a really good TE in Goedert.  Most teams have 2 or 3 receiving options that get all the bulk of the targets anyway.  Getting a new OC who works in other receivers such as Oz and any other WR they pick up to add depth or handle the slot will help that.  The issues on offense are coaching, not personnel.

AJ Brown I would be shocked if he asks for a trade.  He's getting paid a huge contract, is friends with Hurts, has had tremendous production with back to back seasons, went to a SB after playing for a Titans team going nowhere, and despite everyone thinking he was disgruntled he stood in front of the media last week and defended the coaches and said he is happy with his teammates and situation.  I took it as genuine, partly because it's consistent with his comments in interviews the last 2 years.  I don't think he's happy with the way the offense is going...same for everyone on offense.  Kelce, Mailata, Hurts, Smitty and probably more have all said that.  Doesn't mean they're going to request a trade.  AJ Brown gets this narrative placed on him because he's the top WR on the team, and the stereotype of the diva WR.  He's not that.  

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

We don't know if Kelce retires or not yet, but that's why they drafted Jurgens.  So he slides over.  Replacing the RG is a lot easier than Center or either OT.  They have Steen and Opeta, they can sign a free agent.  They will be fine at RG.  

I already noted depth can be cited as an issue, but at WR you have two star receivers with 1,000 yard seasons back to back, plus a really good TE in Goedert.  Most teams have 2 or 3 receiving options that get all the bulk of the targets anyway.  Getting a new OC who works in other receivers such as Oz and any other WR they pick up to add depth or handle the slot will help that.  The issues on offense are coaching, not personnel.

AJ Brown I would be shocked if he asks for a trade.  He's getting paid a huge contract, is friends with Hurts, has had tremendous production with back to back seasons, went to a SB after playing for a Titans team going nowhere, and despite everyone thinking he was disgruntled he stood in front of the media last week and defended the coaches and said he is happy with his teammates and situation.  I took it as genuine, partly because it's consistent with his comments in interviews the last 2 years.  I don't think he's happy with the way the offense is going...same for everyone on offense.  Kelce, Mailata, Hurts, Smitty and probably more have all said that.  Doesn't mean they're going to request a trade.  AJ Brown gets this narrative placed on him because he's the top WR on the team, and the stereotype of the diva WR.  He's not that.  

So look I get your point there and yes that is partly why they drafted Jurgens. Jurgens slides across and is the long term replacement to Kelce. But he's not as good as Kelce and no fault of his own probably won't never be. And Jurgens has been good at RG and when he's been hurt we've felt the impact. So I think the impact is greater than you've suggested there. And yes OK Kelce may come back but that doesn't look like a man who wants to come back and do this for another year. I think ultimately he weighs up the situation and sees that this team is in for a hard year and probably calls it a day but we shall see.

Yeah sure we have 2 stud WRs in Smith and AJ, and a really good top 5/10 TE in Goedert but the offense needs to be more than them. it has become too predictable and too reliant on those 3 guys. And whilst it should be heavy towards those guys it can't be all them.

We have nothing right now to suggest AJ is going to request a trade so you are right. I just have this feeling that all is not well there and I think he wants to win and will look to get away this offseason I really do. Just gut feel so lets see. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So look I get your point there and yes that is partly why they drafted Jurgens. Jurgens slides across and is the long term replacement to Kelce. But he's not as good as Kelce and no fault of his own probably won't never be. And Jurgens has been good at RG and when he's been hurt we've felt the impact. So I think the impact is greater than you've suggested there. And yes OK Kelce may come back but that doesn't look like a man who wants to come back and do this for another year. I think ultimately he weighs up the situation and sees that this team is in for a hard year and probably calls it a day but we shall see.

Yeah sure we have 2 stud WRs in Smith and AJ, and a really good top 5/10 TE in Goedert but the offense needs to be more than them. it has become too predictable and too reliant on those 3 guys. And whilst it should be heavy towards those guys it can't be all them.

We have nothing right now to suggest AJ is going to request a trade so you are right. I just have this feeling that all is not well there and I think he wants to win and will look to get away this offseason I really do. Just gut feel so lets see. 

I never said Kelce to Jurgens would not be a dropoff.  But Kelce is a historic player in the franchise, there is no one that could replace what he does in all aspects.  The options to replace him are Jurgens who has learned with him for 2 years including how he studies film, his preparation, his line calls, etc.  Draft a guy, and you don't draft a Center high and they don't tend to start rookies for the most part.  Sign a free agent: no guarantee who's available and there are usually reasons why teams let them walk.  Trade: again no guarantee and you have to give something up for that.  Any team that has a great Center that would come close to replacing Kelce isn't parting with him anyway.  So the best option is Jurgens, who has had 2 years to learn from him. Kelce even assisted in scouting him and personally liked him as his chosen replacement.  

Replacing any star player is difficult and there will be dropoff.  Of course, Mailata replaced Jason Peters and he's great.  Dickerson replaced Seumalo who replaced Wisniesski and they've maintained a solid LG.  The one I'm actually concerned about is Lane Johnson, they must identify his replacement and do like Jurgens: Draft a guy to learn for a year and be ready to take over.

The skill players on offense issues will be solved immensely with a competent OC.  This current group could be dominant with a better OC.  

• Like 2

I wonder how much the Eagles Secondary misses last years Coach, who didn't get promoted, and then WHAM off he goes to coach the Ravens Secondary. HE could have been our DC. WRONG HIRE by Nick.

Mr. Dennard Wilson.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

I have come around to seeing that Siri is a problem, but I don't really know what Lurie will do.  It might depend on this playoff game, if they are really embarrassed and lose badly like they have been, and the players are done with him and complain he could pull the trigger like he did with Chip.  But despite what fans might want, I don't know if Lurie fires a coach after an 11 win season (2nd best record in the NFC) a year after making the Super Bowl and 3 years in a row making the playoffs.  This is definitely a situation where the stats do not tell the story. If all you knew about the team were that they lost the SB and had THE hardest schedule in the league and still won 11 games and are in the playoffs then it looks better than what we actually saw happen.

Lurie is going to know everything going on inside the building behind closed doors.  He should be listening to key players and all the coaches and evaluating what's going on.  It's clear to many of us that Siri hasn't done anything to fix the team.  But I could see Lurie giving him one more year to get it right, and demand major change to the coordinators and position coaches.  He should also pay attention to the defensive roster and pressure Howie as well.  As a businessman, his investment went into the QB (like every team), the O line and D line and those 3 areas did not dominate like they were supposed to.  Then you have garbage at LB, the lack of another starting DE and problems in the secondary.  They are getting roasted and destroyed by national and local media for how bad the defense has been.  Lurie can simply see for himself during the games how opposing offenses can march down the field and complete plays and score points at will against this weak defense.  That's not the defense he thought they were investing in by paying 2 veteran corners, trading up draft capital 2 years in a row for stud DTs and paying Cox again.  Meanwhile he has to notice TJ Edwards, Hargrave and others leaving Philly and performing elsewhere.  

It's amazing that most of the season majority of fans were on board with firing Brian Johnson but not many were thinking Siri, surely he's a good HC if they've had this much success?  Now ever since the collapse over weeks that view has changed very rapidly.  Will be interesting to see what happens!  At minimum IMO, they must fire both coordinators.  Get an experienced DC who brings in his entire staff and hopefully a new scheme.  Get an experienced OC to install actual NFL level plays and maximize the talent because the window will close.

I can’t look at the collapse and not give the HC most of the heat for it. The only thing they did differently was Matt Patricia. So basically they had two guys playing DC and that’s the best they could come up with? Also I just have a hard time believing what I’ve been seeing from this offense that Sirianni just let Johnson go to his own vices. I mean if Sirianni is the offensive mind he supposed to be then why didn’t he step in? On top of this the quarterback took a step back especially in the turnover department. The offense never created plays to get the quarterback in a flow and if the quarterback was the problem then what did they do to hone him back in? What did they do to get him throwing more of the short stuff? I agree with you on Lurie listening to the players here. I don’t see how this team will flip a switch and suddenly start winning in the playoffs. To be honest many of the issues they had in the Super Bowl creeped into their play all season. Couldn’t hold leads, bad penalties, Bradbury and the defense stinking when they needed them the most, inexplicable turnovers, the run defense looking suspect, and looking bad on third down. Ironically that game was also blamed on the DC when he had stacked talent, and now the DC is getting blamed and the talent. Maybe there’s more to this? I mean maybe this team needs to stop being treated like they won 5 Super Bowls when they haven’t won any. Maybe their coach is being too soft. 

4 hours ago, LacesOut said:

I wonder how much the Eagles Secondary misses last years Coach, who didn't get promoted, and then WHAM off he goes to coach the Ravens Secondary. HE could have been our DC. WRONG HIRE by Nick.

Mr. Dennard Wilson.

I understand the frustration but he's still their DBs coach, there's no guarantee that he would make the leap from DB coach to DC and still be effective.

Desai was largely a position coach with one year of DC experience and most of the other candidates they interviewed last offseason were in a similar boat.

Hopefully the front office and Sirianni learn from their mistakes and prioritize experience and production instead of youth and upside at the coaching positions.

• Like 1

A lot depends on who gets the boot when more of these coaches get fired...The list of OC's  is going to to be tough and I think the Commanders will try to keep 

Bienemy with whoever they bring in ( I wasn't impressed by him anyway). One name i like is Kellen Moore..I think with our line and Hurts? offensive playmakers it would be a solid hire,

The DC job to me is tough.. I want older guy but am interested in Minter or Dennard Wilson also. The Eberflus hire would be interesting because we wouldn't have to woory about losing him 

to be a HC .. I think that ship has sailed for him.

22 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Pick from Ravens or Texans for a DC

why would they come here?

56 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Usually for the promotion and more money

Can anyone find an example in NFL history in which the OC AND DC lost their jobs for poor performance while the HC kept their job?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rrfierce said:

I think he means from their staff... not the actual coordinator

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breeze 44 said:

I think he means from their staff... not the actual coordinator

They can't make lateral hires so it should have been expected I wasn't talking about their DC to become our DC :lol:

• Like 1

My question those crying that they should fire Brian Johnson mid season, who replaces him as the OC with the current group of coaches? Give me a name on the offensive staff that steps in and calls the plays. Sirianni isn't taking the play calling duties and if he did they wouldn't be firing Johnson in that instance anyway

The offense has been predictable for most of the season, but it’s been really bad the last 6 weeks. That needs to be addressed for sure, but overall the offense hasn’t been nearly as bad as the defense,

Get Mike Vrabel in here to run the defense. His teams are always physical and play hard.

Give Siri and Brian Johnson 10 weeks in 2024 to prove they can make adjustments or send them packing and finish with Vrabel at HC.