The Eagles need new coordinators - OC and DC

eaglesfan0075

My guess is that BJ stays and they bring in an additional offensive coach to help him, someone like Reich.  The offense wasn't 2022 good but it's not like they were scoring 14 a game.  Who knows maybe BJ improves as a OC and play caller in year 2.  We've seen it many times with coaches.  But a vet coach to help him out wouldn't hurt.

Defense on the other hand needs a cleansing.  This is the biggest reason we haven't been good.  If they were even middle of the pack we'd be at worst the 2 seed.

Defense needs new coaches everywhere, new scheme and a good amount of new players. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:54 PM, NYEagle said:

Nevermind, the Panthers just wanted a BJ......damn it!

So, did they get their wish? :P

I just hope whoever is next for game planning or play calling is creative because there's a lot of talent getting wasted on offense. Smith and Brown both got 1K+ yards in an offense that focused on them just winning battles

8 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

My guess is that BJ stays and they bring in an additional offensive coach to help him, someone like Reich.  The offense wasn't 2022 good but it's not like they were scoring 14 a game.  Who knows maybe BJ improves as a OC and play caller in year 2.  We've seen it many times with coaches.  But a vet coach to help him out wouldn't hurt.

Defense on the other hand needs a cleansing.  This is the biggest reason we haven't been good.  If they were even middle of the pack we'd be at worst the 2 seed.

Defense needs new coaches everywhere, new scheme and a good amount of new players. 

BJ should be demoted back to QB coach or just let go altogether. The team gambled on him making the leap to NFL offensive coordinator and it failed miserably.

Sirianni is no seasoned playcaller either so this is where someone like Frank Reich or another veteran OC comes into play. 

As for the defense, I agree it needs a big overhaul in both coaches and players. Matt Patricia is probably following Belichick wherever he goes. If Sean Desai wants to stick around as a position coach fine, but otherwise it's better to get a new staff on that side of the ball.

9 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

The team gambled on him making the leap to NFL offensive coordinator and it failed miserably.

BJ may go on to be this great offensive guy that we all had heard about. The guy who was so sought after and for some reason is getting HC looks. But he’s shown nothing this year to suggest that so just let him go.

There is no reason to replace them and keep this HC and GM.  It will just be Groundhog Day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The most obvious to me is promoting from within proven excellence in motivation of players, coaching up the talent in some cases very raw talent and refining it to elite level. Even ProBowl level this should be a clear and easy choice for both owner Jeff Lurie and General Manager Howie Roseman.

The Eagles new Offensive Coordinator should be Jeff Stoutland, the Eagles (eventual Hall of Fame Offensive Line Coach). Of course if he turns it down, nothing you can do about that but he should have the first offer on the table with a nice salary.

image.png.5f75f9c8562d4596c5851461d6c92963.png

As far as the new Defensive Coordinator the answer is another easy one in my opinion. The Philadephia Eagles under GM Howie Roseman have drafted and signed a lot of Georgia Bulldog players. Why not hire the guy that coached them up to success in college?  Georgia's HC Kirby Smart or more obtainable CO-DC Glenn Schumann.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3

Why would Kirby Smart want to leave? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Why would Kirby Smart want to leave? 

That is why I then wrote OC-DC Glenn Schumann, which would be just as good.

Rich Kotite as offensive coordinator

Bobby Hoying as QB Coach

Howie Roseman as D Coordinator

Dave Campo as Special Teams Coach.

Dream Team!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

The most obvious to me is promoting from within proven excellence in motivation of players, coaching up the talent in some cases very raw talent and refining it to elite level. Even ProBowl level this should be a clear and easy choice for both owner Jeff Lurie and General Manager Howie Roseman.

The Eagles new Offensive Coordinator should be Jeff Stoutland, the Eagles (eventual Hall of Fame Offensive Line Coach). Of course if he turns it down, nothing you can do about that but he should have the first offer on the table with a nice salary.

image.png.5f75f9c8562d4596c5851461d6c92963.png

As far as the new Defensive Coordinator the answer is another easy one in my opinion. The Philadephia Eagles under GM Howie Roseman have drafted and signed a lot of Georgia Bulldog players. Why not hire the guy that coached them up to success in college?  Georgia's HC Kirby Smart or more obtainable CO-DC Glenn Schumann.

Pretty sure if Stoutland wanted to be OC he would by now. Man has survived like three head coaching changes. And he probably already has a nice salary. Lol.

• Like 2

Hey, it worked brilliantly when we took Juan Castillo and put him in charge of the defense, so why the hell not?

• Haha 2

Not sure i'd want another experienced play caller. Leave stoutland where he is.

I think they can retain Stoutland without promoting him to OC, ultimately it's probably up to him if he wants to stick around or not.

As for Schumann, I wouldn't be opposed to it. The Eagles did interview him for the DC position last year and he elected to stay at Georgia. It would be worthwhile to reach out again and see if he would be interested.

I feel like part of the reason the team has fallen apart after recent Super Bowl seasons has been moving coaches out of successful roles. Obviously, you can’t always control that but in some cases you can. Mike Groh was brought in in 2017 to be the WR coach, and that was a role he seemed to excell in, but the promotion to OC was a disaster and it hurt us at WR coach also. Likewise last year, BJ seemed just fine in the role of QB coach, but the promotion to OC was a disaster, and Hurts certainly didn’t show further development this past year. 

That’s my concern with moving Stoutland. He functions great at the O-line coach, but we have no idea how he’d do as an OC, plus, you now have to find a competent O-Line coach. Now, if Stoutland wants to advance at this point in his career, then it would be unfair to try and prevent that, but I wouldn’t promote him just for the sake of promoting him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I feel like part of the reason the team has fallen apart after recent Super Bowl seasons has been moving coaches out of successful roles. Obviously, you can’t always control that but in some cases you can. Mike Groh was brought in in 2017 to be the WR coach, and that was a role he seemed to excell in, but the promotion to OC was a disaster and it hurt us at WR coach also. Likewise last year, BJ seemed just fine in the role of QB coach, but the promotion to OC was a disaster, and Hurts certainly didn’t show further development this past year. 

That’s my concern with moving Stoutland. He functions great at the O-line coach, but we have no idea how he’d do as an OC, plus, you now have to find a competent O-Line coach. Now, if Stoutland wants to advance at this point in his career, then it would be unfair to try and prevent that, but I wouldn’t promote him just for the sake of promoting him. 

to your point. i think our culture should change.. don't promote and then fire people if they don't do good in new role. allow person to go back to old role at older salary. Give people an option to be successful where they were at. this isn't just the eagles culture. this is the culture in corporate america in general but seems like something that should change. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Soumak said:

to your point. i think our culture should change.. don't promote and then fire people if they don't do good in new role. allow person to go back to old role at older salary. Give people an option to be successful where they were at. this isn't just the eagles culture. this is the culture in corporate america in general but seems like something that should change. 

Yeah It sucks for BJ. He was in way over his head as OC and now he'll be looking for another job soon unless they fire the current QB coach and let him have his old job back. 

• Like 1

Kirby Smart 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m ded 

8 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

Hey, it worked brilliantly when we took Juan Castillo and put him in charge of the defense, so why the hell not?

Wasn’t the defense of that move that he had done it before in college or high school ? It’s a crap reason but I thunk that was a reason.

There was reported interest from other teams for an OC so Eagles reportedly gave him a long term extension to stay. Haven't seen any numbers being released

I think Reich would be the best candidate for the OC position. He was already successful here; he was already successful working with Sirianni in Indy. To me, this is a no-brainer. Plus, I don't think he'll ever get another HC offer, which means we can forget about the carrousel for a while. 

Kliff Kinsgbury is a more risky bet, but could bring some good ideas to the table. Murray performed quite well under him and he's not nearly as good as Hurts. 

Schumann would be awesome, but I don't think he'll want to come. Maybe try with Staley? He was a good DC with the Rams, he was a terrible HC. He had Aaron Donald, he'll now have Carter. Why not?

Frank Reich at OC makes a lot of sense. He is a veteran OC and from the Reid coaching tree along with Sirianni. Reich would also maybe be unlikely to take another HC gig after he flopped twice.

I don't think Reich wants to come back. He's getting his full HC salary for sitting at him for the next 4 years.

If we must keep Sirianni, I'd like Bill O'brien for OC. Dude was a great mentor for the young guys at PSU and has a good offensive scheme. That Patriots team had zero talent on offense last year. 

Ron Rivera or Aaron Pierce for DC. Someone that can be a head coach of the defense. 

• Like 1

Kubiak for OC? --- he is literally getting overshadowed by his coordinators...why even keep him.