Jason Kelce officially announces retirement 3/4/24

paco

One of the best ever! He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered as an all time Eagles great. The 1st ballot HOF induction countdown begins.

• Like 1

Kind of telling how down in the dumps the boards are that this thread barely has hit page 3.

• Angry 1

Disgusted about this send off, f the L, this is the real L.

• Like 5

I have to say i am a little bit shocked about this news. He was still playing at a high level...the intensity that he pulls left and right and gets down field to block is a thing of beauty.

I know his legs seem to be bothering him or perhaps he knows there's a rebuild on the horizon and doesn't want to go through that playing another season. A year early rather than a year to late i presume. Maybe he will Tom Brady us and retire and than unretire 

• Like 1

Here's a video that I just uploaded to the board's YouTube channel, it's directly after the Super Bowl win. Be aware of a couple of F bombs that he dropped...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I have to say i am a little bit shocked about this news. He was still playing at a high level.. I know his legs seem to be bothering him or perhaps he knows there's a rebuild on the horizon and doesn't want to go through that playing another season. A year early rather than a year to late i presume. Maybe he will Tom Brady us and retire and than unretire 🤣

You shouldn't be shocked.  He's talked about it for years.  He heavily talked about it last year.  The Kelce documentary on Amazon Prime Video really shows that mindset off the field. 

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

You shouldn't be shocked.  He's talked about it for years.  He heavily talked about it last year.  The Kelce documentary on Amazon Prime Video really shows that mindset off the field. 

I would be surprised, but not really shocked if he were to change his mind before 2024 starts. Not that I expect him to do that. 

If he doesn't do that, I think that he has enough knowledge of the position that I'd really like to see him stick around as an assistant O Line coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

I guess I'm not shocked at the decision but normally when someone's quality of play is still the best at a position in the entire league rarely hangs it up. But than again, I don't know what I'd rather see. Jason Peters still cashing checks and playing as just a figment of his former self or a guy that still dominated walk away.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I would be surprised, but not really shocked if he were to change his mind before 2024 starts. Not that I expect him to do that. 

If he doesn't do that, I think that he has enough knowledge of the position that I'd really like to see him stick around as an assistant O Line coach.

He told reporters several seasons ago that he was thinking about retiring, then changed his mind.  This felt different, his comments in recent weeks, the way he looked on the sidelines talking to Stoutland, the emotion on his face all season and especially last night.  It seemed like he had decided.  Now, he certainly could change his mind and maybe that was just emotion.  We'll see.

What happens with the coaching could be a factor as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

What happens with the coaching could be a factor as well.

I just think he recognises that the time has come for him regardless. If Sirianni is back then it’s going to be a wasted year. If it’s a new HC then that’s probably a year of settling and not being a true contender. Either way one more year for Kelce doesn’t give him much chance of glory.

• Like 1

My favorite Eagle of all time. He deserved better for his final game. 

• Like 2

Knew it was coming sooner rather than later but damn it still hurts to hear. Always put in 100% effort, all time class at his position, and a genuinely decent guy, you can't ask for more than that.

Retire the 62 and offer him a job if he wants one. 

Be weird seeing someone else taking the snap, not seeing the fidgeting with the ball.

On another note, F Adam Schefter trying to scoop players retirement announcements, it was crap when he did it to Brady and it's crap now. Let them do it on their own terms you asshat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I have to say i am a little bit shocked about this news. He was still playing at a high level...the intensity that he pulls left and right and gets down field to block is a thing of beauty.

I know his legs seem to be bothering him or perhaps he knows there's a rebuild on the horizon and doesn't want to go through that playing another season. A year early rather than a year to late i presume. Maybe he will Tom Brady us and retire and than unretire 

I'm not shocked at all.  He probably doesn't want to up and move and finish his career with a different team for a year or 2, and he certainly wouldn't want to sit around and wait for a 2-3 year rebuild that we're now looking at

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I'm not shocked at all.  He probably doesn't want to up and move and finish his career with a different team for a year or 2, and he certainly wouldn't want to sit around and wait for a 2-3 year rebuild that we're now looking at

I’m glad he’s retired an eagles and glad he won a ring. Who knows when we’ll see a guy like him around again 

• Like 3

Wish him nothing but the best, he is one of the greatest Eagles of all time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

I’m glad he’s retired an eagles and glad he won a ring. Who knows when we’ll see a guy like him around again 

Like HIM? Never. No o-lineman in the history of this league has connected with a fanbase and city like he has. He's a Fing magical sparkly unicorn.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Like HIM? Never. No o-lineman in the history of this league has connected with a fanbase and city like he has. He's a Fing magical sparkly unicorn.

yep, and add in his skillset and he's even more of a unicorn. How many centers have you seen who had the ability to pull and get down field and effectively block the way he could? And he kept doing it into his mid-30s? That's a unicorn among unicorns.

• Thanks 1

Btw I think Lurie wasnt going to fire Siri on the same day that Kelce announced his retirement.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Btw I think Lurie wasnt going to fire Siri on the same day that Kelce announced his retirement.

Technically, he hasn't announced it officially.  He told his teammates last night in the locker room. Today there was no news or announcement.

Come on Lurie!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, judunno said:

Admittedly I was on his ass when he was playing poorly in early parts of his career. Then he turned it around in a biggly way with a little help from Stoutland. Thanks for the SB and the memories. Doesn't happen without him.

Kielce was picked and coached from the very beginning by a great Howard Mudd. It seams that all great players had great coaches. Too bad we have a **** owner who likes puppets all around him. The age of great coaches is behind us, and the future is analytics. JL can stuff his analytics up his analytics.

• Like 2

Nice.

Also Kylie has a nice butt.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Nice.

Also Kylie has a nice butt.

God yeah she really does! Fair play to Kelce.

Absolute Eagles legend in my mind. Right up there with Dawkins in terms of legacy players. His leadership and play will be hard to replace. Seemed like we never could get that consistency at the safety position once Dawk left. Kelce is one of those impact guys. Should definitely have #62 retired. Looking forward to the HOF speech.