Jason Kelce officially announces retirement 3/4/24

paco

On this week's New Heights podcast, Jason denied having made any final decision on retirement. He said he needed time to think about it and that any retirement announcement would be done respectfully so he could properly and publicly thank everyone needing thanked. 

• Thanks 1

So he’s not yet retired! I do still think he will retire but it’s good that he’s not yet made that decision. I think it’s right that he takes the time after the emotion of a very disappointing loss and end to the year.

• Like 1

Jason Kelce says, actually, he has not made a decision about retirement yet

Despite what was reported on Tuesday, Jason Kelce says he has not yet made a decision about retirement.

"I didn't announce what I was doing on purpose, despite I guess, what's been leaked to the media," Kelce said on the latest episode of the New Heights Podcast. "I just don't think you're in a position after a game like that to really make that decision. There's too much emotion in the moment.

"I'm not trying to be dramatic and continue to draw this thing out," Kelce continued. "I'm really not. It's just something that I think, when it's time to officially announce what's happening in the future, it'll be done in a way that's definitive and pays respect to a lot of people and individuals who have meant a lot to me and what has led to the career I've had."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Kelce told his teammates after Monday's playoff loss to the Bucs that he retiring. On the 94WIP Morning Show, Brandon Graham said he did not hear that.

Kelce, 36, is a legend in Philadelphia playing all 13 of his NFL seasons in the City of Brotherly Love. He is a six-time first-team All-Pro center, a seven-time Pro Bowler, a Super Bowl champion, and a great friend and weekly guest on SportsRadio 94WIP.

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/eagles-jason-kelce-retirement-new-heights-podcast-decision

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Nice.

Also Kylie has a nice butt.

Now we know how he mastered the tush push…practice, practice, practice. 

Kelce writes his own ticket here. He’s still playing at a very high level. My guess is he won’t be interested in returning for a rebuild, but that doesn’t mean he’s out if they hire a new coach. 

• Like 1

I felt when I watched the game last night that this could be the last time we see him on the field. He will always be an iconic player with one of the most iconic moments in Philly sports. When it is his time, I'm sure we will enjoy the next chapter in his journey. Whether it be in the announcers booth or as the voice of Eagles truth through his podcast.

I hope wonder if he's waiting to see what happens personnel wise for the Eagles at the coaching position

• Like 1

Whether or not he retires, I just can't imagine the Eagles without him. What a great player.

• Like 1

Why has everyone assumed he’s retiring if he’s not actually said so himself ? 

1 hour ago, rrfierce said:

He is retiring, but he has to set it up the right way- a speech, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Erie said:

On this week's New Heights podcast, Jason denied having made any final decision on retirement. He said he needed time to think about it and that any retirement announcement would be done respectfully so he could properly and publicly thank everyone needing thanked. 

He did get emotional talking on the pod though which kind of confirms it to me

I'm 95% sure he is retiring but if the man a few weeks to be certain, he can have that.

• Like 2

The more i think about it he really is the greatest Eagles player of all time.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rrfierce said:

There was a story leaked that he told his teammates after the game that he was done. He came out of his podcast and denied saying that. 

20 hours ago, Talonblood said:

He is retiring, but he has to set it up the right way- a speech, etc.

19 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He did get emotional talking on the pod though which kind of confirms it to me

I agree with these statements. I think he’s done, but I think he’s taking some time to confirm it is the right decision. I figured this was his last season as soon as I heard his wife is expecting. 

the language and general ‘tone’ of his comments on the podcast points toward preparing for his speech letting everyone know he’s retiring rather than him making a decision IMO. 

• Like 1

I think the EMB should have a tribute for a while after he retires. Change everyones pic to him and have him on the banner at the top

2 hours ago, rrfierce said:

I think the EMB should have a tribute for a while after he retires. Change everyones pic to him and have him on the banner at the top

I'll one up you ... we should petition to change the team name to the Philadelphia Kelces!  

• Like 1

I would love to see him play one more season but that’s just me being selfish

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I'll one up you ... we should petition to change the team name to the Philadelphia Kelces!  

Put a statue of him blocking for the Philly Special next to the one of Nick and Doug.

Or the Mummer speech.

• Like 3

PFT has speculated Jason may be joining the  Amazon Thursday Night Football broadcast team and that could factor into the announcement. He would probably do well and there are already enough cowboys doing network broadcasting.