HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of Dragons

Mike030270

I feel like I'm always disappointed by these spin offs.  Hopefully, this one is the exception. 

Hope more like BCS and Frasier than just about every other spinoff ever

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 5:59 PM, The Norseman said:

I feel like I'm always disappointed by these spin offs.  Hopefully, this one is the exception. 

The good news is that HBO is desperate for an anchor series to keep people subscribed, the IP is established which will attract talent, and the budget will probably be massive from the start.

As is usually the case, the writing will make or break the show.

16 minutes ago, TEW said:

The good news is that HBO is desperate for an anchor series to keep people subscribed, the IP is established which will attract talent, and the budget will probably be massive from the start.

As is usually the case, the writing will make or break the show.

Hope so.  I felt like the last season of GOT was hit or miss.  

• Like 2

This is going to bomb.  I can feel it in my bones.

The #1 problem its got is competition.  Amazon's take on the Silmarillion comes with an equally muscular fantasy IP, is scheduled to hit first and follows an almost identical prequel plot (they are both centered on the fall of Atlantis inspired civilizations).  Silmarillion also has more nerd cred as ana established story people want to see, and of course, The Hobbit trilogy didn't leave the bad taste that GoT's finale season did.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

The #1 problem its got is competition.  Amazon's take on the Silmarillion comes with an equally muscular fantasy IP, is scheduled to hit first and follows an almost identical prequel plot (they are both centered on the fall of Atlantis inspired civilizations).  Silmarillion also has more nerd cred as ana established story people want to see, and of course, The Hobbit trilogy didn't leave the bad taste that GoT's finale season did.

i cant lie, i am looking forward to the silmarillion series. from what i gather, its going to be based on the end of the 2nd age leading up to the last alliance of men & elves. so we should see the forging of the rings of power and then ending with isildur losing the ring.

series finale would be awesome if it ended with gollum's voice saying my precious after the ring hits the water. 

On 8/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Given the way Season 8 played out, I'm definitely not dismissing the fact that this could bomb, but I just think GoT is >>>> LotR

• Like 1

This will be fine early on at least, if GRRM is involved and can pump in some source material from the Fire & Blood Targaryen specific book. The early seasons of GoT were fantastic for that reason, they were taking his books and adapting it to screen. When they ran out of books... well, we saw what happened. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

You prefer stiff weiners only?

Perhaps he's also on board with inverted or "buried" weiners for comparison purposes.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Perhaps he's also on board with inverted or "buried" weiners for comparison purposes.  

Just not those damn floppy things

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

so i started watching GOT again. in the 4th season at the mountain vs the viper episode.

such a great damn show. . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

so i started watching GOT again. in the 4th season at the mountain vs the viper episode.

The dialogue in this thread :roll:    

It really took a hard turn for the worse.  👀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toty said:

:furious:

No need to get all bent out of shape about it.  😂

23 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

I've been hoping that HBO Max puts the 4k version up. I'd watch it all again except the last 2 seasons lol

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:21 PM, hputenis said:

No need to get all bent out of shape about it.  😂

he seems a bit soft. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

he seems a bit soft. :ph34r:

Must've been a hard comment to swallow

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2021 at 2:14 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

Season 4 is my fave (ep 1 ends with Hound eating his chicks, Ep 2 is joffreys wedding, other bangers are in the middle... Sansa's aunt flying, scenes with Tyrion and Jaime in the cell, Tyrion's trial). Then ep 8 is that fight, ep 9 is castle black battle, ep 10 is hound + brienne, tyrion v tywin, bran and co getting attacked by ground skeletons making it to the big tree. I disliked the first half of season 5 in a lot of ways and most of daenerys in mareen was snoooze, but Hardhome is like episode 8 of season 5 and that was an ALL TIME great ep. That first watch was one of the most adrenaline packed things I've ever seen/felt... and that was 100%%%% made up by the show creators (zero book deets to pull from). It's wild how high their creative highs were when we saw in sections of seasons 7 and 8 how LOW their creative lows were...

On 2/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, Mike030270 said:

I've been hoping that HBO Max puts the 4k version up. I'd watch it all again except the last 2 seasons lol

the 4k makes me sad because seasons like 6-7-8 i think all sold on 4k (season 7 and 8 100%)... so i own seasons 1-3 or 1-4 on Bluray+DVD (because they packaged them together), then seasons 4-5 (maybe 6?) are on bluray only, because they sold the seasons blutray-only or dvd-only. 

Basically, I want the whole thing on 4k, but that means re-buying season I already own on 4k... and then getting duplicates of all 8 seasons of bluray since the 4k sets seem to be 4k+bluray+digital 

I watched the commentary tracks for every episode expect season 8 (just never got around to that one when the disc set released in covid), and i'm sure the 4k set that is out is 100% identical content to what I own, so I wouldn't be gaining new info or content... maybe if it randomly hits a $50 price point. 

Just now, Agent23 said:

Season 4 is my fave (ep 1 ends with Hound eating his chicks, Ep 2 is joffreys wedding, other bangers are in the middle... Sansa's aunt flying, scenes with Tyrion and Jaime in the cell, Tyrion's trial). Then ep 8 is that fight, ep 9 is castle black battle, ep 10 is hound + brienne, tyrion v tywin, bran and co getting attacked by ground skeletons making it to the big tree. I disliked the first half of season 5 in a lot of ways and most of daenerys in mareen was snoooze, but Hardhome is like episode 8 of season 5 and that was an ALL TIME great ep. That first watch was one of the most adrenaline packed things I've ever seen/felt... and that was 100%%%% made up by the show creators (zero book deets to pull from). It's wild how high their creative highs were when we saw in sections of seasons 7 and 8 how LOW their creative lows were...

the 4k makes me sad because seasons like 6-7-8 i think all sold on 4k (season 7 and 8 100%)... so i own seasons 1-3 or 1-4 on Bluray+DVD (because they packaged them together), then seasons 4-5 (maybe 6?) are on bluray only, because they sold the seasons blutray-only or dvd-only. 

Basically, I want the whole thing on 4k, but that means re-buying season I already own on 4k... and then getting duplicates of all 8 seasons of bluray since the 4k sets seem to be 4k+bluray+digital 

I watched the commentary tracks for every episode expect season 8 (just never got around to that one when the disc set released in covid), and i'm sure the 4k set that is out is 100% identical content to what I own, so I wouldn't be gaining new info or content... maybe if it randomly hits a $50 price point. 

So the bolded comment reminded me - when The Long Night episode premiered, I'm sitting in my recliner watching.  This is still early in the episode, before any of the fighting actually began - the anticipation/adrenaline was that high, my apple watch actually alerted me that my heart rate had gone above 120 BPM and I wasn't exercising.  It asked me if I was OK :lol: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

So the bolded comment reminded me - when The Long Night episode premiered, I'm sitting in my recliner watching.  This is still early in the episode, before any of the fighting actually began - the anticipation/adrenaline was that high, my apple watch actually alerted me that my heart rate had gone above 120 BPM and I wasn't exercising.  It asked me if I was OK :lol: 

did you at least do some jumping jacks to offset it? haha