HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of Dragons

Mike030270

ill say this much, it looked amazing. not 5 mintues into the episode i was contemplating if my wife would be mad if she showed up after work one day this week to a new 75" 4k :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFit said:

ill say this much, it looked amazing. not 5 mintues into the episode i was contemplating if my wife would be mad if she showed up after work one day this week to a new 75" 4k :lol: 

I think HBO is starting to broadcast 4k content. Season 1 was the first 4K disc release, and the episode in season 1 after Ned gets stabbed thorough the leg fighting Jaime, opens with Ned waking up disoriented in a bed with King Robert and Cersei standing overtop of him. I just recall that as visually being one of the clearest images I had seen on a TV screen up to that point in time. 

• Like 2

Loved the first episode!  I thought they did a great job of setting up the back story to give us a sense of where in the timeline of the Targaeryans we are.  

2 hours ago, BFit said:

Think she'd even notice?

3 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I honestly didn't even hate the first three episodes of season 8 - the scene where they knighted Brienne was incredible.  We got some amazing Tormund moments sprinkled in there as well.  But yeah, the second half and particularly the final episode were poor.  

Heck I was still all-in all the way to the last 30 minutes with the council.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Think she'd even notice?

Considering it would take up most of the wall, probably....

4 hours ago, vikas83 said:

I didn't watch GoT when it was first airing. After hearing everyone complain about the last season, I streamed the series on HBO Max figuring that it was just fan boys being whiny little ****es.

Nope. That last season was an abortion, mainly because of Dany.

Even Martin said the showrunners went off track. He says he was left in the dark the last few seasons

Showrunners ruined the end

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

I think HBO is starting to broadcast 4k content. Season 1 was the first 4K disc release, and the episode in season 1 after Ned gets stabbed thorough the leg fighting Jaime, opens with Ned waking up disoriented in a bed with King Robert and Cersei standing overtop of him. I just recall that as visually being one of the clearest images I had seen on a TV screen up to that point in time. 

They are. This was in 4k on HBO Max

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Over the winter I'm gonna rewatch GoT in 4k.

32 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

Over the winter I'm gonna rewatch GoT in 4k.

I own at least 2 maybe 3 seasons on disc in 4K. I think season 1 when they first release it, then the last season — maybe two — where 4K existed so that was a retail store option. 

All the remaining seasons have been left as Blu-ray/dvd as standalone. The entire show is 4K disc as a full-series bundle… but I own the entire series on Blu-ray, some seasons on dvd (because for 3-4 years, every Blu-ray set came bundled with the dvd also). I’m not going to pay $150 or even $80ish (at best?) when on sale to get the missing 5ish seasons on 4K and have duplicate and triplicate copies of other seasons. It’s just unnecessary. 

*the long night battle in season 8, where Dany and Jon watch from up on a mountain as all the Dothraki flaming swords extinguish into the dark as the charge they invading white walker horde… I could actually see it all crystal clear on my QLED 90 series tv playing the 4K. Not the pitch black the rest of the world watched on. But never had past seasons where content was impossible to make out, so the awesomeness of true UHD still isn’t worth the cost and duplicate copies 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boogyman said:

The writers set like a half dozen major events / prophecies up in the first 5 or 6 seasons and then never went back to them.  Hinted at more and then ignored them. The last season was just bizarre IMO.

Yep. Season 8 needed to be just the build up to the Long Night (which I actually really liked) Then they needed 2 more season of buildup towards the sacking of Kings Landing, Dany devolving into madness and tying up the side plots. Would have been just fine. But they rushed it. 

• Like 1

I’m so turned off by last two seasons of GoT. Will eventually watch, but probably wait to binge a year or two. Just don’t like that they have minimal source material and how bad show was without it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, homerpat said:

I’m so turned off by last two seasons of GoT. Will eventually watch, but probably wait to binge a year or two. Just don’t like that they have minimal source material and how bad show was without it. 

On the flip side If they had 8 books or source material you probably would be mad they didn’t copy it word for word.  I never ready any of the GoT books so I didn’t get all worked up about the ending other than it felt really rushed and they didn’t tie up all the loose ends.  But fanboys were so mad they deviated from the books it was actually kind of pathetic….they cared too much about that.

1 hour ago, DBW said:

On the flip side If they had 8 books or source material you probably would be mad they didn’t copy it word for word.  I never ready any of the GoT books so I didn’t get all worked up about the ending other than it felt really rushed and they didn’t tie up all the loose ends.  But fanboys were so mad they deviated from the books it was actually kind of pathetic….they cared too much about that.

The books haven't ended yet, so they don't really know how it ends either.  Supposedly GRRM gave the showrunners the ending, but how they went about getting there was no bueno.  Too rushed.  WAY too rushed compared to the rest of the show leading up to it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DBW said:

I never read the books, and the last 3 episodes were just terrible. That was the end -- just having the dragon go crazy on the whole city?

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, mikemack8 said:

I honestly didn't even hate the first three episodes of season 8 - the scene where they knighted Brienne was incredible.  We got some amazing Tormund moments sprinkled in there as well.  But yeah, the second half and particularly the final episode were poor.  

right after what you're referring to is where it went into the sh***er. "The Long Night," being actually just a literal long night, that ends with Arya jumping in out of nowhere to kill the main antagonist of the series - with 4-5 episodes to go - was just horrific writing. Then spending that remaining time on Cersei actually being the big bad guy, and ya know what, Danerys is just gonna turn heel and kill innocents now made you feel like the series as a whole was a huge waste of time. I've watched Breaking Bad probably 6-7x. I re-watched the early series of GoT while waiting for the newer ones to come out. But the way that final season ended will keep me from ever going back to it. 

2 hours ago, DBW said:

I mean, "fanboys" had the actual context though. The first three seasons are what put this show on the map, culminating with The Red Wedding. Why? Because Joffrey was so easily hatable? No, it was because the story was fantastic, because it came right from the source. As soon as the show runners ran out of source material to adapt the show fell off a cliff. But everyone was all in at that point so they stayed with it. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like this show has the necessary, accompanying source material to work off of with GRRM riding shotgun. Because of that I'm sure it will be good. But I'll wait and just binge it at some point. I cant just jump back into a world that jumped the shark as recently as this, due to how bad the writing was and how desperate the writers were to just wrap it up and be done with it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

right after what you're referring to is where it went into the sh***er. "The Long Night," being actually just a literal long night, that ends with Arya jumping in out of nowhere to kill the main antagonist of the series - with 4-5 episodes to go - was just horrific writing. Then spending that remaining time on Cersei actually being the big bad guy, and ya know what, Danerys is just gonna turn heel and kill innocents now made you feel like the series as a whole was a huge waste of time. I've watched Breaking Bad probably 6-7x. I re-watched the early series of GoT while waiting for the newer ones to come out. But the way that final season ended will keep me from ever going back to it. 

I mean, "fanboys" had the actual context though. The first three seasons are what put this show on the map, culminating with The Red Wedding. Why? Because Joffrey was so easily hatable? No, it was because the story was fantastic, because it came right from the source. As soon as the show runners ran out of source material to adapt the show fell off a cliff. But everyone was all in at that point so they stayed with it. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like this show has the necessary, accompanying source material to work off of with GRRM riding shotgun. Because of that I'm sure it will be good. But I'll wait and just binge it at some point. I cant just jump back into a world that jumped the shark as recently as this, due to how bad the writing was and how desperate the writers were to just wrap it up and be done with it. 

This was the part that made zero sense to me. You built 7 seasons showing her being a somewhat compassionate leader (freeing slaves), and then...screw, kill 'em all with fire. It made zero sense.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

This was the part that made zero sense to me. You built 7 seasons showing her being a somewhat compassionate leader (freeing slaves), and then...screw, kill 'em all with fire. It made zero sense.

Crazy runs in the Targaeryan family 

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

They did some stuff in the final seasons there that tried to show her reasons for spiraling down.  In no particular order - losing two of her dragons, having advisers go behind her back and repeatedly fail her, losing Missandei, Jon rejecting her.  I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but IMO it was there, they just really crammed it all into a small sample and rushed it to the end.  Just an epic failure of storytelling.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

They did some stuff in the final seasons there that tried to show her reasons for spiraling down.  In no particular order - losing two of her dragons, having advisers go behind her back and repeatedly fail her, losing Missandei, Jon rejecting her.  I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but IMO it was there, they just really crammed it all into a small sample and rushed it to the end.  Just an epic failure of storytelling.

I thought it it was hammered home pretty hard and bluntly when they did this:

Daenerys White Savior Blank Template - Imgflip

Daenarys was going to subvert the white savior narrative just like Joffrey subverted the charming prince.  I seriously don't understand how anybody didn't see it coming a mile away.

One of the more unforgivable abandonments in the final season was mailing in Varys dialogue.  D00de was as sharp a wit as Tyrion but suddenly he was nothing but sullen short answers.  Those producers and writers quiet quit before quiet quitting was cool.

• Like 2

I still rewatch GOT from time to time, just because those first 4 seasons are flat out amazing. 5 & 6 are solid too. After battle of the **** I usually call it quits because everything after is just meh, with a few good moments sprinkled in. I might watch certain episodes in late seasons, but won’t binge the entire season. 

House of the Dragon, really enjoyed that first episode. 

The book talks about a prophecy that says "the dragon has three heads" 

It's heavily implied that Tyrion Lannister is actually a Targaryen **** -  it was rumored that The Mad King was obsessed with Tywin's wife and actually raped her, prompting Tywin to resign as Hand and turn on him during Robert's Rebellion. 

I thought they were going in that direction in this scene when Tywin makes a comment that "I can't prove you're not mine" 

And in this scene he says "I brought you up as my son" 

And says "you're no son of mine" when Tyrion kills him 

https://youtu.be/SE2mpse6O1c

I think that was the original plan and D&B decided to crap on it and dumb things down 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DBW said:

Not really. Best moments in show were influenced by book plot. the second they ran out of source material is moment most of the world agreed it generally fell apart. People flipped about Wheel of Time and all the changes, but I liked it. 

• Like 2