HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of Dragons

Mike030270

I’m excited. It says on google that premiere  date is January 1st but I don’t think that’s confirmed. 

I've been procrastinating on reading the Fire & Blood book. It's been on my shelf for years. Going to need to get into it soon

10 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I've been procrastinating on reading the Fire & Blood book. It's been on my shelf for years. Going to need to get into it soon

I've started it twice. Read the first 10 pages or so a few years ago shortly after it came out. Read a hundred pages a few months ago after I finished a second read through of the first 5 books hoping it would scratch my GoT itch. It's tough. The entire thing is written as if it's a history book... I'll probably give it another go eventually, but I feel like the actual series does a decent enough job at telling the story of the Targaryen dynasty that a detailed history book isn't all that necessary. It's actually infuriating that GRRM would spend time on something like that before finishing the original series. Fat ahole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 8:16 AM, Kz! said:

I've started it twice. Read the first 10 pages or so a few years ago shortly after it came out. Read a hundred pages a few months ago after I finished a second read through of the first 5 books hoping it would scratch my GoT itch. It's tough. The entire thing is written as if it's a history book... I'll probably give it another go eventually, but I feel like the actual series does a decent enough job at telling the story of the Targaryen dynasty that a detailed history book isn't all that necessary. It's actually infuriating that GRRM would spend time on something like that before finishing the original series. Fat ahole.

If I were a conspiarcy guy I'd say he already wrote them but wants to release posthumously so they don't burn him at the stake for what's in it.

• 5 months later...

Is that homie first of his name? I forget how many of his name Danerys' golden crown brother was. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, NOTW said:

I will watch

Didn't know that they weren't going to start at the beginning of the book

Disappointing 

On 10/7/2021 at 9:51 PM, Mike030270 said:

Like KZ, I couldn't get through it. If you want a good quick read about some of the Targaryen roots, go with this one. It's really good. The protagonist, Sir Duncan the Tall, is referenced in the first season of GoT.

51sNQWECxGL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Like KZ, I couldn't get through it. If you want a good quick read about some of the Targaryen roots, go with this one. It's really good. The protagonist, Sir Duncan the Tall, is referenced in the first season of GoT.

51sNQWECxGL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

I'm actually almost finished Fire and Blood

Some parts dragged about the descendants and some of them were really interesting

I was hoping the show was going to start at the beginning with Aegon and his sisters taking Westeros but it actually starts off many generations after that

A big risk with a show like that is recapturing the magic of the things that made GOT enjoyable.  It's bad when they try to kind of copy/paste but with a tweak on certain things and not do something original.  Like GOT had a lot of interesting and well developed side characters in addition to the core cast.  It can be very difficult for a spinoff show to stand on its own when everything will be compared to the original.  I don't know the books, but hopefully they have a good core of characters we'll be invested in.  You go into it expecting GOT the Wish version and hopefully surprised by a quality show.

They need to figure out how BCS was able to follow BB and how to differentiate with still allowing same universal feel. That should be a blueprint for all future prequels or sequels. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

GoT is finally in 4k on HBO Max

one of the platforms (Vudu? Amazon? multiple?) were offering a $50 promo to digitally purchase all 8 seasons in 4k about 1-2 weeks back. I bought the disc+digital packages throughout its run, so i have something like seasons 1-6 in HD(1080) digital and blu ray and then just the final 1-2 seasons in UHD/BluRay with 4k digital... but i feel like whenever you own something on digital thats HD, entering a new upload code for the 4k digital says "you already own a copy of this" -- so a direct digital purchase just seemed like it would be a waste of $50 to potentially have nothing change with the streaming quality 

I'm still salty about how bad the last season was, but will check out the prequel. 

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

LOL.  I see HBO had to go down the socially acceptable checklist.  That blonde hair looked so natural.  

Anyway, I just subscribed to HBO max in advance of this coming out.  Any other suggestions?

You’d like "Winning Time” about the Lakers. I hate the Lakers but loved the show. Time Traveler’s Wife was good too

On 8/15/2022 at 6:56 PM, Gannan said:

You’d like "Winning Time” about the Lakers. I hate the Lakers but loved the show. Time Traveler’s Wife was good too

Winning Time is full of winning. I was I was 30 years old and could have been bros with Dr Buss or even John C Reilly