HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of Dragons

Mike030270

Ugh. Wish this was about the conquest. I didn't care about majority of his descendants in the book

Good first episode though

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Ugh. Wish this was about the conquest. I didn't care about majority of his descendants in the book

Good first episode though

Not sure how long this series is planned to go… I doubt they cover 172 years until danerys is born or whatever the length of time they showed was. I feel like this is that "dance of dragons” or whatever they called it where all the internal wars happened within the Targaryen dynasty and factions broke off, leading to all the dragons eventually dying?

10 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Not sure how long this series is planned to go… I doubt they cover 172 years until danerys is born or whatever the length of time they showed was. I feel like this is that "dance of dragons” or whatever they called it where all the internal wars happened within the Targaryen dynasty and factions broke off, leading to all the dragons eventually dying?

I meant Aegons conquest. This show is about his descendants many generations after

20220817_172612.thumb.jpg.0fdf94f50a5a57fe214a77e88ea24929.jpg

3-4 seasons covering a 2-3yr window. Sounds about right. 

I remember seeing a cartoon from histories of westeros that covered this Taergaryen civil war and it was fantastic, easily the coolest of those cartoons.  So the bullet points of what happened there is certainly enough for 1 good season.  If this is a 2-3 year show i don;t really know what else is supposed to be in here.  Looks like this is going to be Matt Smith's (Daemon) show, nobody else stood out much, seems like a significantly weaker cast than the original show had.

10 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I hate Matt Smith's face - that's all I really have to say after episode 1

that's a good thing, right?  He clearly by a mile was the one guy creating a strong reaction.  If we end up hating him anywhere near as much as joffrey that's a big win for the series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dawkins4prez said:

that's a good thing, right?  He clearly by a mile was the one guy creating a strong reaction.  If we end up hating him anywhere near as much as joffrey that's a big win for the series.

Yes - he played his part incredibly well.  Only character who really stood out, for sure.  

• Like 1

I streamed and afterwards in the behind the episode they were talking about Daemon actually being the one showing the most compassion at the funeral and being very pro-his family. I think maybe similar to a Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, this will be a guy who never was plotting or planning to overtake the throne, but given all the sheet talking about him he's witnessing in the Council and his brother essentially throwing him out (granted, "Heir for a Day" wouldn't be received well by anyone :lol: ) may be the catalyst that drives him against his family/brother. 

I thought it was pretty good, not great. It certainly didn’t flop. I’m definitely invested for at least the next episode. Daemon seems like a real ****. 

I still want to see the original Thrones pilot with like half the cast being different people 

20 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I streamed and afterwards in the behind the episode they were talking about Daemon actually being the one showing the most compassion at the funeral and being very pro-his family. I think maybe similar to a Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, this will be a guy who never was plotting or planning to overtake the throne, but given all the sheet talking about him he's witnessing in the Council and his brother essentially throwing him out (granted, "Heir for a Day" wouldn't be received well by anyone :lol: ) may be the catalyst that drives him against his family/brother. 

Except for the fact that Rhaenyra walks into the throne room to him sitting on the Iron Throne, talking about him being the heir :lol: 

Just now, mikemack8 said:

Except for the fact that Rhaenyra walks into the throne room to him sitting on the Iron Throne, talking about him being the heir :lol: 

I mean tbf he was at that time :lol:

Just now, Agent23 said:

hell! Ned Stark of all people decided to put a hit out on Ser Greggor Clenganne from sitting on that same throne! 

• Like 1

Just now, Agent23 said:

True - maybe he was just trying to impress his young niece with sitting on the throne and gifting her the necklace.  Targaryens gotta keep it in the fam!

38 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Well, it was enough to get me to tune in for the next episode. 

Yeah - by the end of the episode, I was like "yep - I'm in on this".  Took a while for it to get its legs under it, but when it did I thought it was a pretty strong pilot

Just now, mikemack8 said:

True - maybe he was just trying to impress his young niece with sitting on the throne and gifting her the necklace.  Targaryens gotta keep it in the fam!

as much as S1E1 Dany stripping down nekkid was far more appealing to my interests than this new girl, Dany irritated me to no end by the close of that series so the niece jumps her in line as of the time of this posting. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

as much as S1E1 Dany stripping down nekkid was far more appealing to my interests than this new girl, Dany irritated me to no end by the close of that series so the niece jumps her in line as of the time of this posting. 

I didn't watch GoT when it was first airing. After hearing everyone complain about the last season, I streamed the series on HBO Max figuring that it was just fan boys being whiny little ****es.

Nope. That last season was an abortion, mainly because of Dany.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I didn't watch GoT when it was first airing. After hearing everyone complain about the last season, I streamed the series on HBO Max figuring that it was just fan boys being whiny little ****es.

I love the evolution of you coming around to "his takes are accurate" over the years! 

• Haha 1

I honestly didn't even hate the first three episodes of season 8 - the scene where they knighted Brienne was incredible.  We got some amazing Tormund moments sprinkled in there as well.  But yeah, the second half and particularly the final episode were poor.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

The writers set like a half dozen major events / prophecies up in the first 5 or 6 seasons and then never went back to them.  Hinted at more and then ignored them. The last season was just bizarre IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

I still want to see the original Thrones pilot with like half the cast being different people 

The one that was so bad they almost canceled the show?