HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of Dragons

Mike030270

10 hours ago, vikas83 said:

This was the part that made zero sense to me. You built 7 seasons showing her being a somewhat compassionate leader (freeing slaves), and then...screw, kill 'em all with fire. It made zero sense.

They did foreshadow a lot more in book, but the show dropped the ball badly. I would always joke about people who names their kid Daenerys or Khaleesi eventually feeling even more stupid than they should. 

IMO Bran winning crown and GrRM saying that was his actual ending is what baffled me the most. Either show runners totally fudged up (which they did) or the book would have had same horrible ending. There was no foreshadowing. Totally ignored entire raven plotline and in general was so unsatisfying in every way. 

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Started binging GOT again for the 3rd time.  Now I don't have time to watch this, yet.  I think I'll wait until the entire first season is done.  It's funny, because this show is why we got HBOmax again last week and all of the sudden we're watching Mare of EastWood and I'm watching GOT again.  

Had you previously seen Mare of Easttown?  Fantastic show

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No.  we haven't had HBO for a while.  Last show we watched on HBO was the Jason Bateman series based in GA.  Mare of Easttown is good so far, but the accents are so over-done.  I am sure that's been discussed a ton.  It was parodied on SNL.  

even still, the show is phenomenal in spite of that. Really awesome storytelling and one of the tighter all around miniseries I can recall. 

• Like 2

Yeah they over did the accent thing a bit, but after a bit you don't even notice it really.  At least I didn't 

12 hours ago, homerpat said:

Not really. Best moments in show were influenced by book plot. the second they ran out of source material is moment most of the world agreed it generally fell apart. People flipped about Wheel of Time and all the changes, but I liked it. 

Hardhome was phenomenal and I'll call that "show created" because its so indirectly referenced in the book that I think its unfair to consider it influenced by book plot. I miss that era of watching the show week to week. I was straight SHOOK after that episode finished. 

51 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Hardhome was phenomenal and I'll call that "show created" because its so indirectly referenced in the book that I think its unfair to consider it influenced by book plot. I miss that era of watching the show week to week. I was straight SHOOK after that episode finished. 

Agreed. It did have some non book episodes and moments. I’d also add Hodor for non book, but generally speaking where it diverged it failed. 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

19 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

The book talks about a prophecy that says "the dragon has three heads" 

It's heavily implied that Tyrion Lannister is actually a Targaryen **** -  it was rumored that The Mad King was obsessed with Tywin's wife and actually raped her, prompting Tywin to resign as Hand and turn on him during Robert's Rebellion. 

I thought they were going in that direction in this scene when Tywin makes a comment that "I can't prove you're not mine" 

And in this scene he says "I brought you up as my son" 

And says "you're no son of mine" when Tyrion kills him 

https://youtu.be/SE2mpse6O1c

I think that was the original plan and D&B decided to crap on it and dumb things down 

He hated Tyrion because he was a dwarf and killed Tywins wife during childbirth. That is a crazy theory that he's a Targaryen lol

18 hours ago, homerpat said:

They did foreshadow a lot more in book, but the show dropped the ball badly. I would always joke about people who names their kid Daenerys or Khaleesi eventually feeling even more stupid than they should. 

IMO Bran winning crown and GrRM saying that was his actual ending is what baffled me the most. Either show runners totally fudged up (which they did) or the book would have had same horrible ending. There was no foreshadowing. Totally ignored entire raven plotline and in general was so unsatisfying in every way. 

Martin has also said he doesn't know who would be the king in the end because the books aren't finished yet. He also said his version differs greatly from the show

So who the hell knows. I doubt he would tell anyone the actual truth until the books are done though

8 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No.  we haven't had HBO for a while.  Last show we watched on HBO was the Jason Bateman series based in GA.  Mare of Easttown is good so far, but the accents are so over-done.  I am sure that's been discussed a ton.  It was parodied on SNL.  

if you like toons, Primal over on the Adult Swim hub is finishing up 2nd season as we speak.  It's from the guy that did Samurai Jack.

nice premiere. i loved in beginning when the dragon flew over the city and people barley even looked skyward. what a difference 200yrs makes. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

nice premiere. i loved in beginning when the dragon flew over the city and people barley even looked skyward. what a difference 200yrs makes. 

most unrealistic part of the first episode. I, a 35 year old man, still look at the sky everytime i hear an airplane......

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, BFit said:

most unrealistic part of the first episode. I, a 35 year old man, still look at the sky everytime i hear an airplane......

Especially when it's a really low flying military plane or something - then you even run outside just to see it :roll: 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Especially when it's a really low flying military plane or something - then you even run outside just to see it :roll: 

and meanwhile all of them are like, meh, just another targaryen riding a dragon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

image.png.d71bd7e186f8b22f3dbec0c7b762554f.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I literally pulled over to the side of the road to gawk when I first saw a F-22 flying in the wild. :roll: 

• Haha 1

Somewhere around half way through ep2 they dropped the jarringly stilted script and audience hand holding and morphed into one of the best "set up" episodes the Ip has known.  Many of the actors and characters that seemed uninteresting suddenly became interesting.  They got me reeled in now.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Somewhere around half way through ep2 they dropped the jarringly stilted script and audience hand holding and morphed into one of the best "set up" episodes the Ip has known.  Many of the actors and characters that seemed uninteresting suddenly became interesting.  They got me reeled in now.

Don't you think you can talk about my brother like that though! 

I'm in on this show. The production values are great. It's already making me care about these characters and all of the intrigue about alliances, the rightful heir, and the crabfeeder!

My wife and I loved the original series (up until the end) and we are back to being hooked on this. 

3 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I'm in on this show. The production values are great. It's already making me care about these characters and all of the intrigue about alliances, the rightful heir, and the crabfeeder!

My wife and I loved the original series (up until the end) and we are back to being hooked on this. 

this is basically season 1 of thrones without having half a dozen locations and POV to be thrown at us at once.

• Jon/Nights Watch
  • Winterfell (Robb keeping afloat when Ned is gone, keeping the peace when Ned is attacked, I think being crowned end of 10 after Ned's beheading)
  • Kings Landing (learning Robert's backstory and motives, bond with Ned, injury and succession, battle for power with Cersei and Joffrey, Jaime as antagonist)
  • Riverlands/Eyrie (Cat takin Tyrion hostage, learning about the crossroads where people will continue to pass in the series, meeting her psycho sister and widow of the former Hand of the King, Cat)
  • Tyrion - basically his own POV character that crossed paths with Jon early on, then Cat later on, then goes on his own adventures with Bronn leading to meeting Tywin and Jaime commanding an army 
  • Danerys - basically everything with her and Jorah and Drogo and Dothroki and learning all the lore of these people

This show is basically just saying "what if we only had the Kings Landing political intrigue to start with and just focused episodes on those people and players" 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

This show is basically just saying "what if we only had the Kings Landing political intrigue to start with and just focused episodes on those people and players" 

Well that, and MOAR DRAGONS!!!

Sounds like we'll have lots of F'ing and lots of children from all 3 of our main protagonists 

Surprised the show finally displayed how young the girls are that get married off and all. ASOIAF characters were a lot younger than the show had

It's gross but it's more accurate