Disney +

The_Omega

I'm the opposite. I though Luca was ok, but liked Raya better. I don't think either movie was at the level I usually expect from Disney/Pixar though.

Idk what I expected out of Luca but I didn't think the story was all that interesting

8 hours ago, devpool said:

I'm the opposite. I though Luca was ok, but liked Raya better. I don't think either movie was at the level I usually expect from Disney/Pixar though.

Idk what I expected out of Luca but I didn't think the story was all that interesting

After finishing Raya, I thought it picked up quite a bit and ended up being good after the first 20-30 minutes.  Raya had some funny parts, and I’d probably agree now that it’s better than Luca.

My wife and I watched "Luca" with the boy (he's 8). My 11yo girl has decided she is too cool to watch Disney movies with the family (dear sweet merciful lawd give me strength). My wife and I loved it. The boy thought it was "weird" at first but got really into it by the end. Definitely worth a watch. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:58 AM, Gannan said:

My wife and I watched "Luca" with the boy (he's 8). My 11yo girl has decided she is too cool to watch Disney movies with the family (dear sweet merciful lawd give me strength). My wife and I loved it. The boy thought it was "weird" at first but got really into it by the end. Definitely worth a watch. 

My son is also 8.  He can watch cartoon zombies, vampires, Pokemon, etc.  But some of the Pixar movies bother him because they are always full of tragedy with parents or dealing with heavy emotions.  Does Luca get all emo like Inside Out or depressing like Up?

11 minutes ago, NOTW said:

My son is also 8.  He can watch cartoon zombies, vampires, Pokemon, etc.  But some of the Pixar movies bother him because they are always full of tragedy with parents or dealing with heavy emotions.  Does Luca get all emo like Inside Out or depressing like Up?

A little. The one boy is on his own because he was ditched by his father. The other one runs away because his parents want to send him away and that is how they meet and become friends. 

• Thanks 1

Still need to see Luca and Raya with the kids. They have been too busy to watch TV with me lately lol.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

the big movie theater companies are really getting pissed at disney. 

i for one feel bad for them not taking $50  from me for a bucket of popcorn and a soda. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

the big movie theater companies are really getting pissed at disney. 

i for one feel bad for them not taking $50  from me for a bucket of popcorn and a soda. 

Sticky/dirty floor, people on their phones, crying kids, people talking...I can get that at home for free!  :lol:

I was pretty critical of Scarlet Witch show and really didn’t care for Falcon show, but Marvel absolutely freaking knocked it out of the park with Loki. Absolutely fantastic 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:00 AM, Boogyman said:

Still need to see Luca and Raya with the kids. They have been too busy to watch TV with me lately lol.

My daughters love Luca. probably watched it 12 times in last few weeks

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 3:57 PM, NOTW said:

Sticky/dirty floor, people on their phones, crying kids, people talking...I can get that at home for free!  :lol:

I hear ya, but paying $30 for a movie at home to stream upon release I just am never ever going to do. I will always be able to find something streaming on Netflix/HBO Max/Amazon Prime for a monthly fee I'm already paying for, before I am going to cough up $30 for a new at home movie. I will go to the theatres for that if I want to see something new that bad and enjoy the movie going experience (even if it does come with the overpriced popcorn/soda). I just can't commit to a $30 streaming movie out of principle (we can just watch something else "for free").   

42 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

I hear ya, but paying $30 for a movie at home to stream upon release I just am never ever going to do. I will always be able to find something streaming on Netflix/HBO Max/Amazon Prime for a monthly fee I'm already paying for, before I am going to cough up $30 for a new at home movie. I will go to the theatres for that if I want to see something new that bad and enjoy the movie going experience (even if it does come with the overpriced popcorn/soda). I just can't commit to a $30 streaming movie out of principle (we can just watch something else "for free").   

I bought it, and the wife and 2 kids all enjoyed watching it at home. I didn't look at it the same way you are, I just wanted to watch it and it was convenient and cheaper to buy it on Disney.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I bought it, and the wife and 2 kids all enjoyed watching it at home. I didn't look at it the same way you are, I just wanted to watch it and it was convenient and cheaper to buy it on Disney.

i also don't have kids, so the bargain of having the 2 kids watch, + maybe a couple of their friends and suddenly $30 being a value isn't going to appeal to me. But on a platform such as Disney+ I see that I am the outlier here and not their target audience. My sister and brother in law would easily cough up $30 to have 2 uninterrupted hours for their 4 kids under 6. 

7 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

i also don't have kids, so the bargain of having the 2 kids watch, + maybe a couple of their friends and suddenly $30 being a value isn't going to appeal to me. But on a platform such as Disney+ I see that I am the outlier here and not their target audience. My sister and brother in law would easily cough up $30 to have 2 uninterrupted hours for their 4 kids under 6. 

Also I watched it a second time the other night, so there is that.

Honestly I probably wont make it a habit to buy movies like this in the future, but this time around it was just more convenient to watch it at home. My kids like going to see the movies Sunday morning/early afternoon and then we usually go out to lunch.

2 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

Same. I haven't paid for one of those yet. I think the only ones I'd want to do that for, are the ones I really want to see and not wait...and those are the ones I usually want to see on the big screen opening weekend. 

But I could see a group of friends or family doing it to save money. Example, I'll wait to see Black Widow for free whenever it's free.

• Like 1

I don't think the $30 is actually buying the movie though, is it? Meaning, you pay $30 (plus your Disney+ subscription) just for the "rights" to watch the film early. In some span of time (60 days?) the movie will become a permanent part of the Disney+ library that anyone with a subscription can watch. But if you cancel or stop paying for your D+ subscription, I'm guessing you completely lose Black Widow. Meaning, if you cancel or choose not to re-new your D+, loading the App wont just be a blank screen with ONLY tiles selectable for the Black Widow on Mulan films that you paid separate money to watch. 

25 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I don't think the $30 is actually buying the movie though, is it? Meaning, you pay $30 (plus your Disney+ subscription) just for the "rights" to watch the film early. In some span of time (60 days?) the movie will become a permanent part of the Disney+ library that anyone with a subscription can watch. But if you cancel or stop paying for your D+ subscription, I'm guessing you completely lose Black Widow. Meaning, if you cancel or choose not to re-new your D+, loading the App wont just be a blank screen with ONLY tiles selectable for the Black Widow on Mulan films that you paid separate money to watch. 

This is right.  We've paid for a couple of them.  Still cheaper to pay the $30 than to take the whole family to the theater.  I haven't sprung for Black Widow, yet, though.  The kids haven't been clamoring to see it, and I'm not paying $30 to watch it by myself.  I may wind up waiting until it's for sale on disc, or streaming for free.

12 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

I share my login with two families so we all pay $10

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NOTW said:

Same. I haven't paid for one of those yet. I think the only ones I'd want to do that for, are the ones I really want to see and not wait...and those are the ones I usually want to see on the big screen opening weekend. 

But I could see a group of friends or family doing it to save money. Example, I'll wait to see Black Widow for free whenever it's free.

right. I followed up this post with another saying I don't have kids so know I'm not the target audience for this type of thing, where the multiple people viewing it helps make it worth the purchase.

That said, I did buy "Nobody" with Bob Odenkirk when it came out for $20 that my fiance and I watched. So for the right scenario I would do it. I'm just a huge BrBa and BCS fan so this was an easy purchase to me, since I felt like I was supporting an actor I'm a big fan of. Just once you go over $20 is where it feels like a litttttttle too much for me haha. 

Yea as long as you get a couple people to pitch in it's an easy decision. I think there were like 7 of us who all went to my friend's house I just gave them $5

On 7/23/2021 at 10:47 AM, JBENT87 said:

right. I followed up this post with another saying I don't have kids so know I'm not the target audience for this type of thing, where the multiple people viewing it helps make it worth the purchase.

That said, I did buy "Nobody" with Bob Odenkirk when it came out for $20 that my fiance and I watched. So for the right scenario I would do it. I'm just a huge BrBa and BCS fan so this was an easy purchase to me, since I felt like I was supporting an actor I'm a big fan of. Just once you go over $20 is where it feels like a litttttttle too much for me haha. 

I don’t disagree. I spent $25 on Bill and Ted 3 and it didn’t feel right. And spoiler it wasn’t worth it, but whatever. I make decent money and it would cost me that to go with wife to movies. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jungle cruise was fantastic!  For $30 my entire family of 4 watched it along with my In laws and my parents will be coming over to watch it at some point. Way cheaper than the movies.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this the thread where we talked about Disney World planning? I'm gonna need someone to explain the new fast pass system to me.

13 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Is this the thread where we talked about Disney World planning? I'm gonna need someone to explain the new fast pass system to me.

When are you planning on going? We used to go every year for a while because I had conferences there every fall, but we haven't been since 2016. Now I want to go back before my kids get too old for it. They are 8 and 11 and will be 9 and 12 this summer. We talked about going this past summer but airfare was outrageous. I wanted to drive down but my daughter was all dramatic about it so we ended up taking a road trip around New England instead (which was awesome, but not much cheaper all things considered).

Not sure if @opengeo is still posting here these days, but I seem to recall he went not too long ago and was talking about the new fast pass system. When we went in 2016 you basically could pick 3 rides a day (or was it 2?) to use a fast pass on and schedule a time window for your fast pass. We used it on the popular rides at the time, Frozen was a big one back when we went.