Disney +

The_Omega

3 hours ago, homerpat said:

Thanks all for convincing me Disney is just not worth it. I’ll take the kids to an island instead. 

If you have young kids, it's still worth it. Mine had a blast in April, and we're already going back for a 12-day trip after xmas. We've done all the major parks in the US, and Disney is still the gold standard.

54 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

If you have young kids, it's still worth it. Mine had a blast in April, and we're already going back for a 12-day trip after xmas. We've done all the major parks in the US, and Disney is still the gold standard.

If we go we are taking kids out of school and going in February. I just find cost insane and the fact that people brag about averaging a ride an hour like that’s supposed to be efficient anywhere else on earth. I know my girls will love it, but it sounds like hell on earth to me. 

26 minutes ago, homerpat said:

If we go we are taking kids out of school and going in February. I just find cost insane and the fact that people brag about averaging a ride an hour like that’s supposed to be efficient anywhere else on earth. I know my girls will love it, but it sounds like hell on earth to me. 

If you compare apples to apples to other theme parks it's honestly not that much more expensive. Even staying on site, the lower end hotels are actually fairly cheap. But obviously the cost can get crazy with some of the higher end hotels. Food isn't cheap either, but it never is at theme parks though. Where it gets annoying is in the planning as all the options at the parks, rides, restaurants, hotels, etc can get super overwhelming. Things are much simpler at the lower end parks.

I get that it's not for everyone, but for us at least, the cost and planning is well worth it in the end because my kids love it so much. 

31 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

If you compare apples to apples to other theme parks it's honestly not that much more expensive. Even staying on site, the lower end hotels are actually fairly cheap. But obviously the cost can get crazy with some of the higher end hotels. Food isn't cheap either, but it never is at theme parks though. Where it gets annoying is in the planning as all the options at the parks, rides, restaurants, hotels, etc can get super overwhelming. Things are much simpler at the lower end parks.

I get that it's not for everyone, but for us at least, the cost and planning is well worth it in the end because my kids love it so much. 

I get it and yeah all parks screw you for food. Difference is you don’t stay overnight most other places. I personally just don’t really care about Disney. When I go to to parks it’s for thrill rides and so far my kids love the scarier the better. That said I’m positive they’d love it and we will go. Just depends how long we go for

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 1:31 AM, we_gotta_believe said:

Wait, have you actually bought tickets and booked your dates yet? There's a new wrinkle where you have to make reservations for the park itself on the day you plan to go. So if you haven't done that yet, you need to do so ASAP as there are some days where the parks are already at capacity. 

So I guess to back things up a bit, this is what I would suggest you do in order...

1) Figure out how many days you plan on going to the parks (if not already done so). For the sake of simplicity, let's set park hopping aside for now and just focus on 1-park-per-day.

2) Figure out what parks you want to visit for the days you plan on being there. E.g. If exactly 4 park days, then each park once? if less than 4 days, which park(s) will you be missing out on. If more than 4 days, 1 for each park, and then which ones to double up on?

3) Figure out the days you want to go to each park and reserve those park days now. You can always try to change it after the fact if  your plans change assuming there's still capacity. (Note: Dining reservations also are a factor here, but it sounds like you don't have any yet, seeing as how you missed the 60-day window on this, so for simplicity, let's just assume all food will be counter service or walk-up waitlists.)

4) Now that you've figured out which parks you'll be visiting, go through the attractions list for each park and prioritize which ones you want to do.

https://touringplans.com/magic-kingdom/attractions

https://touringplans.com/hollywood-studios/attractions

https://touringplans.com/epcot/attractions

https://touringplans.com/animal-kingdom/attractions

Sounds like you are going without family and have no kids, so obviously take that into account when looking at the ride ratings and sort the list accordingly (e.g. don't do the stupid slow-moving dark ride exhibits like peter pan, winnie the pooh, etc.) Disney has tons of rides that are super duper popular with surprisingly long lines, but only because of nostalgia factor or because they are geared towards younger kids. In other words, I'm not sure a dude in his thirties will find it worthwhile to wait 90 min to ride the Slinky Dog Coaster at Hollywood Studios, but that 20 min wait for Expedition Everest or Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom might be more worth it.

5) Once you've got a list together from steps 3 and 4, I can help plan out things in a bit more detail. Just take note that because genie+ reservations are unpredictable, you will have to be able to improvise on the fly once you're in the parks. But coming up with a general framework for each park is still worth doing as you'll be able to save a ton of time and hit more of the rides you're wanting to get done.

I am buying tickets tomorrow. All parks are available when we're looking at going, there is no way I am booking ish 60 days in advance :lol:

Basic plan was to get the park hopper and a 3 day pass, try and smash out as much as possible in those 3 days (1 day at Universal with @Agent23 out of the 4 total days I am there) and jumping between parks if we get through one pretty quickly or lose interest. I'd also look at doing Animal Kingdom in the first half of a day with the park hopper as they close earlier than the other parks.

I have been to Disneyland a couple of times, I think I want to see the stuff that is more exclusive to Disney World plus all the Star Wars stuff. I'll send the links with the attractions to the couple I am going with and see if they can bullet point what they're interested in. My gut says I'll wonder off on my own for extended periods. I am debating paying for Genie + I butchered the system last time and being early November I figure it will be a lot quieter and not a necessity. I'll look into it as we get closer to the date

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mat said:

I am buying tickets tomorrow. All parks are available when we're looking at going, there is no way I am booking ish 60 days in advance :lol:

Basic plan was to get the park hopper and a 3 day pass, try and smash out as much as possible in those 3 days (1 day at Universal with @Agent23 out of the 4 total days I am there) and jumping between parks if we get through one pretty quickly or lose interest. I'd also look at doing Animal Kingdom in the first half of a day with the park hopper as they close earlier than the other parks.

I have been to Disneyland a couple of times, I think I want to see the stuff that is more exclusive to Disney World plus all the Star Wars stuff. I'll send the links with the attractions to the couple I am going with and see if they can bullet point what they're interested in. My gut says I'll wonder off on my own for extended periods. I am debating paying for Genie + I butchered the system last time and being early November I figure it will be a lot quieter and not a necessity. I'll look into it as we get closer to the date

Thanks for your help

No prob, glad to help. For us, paying for G+ was a no-brainer, but we have two young kids so waiting in any line for more than 20 min is always dicey. On average it probably saved us a couple hours each day, so just depends on how much time you have and what rides you're trying to knock out.

Just now, we_gotta_believe said:

No prob, glad to help. For us, paying for G+ was a no-brainer, but we have two young kids so waiting in any line for more than 20 min is always dicey. On average it probably saved us a couple hours each day, so just depends on how much time you have and what rides you're trying to knock out.

I feel like the ones that are always problematic at Disneyland were Space Mountain, Cars and Soarin' Around the World. I managed to use the single rider lane to bypass the wait on Cars and Soarin' Around the World (while also checking the app constantly). Space Mountain I went close to close and managed to go 3 times in a row with little wait :lol:

Looking at Animal Kingdom for example, I would guess Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest would be those two rides that you either need to be smart about when you go, book through Genie + or use the single rider lines if they exist. The Star Wars stuff I imagine is also problematic with wait times. 

13 minutes ago, Mat said:

I feel like the ones that are always problematic at Disneyland were Space Mountain, Cars and Soarin' Around the World. I managed to use the single rider lane to bypass the wait on Cars and Soarin' Around the World (while also checking the app constantly). Space Mountain I went close to close and managed to go 3 times in a row with little wait :lol:

Looking at Animal Kingdom for example, I would guess Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest would be those two rides that you either need to be smart about when you go, book through Genie + or use the single rider lines if they exist. The Star Wars stuff I imagine is also problematic with wait times. 

Flight of Passage isn't part of Genie+, it's an individual lightning lane, meaning you have to pay for that a la carte (separate from Genie+) if you want to skip the standby line. And expedition everest usually has a disproportionally short wait. Not sure if it's because it scares off families with young kids or what, but the posted wait time for the day we went to AK in April was 20 min, which means the actual wait was probably like 10-15 min. Which kinda brings me to another point, for some parks like AK and EPCOT, you won't get as much value out of Genie+. You'll still save time with it, but not as much as you'd save at MK or HS.

@Mat I’ve seen Disneyland mentioned a few times and my moronic self is so used to traditional world map (you guys out east of us) that all of a sudden the "a couple times” part made my brain go "DUH! he totally flies into the US via our west coast” :roll: 

32 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

@Mat I’ve seen Disneyland mentioned a few times and my moronic self is so used to traditional world map (you guys out east of us) that all of a sudden the "a couple times” part made my brain go "DUH! he totally flies into the US via our west coast” :roll: 

Yeah, customs from Australia is either through LA or San Fran.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Bob Iger is back. Stop pushing this crap down our throats 

Wait, you think Iger is going to be more conservative than Chapek was? :lol:

14 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Wait, you think Iger is going to be more conservative than Chapek was? :lol:

He cares about money, that is all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but is anyone watching Willow?  Two episodes in - pretty good so far.  Was my favorite movie as a kid so I may be more excited about this than most.  No Val Kilmer though :thumbdown:

On 11/21/2022 at 1:08 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

Bob Iger is back. Stop pushing this crap down our throats 

He greenlit most of the woke garbage that they're currently pushing down our throats.  

On 12/6/2022 at 7:47 AM, mikemack8 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but is anyone watching Willow?  Two episodes in - pretty good so far.  Was my favorite movie as a kid so I may be more excited about this than most.  No Val Kilmer though :thumbdown:

He’s off saving naval fighter pilot careers don’t got time for your show! 

• Sad 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:47 AM, mikemack8 said:

i just re-watched the original movie because its been so long. gonna start the series tonight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i just re-watched the original movie because its been so long. gonna start the series tonight. 

damn good idea. think i'll introduce the girls to it also. 

we've been rewatching rewatching Disney + Owl House, can't stress enough what a great show this is. 

20 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

damn good idea. think i'll introduce the girls to it also. 

we've been rewatching rewatching Disney + Owl House, can't stress enough what a great show this is. 

its on disney+ of course. the series is supposed to take place some years after the movie, so i figured a re-watch was definitely called for.

i forgot how far back the movie came out, 1988. this was a date movie for the wifey and i back when we were going out. 

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i forgot how far back the movie came out, 1988. this was a date movie for the wifey and i back when we were going out. 

was a date movie for myself also. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

its on disney+ of course. the series is supposed to take place some years after the movie, so i figured a re-watch was definitely called for.

Damn you old fart. I went with my dad when I was a little kid. Who am I kidding I’m old now too

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

watched the 1st episode last night and it was pretty good. 

Spoiler

in regards to madmartigan, queen sorsa does mention she sent him on a misson and has not heard from him since, but that's it so far. 

Regarding Willow

Spoiler

I don't quite get why they're making Willow come off like such a dick so far - he wasn't like that in the movie