Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

On 3/30/2022 at 11:52 AM, time2rock said:

... but over time realized that was a huge mistake ...

If, in 2016 (before the draft) you were told that he would (in the 2017 regular season), lead us to win the NFC East and have us on the brink of the #1 seed and he would be the favorite to win NFL MVP before a late season, season ending injury (and we would still go on to win Super Bowl LII vs. the Patriots), but that was the best he'd ever be and we'd have to trade him away in 2020 (for a 1st and 3rd), would you still pick him or pick someone else?

So, you're guaranteed a Lombardi and he'd play a very large role in making that possible, or we head into the unknown with some other player and no guaranteed Lombardi?

For me, I'll take that guaranteed Lombardi. Regardless of how the rest of the story went. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

When Foles was winning in the 2017 playoff run,  Wentz said it he didn't feel comfortable with them winning without him...

Which is extremely disappointing. If it's true, that level of selfishness is astounding. I understand being disappointed at not being able to personally complete the mission and directly participate in the task at hand. But it was still his team, his teammates and his/the teams fans. Sometimes, you have to set selfish pride aside for the good of the team and the long suffering fans.

I've said it before and it's even more true now, I wouldn't have the post-season  go any other way. If I was guaranteed the same (or similar) results with Wentz over Foles, I'd still want Nick to do what he did. That post-season was 100%, absolute perfection... in all ways, and it keeps me warm on cold winter nights! lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You also learn more about Wentz when the coaches and owners talk about their replacements in comparison.  Lurie and Irsay have both talked about leadership and respect in the locker room in talking about other QBs.  It's pretty obvious.  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:00 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Wentz is a broken player, there is no fixing him at this point.

I have no doubt that he will be 1 and done with Commies as well.

That’s not news surely. Anyone who’ve watched him play post super bowl win and his return. 

1 hour ago, EaglesIreland said:

That’s not news surely. Anyone who’ve watched him play post super bowl win and his return. 

Oh, there are quite a few here who still delude themselves otherwise.

39 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Oh, there are quite a few here who still delude themselves otherwise.

I know there is and maybe if you watched 2019 only you might have some excuse but anyone who watched that 2020 season and still believe that Wentz wasn’t in someway to blame then I can’t help them.

1 hour ago, EaglesIreland said:

I know there is and maybe if you watched 2019 only you might have some excuse but anyone who watched that 2020 season and still believe that Wentz wasn’t in someway to blame then I can’t help them.

People convinced themselves 2020 was a fluke and it’s was everyone’s fault but Carson. Some of those people actually thought Carson would be the MVP in Indy so you’re right. They’re beyond help and I’m more than willing to bet some of those guys will be secretly rooting for Wentz when he plays against the Eagles this year. 

30 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

People convinced themselves 2020 was a fluke and it’s was everyone’s fault but Carson. Some of those people actually thought Carson would be the MVP in Indy so you’re right. They’re beyond help and I’m more than willing to bet some of those guys will be secretly rooting for Wentz when he plays against the Eagles this year. 

No doubt about it, and for the life of me I can't understand what Wentz has done to garner this level of devotion.

He's not a hometown kid from Philly who made it to the big leagues. He's not some stalwart of the community like Dawk. He didn't have a transformative impact on the franchise like Brees had on NO.

All he had was a good 13 weeks or so and that is enough for a segment of the fanbase to trip over themselves in defending a guy who not only failed miserably in two franchises, but is now a member of a division rival. Truly perplexing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

No doubt about it, and for the life of me I can't understand what Wentz has done to garner this level of devotion.

He's not a hometown kid from Philly who made it to the big leagues. He's not some stalwart of the community like Dawk. He didn't have a transformative impact on the franchise like Brees had on NO.

All he had was a good 13 weeks or so and that is enough for a segment of the fanbase to trip over themselves in defending a guy who not only failed miserably in two franchises, but is now a member of a division rival. Truly perplexing.

He was great in 2017 no doubt, but he’s not the guy who won the games that mattered most. He’s never won any of those playoff games at all. The guy who actually won those games doesn’t even get the devotion the guy who failed to complete the  season gets. Career wise the dude is only 4 games over .500, but these delusional people had him as the greatest quarterback in franchise history. The devotion to that guy is insane. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If, in 2016 (before the draft) you were told that he would (in the 2017 regular season), lead us to win the NFC East and have us on the brink of the #1 seed and he would be the favorite to win NFL MVP before a late season, season ending injury (and we would still go on to win Super Bowl LII vs. the Patriots), but that was the best he'd ever be and we'd have to trade him away in 2020 (for a 1st and 3rd), would you still pick him or pick someone else?

So, you're guaranteed a Lombardi and he'd play a very large role in making that possible, or we head into the unknown with some other player and no guaranteed Lombardi?

For me, I'll take that guaranteed Lombardi. Regardless of how the rest of the story went. 

No, obviously I wouldn't sacrifice our one and only Lombardi (not including pre Super Bowl championships in this comment) to avoid having drafted Wentz.  And I definitely agree we would not have been in position to get it without him leading us to the #1 seed that year.  I was admitting I was wrong thinking we finally found our franchise QB after many years.  The real mistake Howie made was in signing him to a massive 2nd contract even after many of his issues (both on the field and in the locker room) were coming to light (which obviously happened after the Super Bowl).

• Like 5

On 3/31/2022 at 12:27 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'd have still drafted him. There are no guarantees even when you have the best team on a roll. Things can happen in a game and then you're out. Look at Alshons drop in 2018. We may have been looking at another trophy if not for that drop. Probably not but who knows.

My point at the time was, Foles played very streaky football but when the chips were on the table he was clutch as it gets. Wentz may have been a better prospect at the time but what you need most in the post season is clutch. You need somebody that can throw the stats out the window and make the plays when it counts the most. Foles went toe to toe with Tom Brady who played possibly his best game ever in the super bowl. Usually you need somebody to be clutch in certain situations. He was clutch pretty much the whole game. Then he once again led us back into the playoffs and was driving for the game winner the next year. I don't know how we traded him. It still baffles me. We could've pulled in a lottery of picks for Wentz at the time.

I'm just glad he and Doug have that statue.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 6:31 AM, Kz! said:

Honestly, we'll never know what he could've/would've been if he didn't blow out his knee in year two. He was a special player before the injury. 

Unfortunately Personality can not be hidden. Wentz Chemistry was off from the start. I always thought that he was too full of himself, from the moment that he was drafted. Quality that does not go away. This trait is what lead to all the locker room issues between him and the rest of the team. Being able to throw the ball is no the only criteria to be a QB in the NFL. Charisma is just as important. Hurts has it. Everywhere where Hurts was, teammates riled around him. Wentz did not.

35 minutes ago, Jenkins27 said:

Frank Gore retiring.

We’ll always have the memories!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

We’ll always have the memories!

Will forever be up there with the Bentley memories.  

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 2:06 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Unfortunately Personality can not be hidden. Wentz Chemistry was off from the start. I always thought that he was too full of himself, from the moment that he was drafted. Quality that does not go away. This trait is what lead to all the locker room issues between him and the rest of the team. Being able to throw the ball is no the only criteria to be a QB in the NFL. Charisma is just as important. Hurts has it. Everywhere where Hurts was, teammates riled around him. Wentz did not.

We were told about the competitive spirit and the perfect wonderlic to go with a photographic memory. It all sounded like a great positive, but ultimately a lot of these attributes led to injuries, changing the play calling, and forcing passes into bad coverages. His know it all attitude failed to help him see he needed a lot of work to improve his game. It’s unfortunate, because the guy has all the physical gifts you want in a quarterback, but the mental and leadership side he’s severely limited as a player. Wentz in his own mind thinks he’s too big to fail and that’s precisely the reason why he does.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

We were told about the competitive spirit and the perfect wonderlic to go with a photographic memory. It all sounded like a great positive, but ultimately a lot of these attributes led to injuries, changing the play calling, and forcing passes into bad coverages. His know it all attitude failed to help him see he needed a lot of work to improve his game. It’s unfortunate, because the guy has all the physical gifts you want in a quarterback, but the mental and leadership side he’s severely limited as a player. Wentz in his own mind thinks he’s too big to fail and that’s precisely the reason why he does.  

Pride comes before the fall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Pride comes before the fall.

I thought summer came before the fall... :huh: 

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2022 at 1:56 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I thought summer came before the fall... :huh: 

They both do. That said certain people will try and turn every thread into a Carson Wentz bashing thread. Every thread they try to do that with it's the same old comments. I think it might have been you that said, yes it ended badly but I wouldn't change anything that lead us to the super bowl win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greend said:

I think it might have been you that said, yes it ended badly but I wouldn't change anything that lead us to the super bowl win

Definitely, I wouldn't. I'm grateful/thankful for Carson's 2017 season. I fully believe that without it, we wouldn't have a Lombardi right now. Maybe Nick could have done it, we'll never know. But as much faith as I had in him for that post-season, I don't know if the season ends the same way without Carson's regular season. 

So I don't care how things ended. I don't care if he was a great leader or a huge liability. It does suck that he didn't turn out to be our franchise QB for 20 years, but I got my Lombardi (don't worry, I'll share it with everyone else), so I'll never complain about how things went. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Definitely, I wouldn't. I'm grateful/thankful for Carson's 2017 season. I fully believe that without it, we wouldn't have a Lombardi right now. Maybe Nick could have done it, we'll never know. But as much faith as I had in him for that post-season, I don't know if the season ends the same way without Carson's regular season. 

So I don't care how things ended. I don't care if he was a great leader or a huge liability. It does suck that he didn't turn out to be our franchise QB for 20 years, but I got my Lombardi (don't worry, I'll share it with everyone else), so I'll never complain about how things went. 

100%

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I honestly don't think there's any way we win the SB without Wentz's regular season. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Kz! said:

I honestly don't think there's any way we win the SB without Wentz's regular season. 

agree 100%