Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jason-peters-visit-a-sign-of-just-how-nervous-the-dallas-cowboys-are-about-tackle-situation/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=jason-peters-visit-a-sign-of-just-how-nervous-the-dallas-cowboys-are-about-tackle-situation

Jason Peters’ visit a sign of just how nervous the Dallas Cowboys are about tackle situation

The Dallas Cowboys are in desperate need of a tackle, which is why they're meeting with 40-year-old offensive tackle Jason Peters.

By Aaron Wilson

August 31, 2022

There’s apparently an uneasy feeling in Dallas about their tenuous offensive tackle situation. It’s an understandable reaction to a position of strength that has rapidly deteriorated, with former All-Pro left tackle Tyron Smith suffering a fracture in his left knee, injuring his hamstring, and undergoing surgery.

That’s why the Cowboys are desperate enough to schedule a visit with nine-time Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters, according to a league source.

Save your draft. Save your team. Win money.

Why the Cowboys are meeting with Jason Peters

The Cowboys could use an experienced blocker like Peters, but he’s 40 years old. Obviously, Dallas is in something of an emergency situation.

The former Philadelphia Eagles starter played last season for the Chicago Bears and acquitted himself well. No deal is imminent, per a league source, but there is mutual interest in potentially working something out.

For now, first-round draft pick Tyler Smith is the frontrunner to start at left tackle in place of Tyron Smith against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a Sept. 11 season opener.

Making matters worse: Tyler Smith is coming off an ankle injury. Nevertheless, during his radio show, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said that Smith is expected to start against Tampa Bay. The backups are rookie Matt Waletzko and Josh Ball.

"We feel good about where we’re going and what our situation looks like,” Cowboys Chief Operating Officer Stephen Jones said on his radio show. "I say it always, we’re always looking to upgrade our roster, and certainly we’ll look to continue to make ourselves better.

"Certainly, the offensive line is one where we aren’t necessarily loaded with depth there, but something that we’ll continue to look at as things come to fruition over the next two or three days as teams are going to expose a lot of players (to waivers). We’ll look at that, and we’ll look at the veterans that are out there and see if we need to beef up right there.”

Tyron Smith’s injuries will likely hold him out until at least December. Peters has been waiting for the right opportunity, and the Cowboys could be a prime chance for him to suit up for a playoff team after wallowing in Chicago last season.

Peters knows the NFC East landscape. He played 12 seasons for the Eagles after being traded from the Bills. Peters makes sense for the Cowboys, but they would be better off if Tyler Smith establishes himself as the guy.

Either way, it’s not a great situation to be in because the significance of losing Tyron Smith can’t be overstated.

Aaron Wilson is the NFL Insider for Pro Football Network. Follow him on Twitter: @AaronWilson_NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xstonr said:

Obviously he's looking for another payday.

Indeed.  Can’t blame him for wanting to collect if teams are dumb enough to sign him at this point.  

It's the only way they'll ever see an NFC East Super Bowl Championship ring from this century... if he shows it to them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So JJAW got cut. 

Then re-signed to Seattle’s PS. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Then re-signed to Seattle’s PS. 

Our 2019 2nd rd pick is now on another team's practice squad.

Our 2020 3rd rd pick is now on our practice squad.

Our 2020 1st rd pick is now on another team's roster.  

:meh:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Our 2019 2nd rd pick is now on another team's practice squad.

Our 2020 3rd rd pick is now on our practice squad.

Our 2020 1st rd pick is now on another team's roster.  

:meh:

Yeah, very bad stretch of drafting there. Hopefully the last two start to turn us around. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yeah, very bad stretch of drafting there. Hopefully the last two start to turn us around. 

Indeed.  Will be interesting to see if 2023 follows the same recent trend now that most of the top personnel guys have moved on.  Hopefully Howie learned some valuable lessons from those earlier crap drafts and the success noted most recently and can build on them.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So JJAW got cut. 

Welcome to 3 days ago!

• Haha 2

On 9/1/2022 at 12:46 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

He seriously needs to hang them up

Remember how disappointed we were when the team brought him back in 2020, he was shot then.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Remember how disappointed we were when the team brought him back in 2020, he was shot then.

I've been complaining about him needing to be replaced since 2017 lol. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I've been complaining about him needing to be replaced since 2017 lol. 

He was taking plays off regularly from 2018, and that can't do anything good for team culture, he's like the anti Dawkins, rather than get rid of him too early, we wrung the last drops out of him and then still gave him an extra couple of one year deals.

• Like 2

I think Peters just want to play. He can also mentor anybody else that Dallas has. Do I Iike him being with another NFC East team? No, but I'm not worried. He's no longer at the level Whitworth was for the Rams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThinkGreen said:

I think Peters just want to play. He can also mentor anybody else that Dallas has. Do I Iike him being with another NFC East team? No, but I'm not worried. He's no longer at the level Whitworth was for the Rams. 

And he's likely good for some false starts throughout the year.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThinkGreen said:

I'm sure he'll be able to give them at least 3 average quarters before ending on IR.  

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I hope he got paid.  These guys only have so many years they can sell their bodies for cash and I love Peters for his time here!  Hard to believe he is the best option out there for a team this early in a season.  

Also, F Dallas!

Peters is a clown. F Dallas. Kelce would never do something like this. That is all. 

• Like 1