Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

They way these two linebackers are playing right now I don’t want either of them to go. Both are in their prime and killing it right now. White has been excellent against the pass. Edwards has done everything asked and more. You move on from older players like Cox and Graham, but you lock up guys in their 20s playing at a high level. Trust me though there were way more people who loved the Jones pick than hated it. 

While I completely agree with that, I just don't know how we will be able to sign all of the key players that fit that description that are scheduled to hit free agency (Bradberry, CJGJ, Epps, Edwards, White, Hargrave, Semualo, etc.).  Although 3 of them are 29 (Hargrave, Bradberry, and Seumalo) so perhaps that factors into the decision-making process.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I remember how everyone said how great that pick was when it happened. I also remember how everyone wanted to anoint this kid as a starter before he earned it. I’m getting those same vibes with Nakobe Dean. People anointing him way too soon and he also dropped due to injury concerns.

I don't remember anyone anointing him a starter before he earned it - everyone understood he was coming off an injury that can deplete you of your explosiveness and it would remain to be seen if he was still the player he was in college.  Guys come back from achilles injuries with anywhere between 97% and 100% of their former explosiveness.  If he came back at the high end of that, he would have been a very good, and potentially outstanding, NFL player, at a premium position.  He didn't -- he came back closer in the lower to middle of that range, and consequently was just a guy.  On those types of high-risk, high-reward picks, you win some, you lose some, and that one they lost.

That was the draft that was in Philly -- I don't know if that was a distraction for the front office, but they really shi* the bed that year.

Hands up, I liked the Sydney Jones pick. He looked like great value at the time becuse of his upside, despite his injury history. But then, I always expected Daniel T'eo Nesheim to turn into a monster, so what TF do I know about anything

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They way these two linebackers are playing right now I don’t want either of them to go. Both are in their prime and killing it right now. White has been excellent against the pass. Edwards has done everything asked and more. You move on from older players like Cox and Graham, but you lock up guys in their 20s playing at a high level. Trust me though there were way more people who loved the Jones pick than hated it. 

I agree with the idea that you try to keep the players that are proven, but I don't have a problem moving on from a high salary player when you have a young player behind him that is ready to go. The team still sees Dean in practices and overall, he played well in the preseason. Let me put it this way ... Dean came in and immediately took D. Taylor's job security away and Taylor showed flashes in 2021 before his injury.  We all agree that the Eagles are currently playing their best LBs this season, but that doesn't mean Dean isn't ready to play if called upon. 

The people that loved the S. Jones pick loved it because we picked him in the 2nd round. There weren't people clamoring for Jones as a 1st rd pick. People loved the Dean pick because they were willing to use one of our 1st rd picks to get him. That he slid to us was similar to DJax falling to us in round 2. Nobody wanted S. Jones in the 1st round, but like I said, there were people that wanted DJax and Dean in the 1st round and landing them in the 2nd and 3rd rounds was even better. 

On 11/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, time2rock said:

While I completely agree with that, I just don't know how we will be able to sign all of the key players that fit that description that are scheduled to hit free agency (Bradberry, CJGJ, Epps, Edwards, White, Hargrave, Semualo, etc.).  Although 3 of them are 29 (Hargrave, Bradberry, and Seumalo) so perhaps that factors into the decision-making process.  

There will be sacrifices for sure. They can’t pay everyone, but I hope Howie does the thing here. Abe they get another one year deal out of one of these backers. Maybe Howie moves the money around and manipulates the cap to his favor. It’s a problem for later so not worried too much yet. 

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Shocker.  

What's truly shocking is that teams keep signing him and acting surprised when he gets hurt.  He did look good in the short stretches that he played.  Almost had a big catch down the field for the Ravens, but now he'll be out a month cashing paychecks from the Ravens.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

Paying the price for Indy's O Line going to crap, honestly it's hard to see what else he could do that would've been any better at QB with the draft classes the last 2 years. Irsay forcing him to try and win games with Ehlinger was dumb as rocks. Ballard keeping his job when he's responsible for the rest of the roster makes no sense 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Paying the price for Indy's O Line going to crap, honestly it's hard to see what else he could do that would've been any better at QB with the draft classes the last 2 years. Irsay forcing him to try and win games with Ehlinger was dumb as rocks. Ballard keeping his job when he's responsible for the rest of the roster makes no sense 

Thought the same.  If the main goal was to win now (it usually is), then they should have went with Foles.  Going to Ehlinger was a move that basically says you are willing to sacrifice the remainder of the season in favor of seeing what you have in the young QB to see if you need to commit draft resources into acquiring a QB (that kinda makes sense ... but that includes knowing your willing to throw away the rest of the season) .  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Thought the same.  If the main goal was to win now (it usually is), then they should have went with Foles.  Going to Ehlinger was a move that basically says you are willing to sacrifice the remainder of the season in favor of seeing what you have in the young QB to see if you need to commit draft resources into acquiring a QB (that kinda makes sense ... but that includes knowing your willing to throw away the rest of the season) .  

Going to Foles wouldn't have made a difference. I truly think that it starts with Reich. They have been an underachieving bunch since Reich has been there. And the team has been getting worse every season under Reich.

4 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Going to Foles wouldn't have made a difference. I truly think that it starts with Reich. They have been an underachieving bunch since Reich has been there. And the team has been getting worse every season under Reich.

I wasn't suggesting Foles was going to become some kind of savior there but he would have given them a better chance to win than Ehlinger.  But who knows, perhaps that was Reich's decision to roll with the latter and Irsay wasn't on board.  

34 minutes ago, Procus said:

When Matt Pryor is your starting LT, you don't have a good OL

They were coming up short even when they had a good Oline. Players win games. Coaches lose games. A lot of talent on that roster and coaching hasn't been cutting it. Reich is loved here in Philly for what he helped accomplish, but he hasn't been able to have that same kind of success since 2017.

1 hour ago, Devaster said:

They were coming up short even when they had a good Oline. Players win games. Coaches lose games. A lot of talent on that roster and coaching hasn't been cutting it. Reich is loved here in Philly for what he helped accomplish, but he hasn't been able to have that same kind of success since 2017.

I think Reich is a victim of changes (side note … Judas Priest reference :rock:).  Back on topic, there has been a different starting QB every year, the OC has changed a few times under his watch.  The best teams usually are those that have some level of consistency.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think Reich is a victim of changes (side note … Judas Priest reference :rock:).  Back on topic, there has been a different starting QB every year, the OC has changed a few times under his watch.  The best teams usually are those that have some level of consistency.

Well he put his neck on the line for Wentz, so Reich isn't exactly innocent when it comes to not having consistently at QB 

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well he put his neck on the line for Wentz, so Reich isn't exactly innocent when it comes to not having consistently at QB 

No doubt.  I do think it was worth looking at Wentz at that time.  I don’t understand making a move for Ryan though and thinking that he was going to be "the guy”.  

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No doubt.  I do think it was worth looking at Wentz at that time.  I don’t understand making a move for Ryan though and thinking that he was going to be "the guy”.  

I agree there. Just a poorly run organization especially after Manning left . They gave Luck no offensive line till it was too late 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, BayAreaLennie said:

That was the draft that was in Philly -- I don't know if that was a distraction for the front office, but they really shi* the bed that year.

That was the first draft with Joe "Draft Guru" Douglas.  We were all excited because Howie finally had a "football guy" to assist in the draft 😂

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree there. Just a poorly run organization especially after Manning left . They gave Luck no offensive line till it was too late 

That they ruined Andrew Luck's career is an absolute shame. Same as how the Washington mob ruined RGIII in that playoff game. Two genuine generational talents whose gifts were wasted.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, time2rock said:

I don’t think they’re going to sign them all especially if they win the Bowl. There’s also a possibility that some of the older vets could simply retire as well. Also almost all of the guys we want the Eagles to resign were actually free agent players signings. Howie has been better at signing free agents than drafting players for sure. So it’s possible that Howie can simply replace some of those guys with different free agents veterans. Howie is going to figure out how to do this properly. The last time in 2017 Howie was faced with a similar situation and both the resigned free agents and the rookies he drafted didn’t really live up to any of the hype. Bradbury is probably going to make a lot of money. Most likely Hargreaves could get paid too. My guess is neither White nor Edwards will be break the bank like contracts and they could probably get away with three year deals. Epps is another guy who shouldn’t cost too much. CJGJ probably will cost and he will come down to if the Eagles want that playmaker over a solid tackling type. Perhaps Howie could use one of his first to select a starting level corner in the draft. Hopefully none of this is something we will need to worry about until after the Super Bowl, but as long as Howie can keep Hurts, Brown, Smith, and Goedert the team should win games.