Dune

DEagle7

9 hours ago, TEW said:

Yeah, but it also makes you wonder why they wouldn't do a summer release?

WB already had that release slot locked down with the Batman so it’s guaranteed to not have to compete. 

They pushed Batman back a few months. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

You know as hyped as this movie is that it's going to be a disappointment :lol: 

i BOUGHT the original (never previously watched) last summer before realizing it was streaming on HBO... definitely not good lmao. I think I bought the book within the past year also because I am looking forward to the film but I don't know if I have faith in myself to spend my free time reading. 

31 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Pretty much.

Between the state of modern Hollywood and the inherent difficulty in translating the source material to film, chances are this doesn't live up to expectations.

3 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Pretty much.

Between the state of modern Hollywood and the inherent difficulty in translating the source material to film, chances are this doesn't live up to expectations.

I'll bet you both it f'ing rules. 

15 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

I'll bet you both it f'ing rules. 

Oh I hope it does - I just know how this stuff usually goes :lol: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, TEW said:

Pretty much.

I think Book 1 could translate decently into a movie, especially broken into 2 parts. It will be hard to nail all the nuance of the universe but at least it's somewhat straightforward plot and plenty of cinematic scenes.  I see zero way of them making the rest of the series work though

Spoiler

main-qimg-47aac884117696b056079f23ab655c

40 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

I see zero way of them making the rest of the series work though

I hope they don't make anything past the first book. IMO the whole thing just went off a cliff. Always baffled me how DUNE is so amazing, and everything that followed was so meh. It's like it wasn't even written by the same dude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrsu37 said:

I hope they don't make anything past the first book. IMO the whole thing just went off a cliff. Always baffled me how DUNE is so amazing, and everything that followed was so meh. It's like it wasn't even written by the same dude.

The second book was a bit of a slog but I liked 3. Didn't read beyond that yet. But agree #1 is definitely my favorite, and seemingly by far the most adaptable to a movie. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, mikemack8 said:

I don’t think one hbo movie realeased at home has been above a C+ so my expectations are quite low

2 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Looks f'ing beautiful.

I will watch it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oct 22 and The Spine of Night will have a special viewing on Shudder the 29th.  That will be a good week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading mostly positive reviews. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think it's going to end up being something like a visual and stylistic hit, but will probably leave fans of the book wanting a little more simply due to the difficulty of the adaptation.