Dune

DEagle7

There was a not-3 minute trailer at imax last night and zero worms 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

There was a not-3 minute trailer at imax last night and zero worms 

Yeah that was the theater only teaser.  

Based on how the books are broken up I unfortunately wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a ton of worm scenes or Zendaya in the first film (remember they're breaking it up into 2 movies). It's still gonna be awesome.  

Eg8kteNXsAINR9H?format=jpg&name=medium

On 8/27/2020 at 5:45 PM, DEagle7 said:
Seriously THIS should be the movie people are getting hyped about in 2021. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but doing an awful job of it. 

My only reservation is that I’m not sure if you can do Dune justice in two 90-120 minute films.

Otherwise I like all of the people involved.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TEW said:

My only reservation is that I’m not sure if you can do Dune justice in two 90-120 minute films.

Otherwise I like all of the people involved.

I haven't seen anything leaked yet about length but I wouldn't be surprised if both movies pushed 180. There is also some talk of a mini series potentially between the movies so that may help.

But fully agree it will be very hard to do it justice. It would almost be better off as a HBO/Netflix series.  Dune isn't Dune without the political/religious intrigue and world building that are both likely to be a slow burn.  Plus IMO it would really be best if they gave the sandworms the Jaws treatment, not revealing too much too quickly to let the anticipation build (which is kinda how they were handled in the book to some extent). There's a reason the first book has been loved for over 50 years and yet no one has been able to do it justice (and only a nutjob savant like Lynch has really had the balls to even try).

But yeah the Villeneuve/Zimmer combo and an all star cast gives me hope at least.

Just now, DEagle7 said:

I haven't seen anything leaked yet about length but I wouldn't be surprised if both movies pushed 180. There is also some talk of a mini series potentially between the movies so that may help.

But fully agree it will be very hard to do it justice. It would almost be better off as a HBO/Netflix series.  Dune isn't Dune without the political/religious intrigue and world building that are both likely to be a slow burn.  Plus IMO it would really be best if they gave the sandworms the Jaws treatment, not revealing too much too quickly to let the anticipation build (which is kinda how they were handled in the book to some extent). There's a reason the first book has been loved for over 50 years and yet no one has been able to do it justice (and only a nutjob savant like Lynch has really had the balls to even try).

But yeah the Villeneuve/Zimmer combo and an all star cast gives me hope at least.

It would 100% be better for exactly the reasons you mention. HBO or whoever should have thrown a couple hundred million at it, shot it all at once like LOTR, and produced 4-5 10 episode seasons as their new anchor show. Even is you do 2 2.5 hour movies with 6-10 hours of a miniseries in between I don’t think it’s enough.

That’s one of the reasons I’m hopeful about Apple’s Foundation. It seems like they at least understand it’s going to need 40+ hours of screen time.

I have em all..... even the stuff his kid wrote.

They have a roadmap of what NOT to do in theater form....... because the challenges of condensing to book to screen are huge.

But this looks good.

• Like 1

I've watched it 3 times already. The Pink Floyd in the background was a nice touch.  It looks incredible, and very true to the first book from what little we can tell.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, DEagle7 said:

October 2021?!? Oh F you. 

I came here for this response lol

11 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I came here for this response lol

Spoiler

mc36r7fbprk51.jpg

Spoiler for (justified) cursing. If Cyberpunk got delayed again or disappoints I may burn this MFer to the ground.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

October 2021???  Holy Hells, I thought it was moving to March or something.

March is "dump the trash" month in theaters. Along with Jan and Feb. 

On 10/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, Agent23 said:

March is "dump the trash" month in theaters. Along with Jan and Feb. 

Yeah, but it also makes you wonder why they wouldn't do a summer release?