Dune

DEagle7

On 10/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, jrsu37 said:

I absolutely loved it, but if you're not familiar with the story, I can see how it could be a little off putting...Especially how it "ended."

I've watched it 3 times since yesterday, and might again after the 6ers tonight. 

hope your as happy with it as I am.  I was expecting to be completely satisfied, nitpick a couple things, and ultimately give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.  I was thinking the Lord of The Rings.  This thing blew me away.  It was never in my imagination that Dune could be made into a movie this good.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:47 AM, jrsu37 said:

I've read the first book prob 7-10 times...Never read any of the others, but have heard mixed reviews on them.

One person I know that's read them all and he said it got too political

Just finished my first re-watch 

my boy Timmy besting that dude Jamis with EASE at the end of the film. Homie bout that life.

• Like 1

I saw the 2nd half of it on a rinka dink TV last night.  It held up much better than I thought it would, but still recommend very strongly you dont do that on 1st watch.

20 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I mean...The first book is VERY political. The whole story is.

I was so satisfied with the first book though that I've never wanted to read the others as I was always told there was a big falloff.

Attach0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:44 AM, mikemack8 said:

Watched last night - having never read the book it took me a little bit to wrap my head around it, but until the end I was completely hooked.  I could have watched another 3 hours of that ish.  Seems like a sequel, while not "official", is definitely going to happen.

Going on vacation this week - might download the book and read it on my flights.  Is the whole series really good, or just the first book?

On 10/25/2021 at 9:47 AM, jrsu37 said:

I've read the first book prob 7-10 times...Never read any of the others, but have heard mixed reviews on them.

First book is definitely the most easily digestible but I enjoyed the series. Essentially becomes a much more blurred story/commentary about political intrigue, religious zealotry, messiah's, ecology etc etc. The overarching world is brilliant but it does turn into a slog sometimes. The second book was my least favorite FWIW.

Read the first and if you love it then give the rest a shot.  If you're kinda "meh" about it though I'd stop there. 

• Like 3

On 10/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, Mike030270 said:

I mean, the whole series is about politics. That’s what it is on the surface level, from petty interpersonal politics to grand geopolitics and religious ideology. If you don’t want to read political analogies this definitely isn’t the series for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEW said:

I mean, the whole series is about politics. That’s what it is on the surface level, from petty interpersonal politics to grand geopolitics and religious ideology. If you don’t want to read political analogies this definitely isn’t the series for you.

Reading it for the first time as a teen that's one of the things I loved about it...It presented problems/ideas/human issues that have been around since the beginning of time in a way that I understood, and was really into. It's literally the reason I got into PoliSci, and majored in it in undergrad. 

I mean looking back it was a little "I'm 17 and this is deep," but I read the book again as recently as last year, and still loved it.

It has a lot of similarities to The Count of Monte Cristo in it's political/social hierarchy themes. And that book...Man.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TEW said:

Spoiler

He said it got too much when he became emperor 

Finally got to watching it. They did a helluva job.  Visuals were stunning. Felt a little rushed (still think a series would have been best) but given the constraints I do appreciate the level of detail they went into.  I'm glad they integrated some of the subtle things like the hand signals and also think they did a decent job with some of the more difficult parts of the story like the voice and demonstrating the nature of Paul's early premonitions - sporadic, inevitable, accurate in some ways and abstract/blurred in others. I also think they did a good job setting up the Bene Gesserit influence in the world and their role in Paul's rise, as well as Paul's fear of the visions of the Jihad he sees in his name, both of which are key if they plan on going beyond book 2.  

Wish they went deeper into the Spacing guild, navigator, mentats (they were introduced but never explained, the empire, the other houses as well why the emperor was wary of house Atreides and the history between the Harkonnens/Atreides.  Also kinda wish the sandworm mouths looked slightly less like buttholes. But overall hard to complain.  Hoping they can fill in some of those gaps in the next movie

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, DEagle7 said:

Finally got to watching it. They did a helluva job.  Visuals were stunning. Felt a little rushed (still think a series would have been best) but given the constraints I do appreciate the level of detail they went into.  I'm glad they integrated some of the subtle things like the hand signals and also think they did a decent job with some of the more difficult parts of the story like the voice and demonstrating the nature of Paul's early premonitions - sporadic, inevitable, accurate in some ways and abstract/blurred in others. I also think they did a good job setting up the Bene Gesserit influence in the world and their role in Paul's rise, as well as Paul's fear of the visions of the Jihad he sees in his name, both of which are key if they plan on going beyond book 2.  

Wish they went deeper into the Spacing guild, navigator, mentats (they were introduced but never explained, the empire, the other houses as well why the emperor was wary of house Atreides and the history between the Harkonnens/Atreides.  Also kinda wish the sandworm mouths looked slightly less like buttholes. But overall hard to complain.  Hoping they can fill in some of those gaps in the next movie

On IMAx it did look like I was staring straight into a 50 ft butt hole.  I almost expected audience members to laugh.  Also, the last version was a series, so I did want a big screen version this time.  It will be remade again, as will LoTR.  These stories are modern masterpieces that will and should be interpreted and reinterpreted many times over.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I've seen it 4 times. Definitely Villanueve's best work. He's in my top 5 of directors right now (Nolan, Villanueve, Matt Reeves, James Cameron, etc).

People say there wasn't heart in the movie. Tell that to his mother during the test. Tell that to Paul as he greets the royal members like family. Tell that to the father as he learns someone tried to take out Paul. There was heart. You just missed it.

Also, special shoutout to Oscar Isaac. He's becoming my favorite actor right now. Every performance is sophisticated. Some of his work:

Ex Machina, Star Wars, A Most Violent Year, Moon Knight, Annihilation, Show Me a Hero, Inside Llewyn Davis

• Like 2

Dune was and still is great. Phenomenal cast, a world that pulls me in. This from a guy who still hasn’t gotten more than 10 pages into the book. 

• Like 1

To all questioning the book series...... I  have read everything including all of his sons books on Dune.......

His son has a bunch of prequel novels.

Then he has several that work just prior and after the first novel.

He did 2 that fall directly after his father's series..... these are using his father's notes and tie some things together. 

Are they political? Absolutely. Is it tolerable? Yes...I hate politics but love these novels. 

There are over 20 books in the Dune universe..... Frank did 6 and his son Brian expanded the storytelling with many more. Including the reasons behind no computers, stories of origins...Mentats, The Guild, The Sisters, Swordsmen,  The different families. 

To those who wish to get lost in this world  .....I recommend finding a chrono order.

Final thought...... Duncan Idaho is key.

finally watched dune on my big-a** 90" samsung yesterday and thought it was really well done. this coming from someone who knew absolutely nothing about the backstory or the books prior to watching.  can't wait for the next one!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

finally watched dune on my big-a** 90" samsung yesterday and thought it was really well done. this coming from someone who knew absolutely nothing about the backstory or the books prior to watching.  can't wait for the next one!

This is the correct take ^

The ambient score is just amazing too...I put it on quite often just to chill to while working.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:19 PM, Steve 17 said:

Final thought...... Duncan Idaho is key.

The 1984 Dune missed this.  He was basically a side note.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, Agent23 said:

This is the correct take ^

well, yeah.

i did have to really, really pay attention during the beginning of the movie to keep track of who the hell everyone was. :lol:  but it wasn't that difficult. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

well, yeah.

i did have to really, really pay attention during the beginning of the movie to keep track of who the hell everyone was. :lol:  but it wasn't that difficult. 

We're proud of you....... this is a big step up from insulting the ex in a group text.

• 1 year later...

Part two gunna be straight fire!!! 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I caught the one night only IMAX re-release Wednesday. Not only did it remain teh awesome but I’m pretty sure they added/expanded like 5-6 scenes because I watched that in theaters (maybe twice?) and several times on HBO (I think it was simultaneous-release?) and at least 1-2 times digitally from when I purchased it. These moments Wednesday all jumped out as completely new but I have not stumbled across anything commenting on added scenes. 

also booked my opening night Dune 2 tickets today as well. 

• Like 2