GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants. 11-15-20 @ 1PM

EagleJoe8

4 hours ago, mjkvol said:

There's actually a very good and valid excuse - the Eagles are not a good football team in any way, shape, or form.          Badly constructed and poorly coached.       

The talent was and has been highly overrated because of 2017,  when everything fell into place for that one glorious season.

The coach was overrated, benefiting in 2017 from an excellent offensive staff and career years from a lot of decent players.          His "QB Guru" reputation has been damaged badly by Wentz' failure to progress.

The GM was (and still is in the national media) horribly overrated, with a badly flawed system for team building that has been exposed by the continued mediocre drafts.          'Locking up' above average talent with awful, back ended contracts and depending on bargain free agent signings will never be a substitute for building a core from solid drafting and using FA simply for depth.        He struck gold with every move in 2017, but has been exposed ever since.

This is an organization in desperate need of a housecleaning, but sadly this entire mess was constructed by Lurie, and will require a humbleness that I'm not sure he possesses.

100% spot on assessment. 

8 hours ago, mjkvol said:

There's actually a very good and valid excuse - the Eagles are not a good football team in any way, shape, or form.          Badly constructed and poorly coached.       

Ding ding ding this one is all over. 

Spot on my friend spot on. 

Agree with everything you've said in your post there. Great post.

if they try and use covid as one of the excuses....they should all be fired..it's not THIS team that has had to deal with the challenges..but EVERY team has had to....so that "excuse" is hollow

From top to bottom, this is not a very good team. It starts with very questionable drafting and personnel decisions, continues through baffling in-game coaching decisions, and ends with a franchise QB who is seriously underperforming. But you already knew all that, didn't you?

There O Line dominated our D Line. 

The Defense gave up 27 points to a 2-7 team. 

The recievers were not getting open. 

The coach gave up on our dominant run game. 

The QB timing was off with Jeffrey and Reagor.

Just an awful game from start to finish.

This had trap game written all over it.  It's just very hard in the NFC EAST To beat a team that many times in a row.  We were headed for a 9 game winning streak across 5 seasons.   The GMen were due.  Not to mention, 0-8 on 3rd Down was pathetic.  We just didn't enough Offensively.   And Defensively we didn't get enough pressure on Danny. We are lucky our division is  a mess because we aren't playing like a 1st Place team.   

44 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

There O Line dominated our D Line. 

The Defense gave up 27 points to a 2-7 team. 

The recievers were not getting open. 

The coach gave up on our dominant run game. 

The QB timing was off with Jeffrey and Reagor.

Just an awful game from start to finish.

But aside from all that, it was a very good outing. 

It was so telling to me that Wentz didn't play any hero ball and this offense had nothing. 

That says a couple of things to me. 

1) Wentz can't play at this level unless he's playing hero ball. He relies on plays breaking down and relies on his athleticism to escape pressure to make plays. 

2) This offensive scheme sucks. This offense has nothing and major changes are needed this off season. That probably means goodbye Doug but that's due to his own stubbornness to not hand over play calling duties. 

20 hours ago, mjkvol said:

I just can't picture Lurie blowing it up, it's inconsistent with his nature.         Schwartz will go, Lurie will think up another motivational slogan while talking about his voluminous notes, Pederson might give up play calling, Roseman might have to bring in another Douglas, but nothing of substance will change at this point.

This is about what I'm expecting. Will somebody take the blame for Wentz' crappy season?

On 11/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, NOTW said:

Can we please agree to stop blaming injuries? They had Lane, Sanders, Goedert and Reagor back and a healthy defense.

They're looking for excuses not reasons.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:05 PM, BirdsFanBill said:

Wentz is average at best. Doug has consistently been bland with his play calling and the team looks unprepared every week. This team is destined for mediocrity at best for the next few years. 

I said, before this season, on another blog seemingly full of brainwashed children, that the Eagles were going nowhere this year; they needed a two year rebuild. It's worse than I thought, unfortunately. We may very well be looking at several years as you mentioned.

This was a game to use a new wrinkle like putting Scott and Sanders in there together for at least 5 plays. They had a bye week to do things like that.  Scott kills the Giants. If you put both in there, it makes it hard for the Giants to key on either one of those guys. But, no ingenuity from all of the offensive minds such as Marty, Rich, Doug and Press. Just the same ole, same ole.

33 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

This was a game to use a new wrinkle like putting Scott and Sanders in there together for at least 5 plays. They had a bye week to do things like that.  Scott kills the Giants. If you put both in there, it makes it hard for the Giants to key on either one of those guys. But, no ingenuity from all of the offensive minds such as Marty, Rich, Doug and Press. Just the same ole, same ole.

Reporter noted to Doug that having Hurts in the defense knows it's a run. Why not take Wentz out instead of fool no one with him at WR, utilize the spot for an actual WR and have Hurts throw sometimes? 

Doug said yeah that's a good idea, we'll look into that.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Reporter noted to Doug that having Hurts in the defense knows it's a run. Why not take Wentz out instead of fool no one with him at WR, utilize the spot for an actual WR and have Hurts throw sometimes? 

Doug said yeah that's a good idea, we'll look into that.

Doug doesn't realize how bad that looks.  How does he not know that he hasn't called 90% percent runs with Hurts in there?  

On 11/15/2020 at 9:28 PM, PoconoDon said:

It's hard to imagine Lurie cleaning house. In the past he did move on from Reid (after too long) and he did finally part ways with a life long friend in joe Banner, but a wholesale makeover seems unlikely.

All things being equal, I stand where I've always stood, for this team to build a dynasty, they better figure out how to draft great year in and year out. A new GM with a clear vision on the type of team the Eagles must be is the first step. We'll see.

Through all of this Howie was just lurking in the weeds and collecting job titles. Somehow this guy always finds a way to stick around no matter what. Even if they get a new GM somehow Howie will still be in charge. 

Archived