Stranger Things

opengeo

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

There is definitely too many characters because I have no idea who Suzie is, unless that's Lucas sister. 

Dustin's girlfriend :lol: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

There is definitely too many characters because I have no idea who Suzie is, unless that's Lucas sister. 

No she's the teen hacker who wasted time singing The Neverending Story while people were dying.  Lucas's sister is also a useless character.  It was enough last season to have one of the existing kids in the crew do whatever it is they needed her to do, just have Dustin be the hacker (he does that in this season anyway), and the Hellfire club existing was enough they didn't need unnecessary story to find a replacement for Lucas and bring her in to...justify having her as a character.  Simply having Lucas on the team and no longer in Hellfire would have been enough to create that drama.  Just another example of adding too much fat and grizzle to the story instead of focusing on the steak.

• Like 2

Finished part one last night and was excited to come here and read what everyone was saying about that awesome first 7 episodes. Man you guys are hard to please :lol:

1 hour ago, BFit said:

Finished part one last night and was excited to come here and read what everyone was saying about that awesome first 7 episodes. Man you guys are hard to please :lol:

You should read the Star Wars thread, if you haven't already. This is tame 🤣

2 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

You should read the Star Wars thread, if you haven't already. This is tame 🤣

i havent. ive seen the first ep of obi wan. too much sheet came out at the same time, im still trying to catch up

1 hour ago, BFit said:

i havent. ive seen the first ep of obi wan. too much sheet came out at the same time, im still trying to catch up

I spent the last week catching up on all S4 stranger things, all Obi Wan, on like 3 or 4 Barry episodes I was behind on, watching the S2 finale of The Boys as a refresher, and I have watched part of E1 of the new season... maybe i finished S3 Ep1 and just started Ep2? 

Agree that a ton of stuff is all happening at once. 

15 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I spent the last week catching up on all S4 stranger things, all Obi Wan, on like 3 or 4 Barry episodes I was behind on, watching the S2 finale of The Boys as a refresher, and I have watched part of E1 of the new season... maybe i finished S3 Ep1 and just started Ep2? 

Agree that a ton of stuff is all happening at once. 

damnit i forgot about barry! i gotta get caught up quick before umbrella academy starts up

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BFit said:

I have some FB friends who posted how much they liked this season.  I don't get it.  I thought it was the worst season. 

Fun detail:

It's in the top 10 billboard pretty much everywhere. Even reached #1 on global Spotify I believe. 

I know that song from the Placebo version - didn't even realize it was a cover until watching this season

About the only complaint I have about Season 4 Volume 1 was that I had to stay up too late to finish the lengthy episodes. Now if find out that the finale of Volume 2 will be 2 hours and 30 minutes. Good thing it comes out over a holiday.

I didn't realize a trailer for part 2 came out a couple weeks ago.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, NOTW said:

This entire season kept different groups of the characters separated.  Usually when shows do that they join up at some point, which I imagine will happen in the 2 final episodes in July.  Poor choice to split the season this way IMO.  Should have done all episodes at once, trimmed the fat and focused on a tighter story line and fewer characters.

I assume Netflix required the split (IDK why they even mass release things anymore, people binge in 2-3 days then are done with it and onto the next thing, at least a split ensures people are coming back a month later), but ST/Duffer Brothers couldn't justify it at an appropriate enough cliff hanger earlier in the season. After cutting it all together, the Vecna/001 reveal was the best way to leave people wanting more, it unfortunately occurred 75% through the season and not 50. Typing this out like that now makes me even more worried about possible filler in these final two episodes, to justify the "second half" and not just finishing it all up at once. Ugh. 

On 6/7/2022 at 4:13 PM, NOTW said:

No she's the teen hacker who wasted time singing The Neverending Story while people were dying.  Lucas's sister is also a useless character.  It was enough last season to have one of the existing kids in the crew do whatever it is they needed her to do, just have Dustin be the hacker (he does that in this season anyway), and the Hellfire club existing was enough they didn't need unnecessary story to find a replacement for Lucas and bring her in to...justify having her as a character.  Simply having Lucas on the team and no longer in Hellfire would have been enough to create that drama.  Just another example of adding too much fat and grizzle to the story instead of focusing on the steak.

Not to be too direct or for lack of a better word, conservative - but you know why they are forcing two female characters on us right? One who is black at that. This is Netflix we're talking about here.

4 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

I assume Netflix required the split (IDK why they even mass release things anymore, people binge in 2-3 days then are done with it and onto the next thing, at least a split ensures people are coming back a month later), but ST/Duffer Brothers couldn't justify it at an appropriate enough cliff hanger earlier in the season. After cutting it all together, the Vecna/001 reveal was the best way to leave people wanting more, it unfortunately occurred 75% through the season and not 50. Typing this out like that now makes me even more worried about possible filler in these final two episodes, to justify the "second half" and not just finishing it all up at once. Ugh. 

Not to be too direct or for lack of a better word, conservative - but you know why they are forcing two female characters on us right? One who is black at that. This is Netflix we're talking about here.

I think diversity is great.  I'm not sure how diverse a place like Hawkins, Indiana was in 1986 but diversity is fine.  I just think there are too many characters.  Jonathan is pointless and he looks like a 40 year old.  The surfer dude was pointless, they figured moving to CA they'd meet a stereotypical Californian and...audiences will like that? 

Lucas is black, Robin is a lesbian, Max is a girl that already joined the group and they already had Eleven and Nancy since season 1.  They don't "need" to add a female in that regard.  

Dustin could have handled the hacking bit, they didn't need the D&D club to not have a person (I've never played, I wasn't aware you had to have a minimum number I've seen other shows or movies where there are less people playing it).  They could have just played the D&D game without filler of them trying to find a replacement.  In fact, they made a big deal of Lucas choosing the basketball game over Hellfire...then I don't recall them resolving that conflict.  Lucas joins the basketball bullies, his Hellfire friends never congratulate him on his performance in the game and winning a championship, he has second thoughts about the basketball lynch mob then rejoins his old friends.  They built all that up and then didn't really write resolution it just kind of happened.  Friends growing older and joining different cliques at school is actually relatable to viewers and could have been better than some of the filler they gave us.

To your point about splitting seasons you're right, when streaming first started taking over entire seasons were dumped.  Disney started the trend of weekly releases to keep people engaged.  People used to sign up for a service like HBO to watch GOT or a show or 2, then cancel.  So Disney realized keep the subscribers by spreading out releasing new content.  Netflix has started doing that with some shows now.  Ozark did it for example.  Even Breaking Bad and Mad Men did it when they aired on AMC, splitting final seasons in 2.  

I think an aspect that streaming has helped change forever is the number of episodes and length of episodes.  They no longer have to order a certain number of episodes or stick to 30 or 60 minute time slots and accommodate commercial space.  So they can map out a story and decide what is the best way to tell a great story.  How many episodes, what is the right amount of run time for a certain episode to cut off and lead into the next.  It can be completely flexible.  There's absolutely no reason for filler that has no purpose or doesn't go anywhere.

• Like 3

I'll just say I'm happy people are finally dying. For how many different accidents and monsters Hawkins has gone through, the death rate was incredibly low. 

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'll just say I'm happy people are finally dying. For how many different accidents and monsters Hawkins has gone through, the death rate was incredibly low. 

I don't get why the cops and townspeople think a D&D cult leader is responsible for all this and the entire town gets their pitchforks to go out and get a teenager...haven't they seen monsters and creatures multiple times at this point?  

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

I don't get why the cops and townspeople think a D&D cult leader is responsible for all this and the entire town gets their pitchforks to go out and get a teenager...haven't they seen monsters and creatures multiple times at this point?  

From what I remember, no one alive that is a resident outside the main cast has seen anything. The secret government agency covered up StarCourt mall by saying there was a fire and anyone killed by the Mind Flayer died from the fire. I don’t really remember how they explained Bobs death. Barb was always a mystery. 

Was that the black smoke from Lost on that trailer?  I knew it went somewhere in the 80s........

11 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

From what I remember, no one alive that is a resident outside the main cast has seen anything. The secret government agency covered up StarCourt mall by saying there was a fire and anyone killed by the Mind Flayer died from the fire. I don’t really remember how they explained Bobs death. Barb was always a mystery. 

I didn't care for season 3 that much either with the hive mind thing, but didn't it take over like half the town Invasion of the Body Snatchers style?  Anyway, a lot of people die by strange circumstances you would think there'd be at least rumors...that would be plausible in a town hall meeting rather than everyone just accepting this is all 1 teenager in a D&D club.  

18 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I didn't care for season 3 that much either with the hive mind thing, but didn't it take over like half the town Invasion of the Body Snatchers style?  Anyway, a lot of people die by strange circumstances you would think there'd be at least rumors...that would be plausible in a town hall meeting rather than everyone just accepting this is all 1 teenager in a D&D club.  

Yea, that's pretty dumb. Especially after Jason or whatever his name was just saw his friend get lifted in the air and body break in pieces. 

Also wasn't the point of Season 3 that the kids are growing up, dating etc and didn't want to play D&D anymore with Will? And now the ones left in Hawkins are all in a club to, um, play D&D?

• Like 1

Totally random, but apparently Kate Bush is Big Boi from Outkast's favorite artist and Running Up That Hill is his favorite song of all time and he's been talking about it for years 🤣