Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 minute ago, Thrive said:

You are really gonna spend an off-season on this schtick? Your team has a young ascending QB on the cheap with cap space and draft picks, primed to start seriously contending as early as next year and yet folks like you will spend the off-season miserable and depressed about the status of this team.

Only to realize in November 2022 what they could have realized in November 2021: the good times have arrived again in Philly and we can relax and enjoy the ride.

He is not an ascending QB.  He has a very low ceiling as a passer.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Thrive said:

You are really gonna spend an off-season on this schtick? Your team has a young ascending QB on the cheap with cap space and draft picks, primed to start seriously contending as early as next year and yet folks like you will spend the off-season miserable and depressed about the status of this team.

Only to realize in November 2022 what they could have realized in November 2021: the good times have arrived again in Philly and we can relax and enjoy the ride.

I see it different. You seen the beginning of an ascending coach who covered his very limited QB. I think we see it again one more year as we build the talent for the next guy. That's not exciting to many fans.  Watching these playoffs and realizing how far down the chain we really are isn't very exciting either. We were the charity case 7th seed who's QB got carried into the playoffs and easily the worst QB in there. Any QB in the playoffs would of made this team much better than we were this season, and I mean any. 

1 hour ago, Thrive said:

No schtick. I think Hurts is a backup that's been given a starting position instead of earning it for some strange reason. Minshew is cheaper and a better passer than Hurts. Hurts can run. So what? The QB isn't supposed to have more rushing yards than the RB

Contending next year? How? We have to many holes just on defense. Plus the Oline needs youth and once Howie can admit that JJAW and Reagor are busts we need to get better depth at WR

Seems like squeaking into the playoffs during an extended wildcard seed while facing bad teams in a weak 2nd half schedule and playing in a bad division has you believing we're close

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

He is not an ascending QB.  He has a very low ceiling as a passer.

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

I see it different. You seen the beginning of an ascending coach who covered his very limited QB. I think we see it again one more year as we build the talent for the next guy. That's not exciting to many fans.  Watching these playoffs and realizing how far down the chain we really are isn't very exciting either. We were the charity case 7th seed who's QB got carried into the playoffs and easily the worst QB in there. Any QB in the playoffs would of made this team much better than we were this season, and I mean any. 

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

No schtick. I think Hurts is a backup that's been given a starting position instead of earning it for some strange reason. Minshew is cheaper and a better passer than Hurts. Hurts can run. So what? The QB isn't supposed to have more rushing yards than the RB

Contending next year? How? We have to many holes just on defense. Plus the Oline needs youth and once Howie can admit that JJAW and Reagor are busts we need to get better depth at WR

Seems like squeaking into the playoffs during an extended wildcard seed while facing bad teams in a weak 2nd half schedule and playing in a bad division has you believing we're close

I’m clearly not going to convince you guys and I’m not trying. All I’m saying is that try to enjoy this off-season and don’t waste it expecting the worst. 2022 will be a fun year so long as folks are healthy.   

You’ll see by November.

5 minutes ago, Thrive said:

I’m clearly not going to convince you guys and I’m not trying. All I’m saying is that try to enjoy this off-season and don’t waste it expecting the worst. 2022 will be a fun year so long as folks are healthy.   

You’ll see by November.

I'm seriously asking what have you seen that makes you think Hurts can be the future besides he's young?

Also what do you see that makes us a contender next year?

I'm excited to see Smith with a better QB. If that doesn't happen then I'm still excited to see him improve. I want to see Slay keep playing like an all pro. I'm excited to see Goedert show us what he can do. I'm excited to see Mailata becoming the future at LT

52 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm seriously asking what have you seen that makes you think Hurts can be the future besides he's young?

Also what do you see that makes us a contender next year?

I'm excited to see Smith with a better QB. If that doesn't happen then I'm still excited to see him improve. I want to see Slay keep playing like an all pro. I'm excited to see Goedert show us what he can do. I'm excited to see Mailata becoming the future at LT

Hurts is basically a rookie, and we saw what Josh Allen did in year 3, they are like twins.

1453262748_63937d8361_o.gif

[IMG]

End of the Road for Brady, Beginning of a Journey for Jalen.   Jalen's 1st playoff game and loss is Brady's final Win of his entire Career.  Crazy.   

1 hour ago, KINGnabb said:

[IMG]

End of the Road for Brady, Beginning of a Journey for Jalen.   Jalen's 1st playoff game and loss is Brady's final Win of his entire Career.  Crazy.   

And yet Tom Brady's final career start may have come after Jalen Hurts' last game as a starter.

44 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

And yet Tom Brady's final career start may have come after Jalen Hurts' last game as a starter.

I wouldn't say as a starter, but as a full time guy after watching these playoffs....

On 1/28/2022 at 4:08 PM, QBhunter58 said:

Quez and Ward are both guys who have become serviceable NFL players due to intangibles. 

I can't believe you referred to Watkins as serviceable, look at his college highlights, this is exactly what we've seen from him in the NFL due to his "intangible" 4.31 speed.  All the Eagles need to do is just throw him the damn ball and watch the explosiveness.   

As far as Ward is concerned, I know this is not going to be popular but based on what I saw from Smith last year, it's six in one hand and a half dozen in the other between Ward and Smith.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, Vileborg said:

It's ok, I dreamed we gave Hurts a 7 year 289mil deal.

That’s a nightmare 

I think these playoffs have proved you need elite throwing skills to win the SB. Maybe not 100% guarantee a win, but boy it suuure makes things a lot eaiser.

5 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I think these playoffs have proved you need elite throwing skills to win the SB. Maybe not 100% guarantee a win, but boy it suuure makes things a lot eaiser.

They haven’t proved that at all. 

Stafford knocked off Brady despite the fact that Brady is better. Garrapolo knocked off Rodgers. Etc.

Does an elite QB make a difference? Absolutely, but you need the team around him. Bucs won last year because they had a Super Bowl ready team and Brady took them over the top. Looks like Stafford will do that for the Rams this year.

The Eagles need to invest the salary cap they have and those high draft picks on the team and especially the D. It’s not a good year to trade up for a QB in the draft

18 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

They haven’t proved that at all. 

Stafford knocked off Brady despite the fact that Brady is better. Garrapolo knocked off Rodgers. Etc.

Does an elite QB make a difference? Absolutely, but you need the team around him. Bucs won last year because they had a Super Bowl ready team and Brady took them over the top. Looks like Stafford will do that for the Rams this year.

The Eagles need to invest the salary cap they have and those high draft picks on the team and especially the D. It’s not a good year to trade up for a QB in the draft

Teams knock off teams.  The Rams knocked off the Bucs.  49ers knocked off the Packers.

The Eagles have a lot of holes, but when the opportunity comes to get the QB you seek to be the answer... you grab them, you don't set some artificial list of things to have in place before that.  BUT... as soon as you get one, you need to build around them and give them pieces to play with.   The idea that you build the team, and then add the QB just doesn't work.  Because there's no guarantee that you get the opportunity to get the QB later, and then you are flailing about like the Vikings going with the Kirk Cousins of the NFL, etc.

50 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Teams knock off teams.  The Rams knocked off the Bucs.  49ers knocked off the Packers.

The Eagles have a lot of holes, but when the opportunity comes to get the QB you seek to be the answer... you grab them, you don't set some artificial list of things to have in place before that.  BUT... as soon as you get one, you need to build around them and give them pieces to play with.   The idea that you build the team, and then add the QB just doesn't work.  Because there's no guarantee that you get the opportunity to get the QB later, and then you are flailing about like the Vikings going with the Kirk Cousins of the NFL, etc.

Yeah look I agree and the Eagles should and are doing their homework on the Quartebacks in this draft.

But I also think the Eagles want to see another year from Hurts and see how he grows, so they aren’t going to force a pick. 

They will I think stock up on picks for 2023, when they will have a better idea of what Hurts’ ceiling is. Should be a strong draft for QBs next year.

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah look I agree and the Eagles should and are doing their homework on the Quartebacks in this draft.

But I also think the Eagles want to see another year from Hurts and see how he grows, so they aren’t going to force a pick. 

They will I think stock up on picks for 2023, when they will have a better idea of what Hurts’ ceiling is. Should be a strong draft for QBs next year.

I hope they won't force a pick, but I also hope they aren't really counting on Hurts to magically become something he's not.  He's not a guy who is ever going to have an arm like the rest of these starting QBs.  He's got a backup NFL arm.  It can win games, if it's not asked to do much.  

Stocking picks for 2023 is a tall order if there aren't targets available where the Eagles are picking that are worthy of a significant amount in a trade up.  So, while that's the goal, I don't know how achievable that is.

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I hope they won't force a pick, but I also hope they aren't really counting on Hurts to magically become something he's not.  He's not a guy who is ever going to have an arm like the rest of these starting QBs.  He's got a backup NFL arm.  It can win games, if it's not asked to do much.  

Stocking picks for 2023 is a tall order if there aren't targets available where the Eagles are picking that are worthy of a significant amount in a trade up.  So, while that's the goal, I don't know how achievable that is.

The arm won't magically improve, but the question is can he improve his reads and decision making to the point that his athleticism makes him a potential top 10 QB. 

Yeah you're right on 2023 picks. Hopefully a team below falls in love with a QB and wants to jump ahead of the Saints/Steelers. Or maybe Green Bay will be desperate for one of the top receivers (whether or not Adams leaves)

38 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The arm won't magically improve, but the question is can he improve his reads and decision making to the point that his athleticism makes him a potential top 10 QB. 

Yeah you're right on 2023 picks. Hopefully a team below falls in love with a QB and wants to jump ahead of the Saints/Steelers. Or maybe Green Bay will be desperate for one of the top receivers (whether or not Adams leaves)

I hate when people say top ten like it's easily achievable

Burrow, Herbert, Murray, Jackson, Allen, Prescott, Mahomes, Watson are all crazy young and accomplished

Wilson, Carr, Rodgers, Tannehill, Cousins, Jimmy G, M. Jones aren't going anywhere

Lance, Lawrence, Fields  are crazy talented, just untested atm.  Like top ten in this era is potential HoF in any other era. 

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

Wilson, Carr, Rodgers, Tannehill, Cousins, Jimmy G, M. Jones aren't going anywhere

Oh, I think Jimmy G is going somewhere after last night's performance. 

26 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Oh, I think Jimmy G is going somewhere after last night's performance. 

Will still start and remain competitive in this league 

Sad to see Brady retire but man did he eat us up his whole career. We had two wins against him. Some meaningless game in 2015 in which we scored two defensive TDs and a return TD to barely beat him and, of course, lightning in a bottle, LII.

7 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Sad to see Brady retire but man did he eat us up his whole career. We had two wins against him. Some meaningless game in 2015 in which we scored two defensive TDs and a return TD to barely beat him and, of course, lightning in a bottle, LII.

And yet we will go down in history as the last team to beat Brady in a SB game. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And yet we will go down in history as the last team to beat Brady in a SB game. 

Yeah we really showed him.... 🙄

8 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah we really showed him.... 🙄

If not for the NFCE he would have 10 rings, so there's that.

I've been in the start Jalen next season camp for so long but as time goes by I wouldn't be upset if Howie uses a first round on a QB if someone drops. Love Jalen and he is a good playmaker, but just isn't a good QB right now. If a miracle happens and he can be great at reading defenses and making great throws I'll eat all the crow. Just don't see it at all.

Archived