Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

22 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Hurts wouldn't have been the leading rusher last year if Sanders could stay healthy. But, unlike you, I expect Hurts to continue to improve in areas and fully expect the team to pass for more yards than last year. 

Having the team pass for more yards than last year doesn't necessarily equate to what you had laid out.  

Reagor's production was WAY below Brown's production level.  Giving ALL of Reagor's production to Brown still leaves a significant shortfall.  Reagor produced 299 yards.  Brown, even missing 4 games put up 869 yards.  That means a shortfall of 570 yards for Brown, not even considering his career average is just a tick under 1000 yards (Been a 1000 yard receiver every year except last year due to the injury).   And on top of that shortfall of nearly 600 yards, you also expect that Goedert's numbers AND Smith's will both also go up?  Goedert I could concede, as he'll get Ertz' production from the beginning of last year, but that was pretty low anyway... only 200 yards in 6 games, which pretty closely matched Goedert's production over that portion of the year as well.  

But, let's say that Smith and Goedert only match last year's numbers, that still leaves a 600 yard drop for Brown.  Can Hurts pass for that?   Sure... but only if he's not running so much.  The issue isn't that Hurts was the leading rusher... that's just a sad by-product.  He ran for nearly 800 yards.  He ran 139 times.  He passed 432 times.  That means he ran 1/3 of the amount of times he threw the ball.  That's ridiculous for an NFL QB.  Is there another NFL QB with that high a ratio?  Only Jackson that I can see.  And Jackson is a better passer than Hurts.  Josh Allen is closer to 1/5.  Same with Kyler Murray.  

So, the point is... Hurts needs to THROW the ball, not RUN the ball.  We'll see how much that changes this year.  It needs to, but we'll see how much it does.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

The 2017 was not mediocre at qb, sorry

You mean great QB play can elevate a good team to great?!

9 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Not the case at all. We have all had players we liked and defended in spite of their on field performance. Difference for me now is understanding that I can't **** at Howie for drafting overachievers and fantasizing how it will all work out when he really is just playing to what his fan base is in love with. Howie is even learning you want a better product, buy from the better stores. 

63.7%  3035 yards 20 tds 6ints  pro bowl

61.7% 3023 yards 17 TDS 6 ints 

62.6% 2799 yards 14tds 4ints

This happened to the Bills not too long ago. A guy with a similar skill set and lovability as Hurts was given the keys and ended up a pro bowler. Fans excited couldn't wait for year two. Team couldn't wait for next season because they got their leader! They got their guy! Next year he regressors a little bit, but his legs keep collecting numbers so they feel okay about it but some fan base starts to question what happens if he regresses again....then the last year as the starter he regresses a little further yet again despite having his first winning record...the team decided to move on. The reality is the legs made him miss games and the league began breaking down films and the experiment was over.  As a fan of the sport before I am of any team, I could recognize this pattern and I'm like oh ish

If the guy's name wasn't Jalen Hurts, then his story isn't about Jalen Hurts. The Bills have a more recent story about a beloved young QB that loves to run, but that guy's name isn't Jalen Hurts either. You can cherry pick whichever story you want to rationalize your pessimism, but that's all you are doing since we don't know how the Jalen Hurts story ends. We don't even know the next chapter.

24 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

If the guy's name wasn't Jalen Hurts, then his story isn't about Jalen Hurts. The Bills have a more recent story about a beloved young QB that loves to run, but that guy's name isn't Jalen Hurts either. You can cherry pick whichever story you want to rationalize your pessimism, but that's all you are doing since we don't know how the Jalen Hurts story ends. We don't even know the next chapter.

All I know is for a fan base that hates how Dallas does anything, and like to say Dak is extremely overrated are really really excited to mimick Dallas by elevating the talent around the QB instead of that QB elevating everyone around him. Pretty sure damn near any QB that could throw consistently would murder it with this team....oddly enough, we don't have that consistent QB. Maybe he learns anticipation, maybe he learns proper throwing techniques to drive the ball, maybe he learns to get to his third read before he runs, maybe he throws to more than 2 guys consistently in a game...maybe I'm wrong about him, and maybe there are too many maybes for a project QB that everyone considered a reach in the first place to become more than replaceable. Glad he's cheap, but scared we get Dak'd 

10 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Having the team pass for more yards than last year doesn't necessarily equate to what you had laid out.  

Reagor's production was WAY below Brown's production level.  Giving ALL of Reagor's production to Brown still leaves a significant shortfall.  Reagor produced 299 yards.  Brown, even missing 4 games put up 869 yards.  That means a shortfall of 570 yards for Brown, not even considering his career average is just a tick under 1000 yards (Been a 1000 yard receiver every year except last year due to the injury).   And on top of that shortfall of nearly 600 yards, you also expect that Goedert's numbers AND Smith's will both also go up?  Goedert I could concede, as he'll get Ertz' production from the beginning of last year, but that was pretty low anyway... only 200 yards in 6 games, which pretty closely matched Goedert's production over that portion of the year as well.  

But, let's say that Smith and Goedert only match last year's numbers, that still leaves a 600 yard drop for Brown.  Can Hurts pass for that?   Sure... but only if he's not running so much.  The issue isn't that Hurts was the leading rusher... that's just a sad by-product.  He ran for nearly 800 yards.  He ran 139 times.  He passed 432 times.  That means he ran 1/3 of the amount of times he threw the ball.  That's ridiculous for an NFL QB.  Is there another NFL QB with that high a ratio?  Only Jackson that I can see.  And Jackson is a better passer than Hurts.  Josh Allen is closer to 1/5.  Same with Kyler Murray.  

So, the point is... Hurts needs to THROW the ball, not RUN the ball.  We'll see how much that changes this year.  It needs to, but we'll see how much it does.

I think you're being a little too literal. How much production in the passing game was left on the field because of a weak link at WR? If it comes down to the receiver failing to convert a 3rd down, then the offense leaves the field and relies on the defense to get the ball back. If a WR makes clutch plays, it naturally makes the offense more productive. Drives are extended. Scoring opportunities are increased. When a WR establishes himself as a threat in the NFL, then defenses have to account for that player and shift resources to neutralize the threat. If a WR does not do that, defenses can focus on other things. I suspect you know all this already. I'm just not sure why you bothered to go through so much trouble to act like Reagor's 300 yards are all this offense has to give a WR like Brown without taking production away from Smith, Goedert, and Watkins. 

I realize that many of you have doubled down on your prognostications about Hurts' future and as a result need to pin everything on him. But he wasn't the only reason this team ran the offense we did last season. We did what this team as a whole did best. We lost Brandon Brooks and Seumalo early last season and had to turn to Dickerson right away to fill in at OG. He was much more effective as a run blocker early on than a pass protector. Add Mailata and Herbig  as well out there still learning, but also being dominant run blockers. We already know about Hurts, his running, his passing, and what he was better at last year. Then there was the group of receivers. Smith and Watkins played well, but Reagor and JJAW did not add much to the passing game. When you add it all up, it made sense for Sirianni to cater to the team's strengths. That was always his shtick as a coach. This year we should be much improved at WR. Some of us expect an improved, more experienced Jalen Hurts at QB. This isn't going to be last year's offense. 

10 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

The 2017 was not mediocre at qb, sorry

I guess it depends on perspective. I contend that 2017 was a cumulative effort that maybe we were prematurely attributing to Wentz and then later to Foles. The only real difference in 2018 was the absence of Torrey Smith and a glaring lack of a deep threat which persisted into 2019 and much of 2020. While it may just be my opinion, that single loss to the product as a whole had a profound impact and derailed the entire organization. 

15 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I guess it depends on perspective. I contend that 2017 was a cumulative effort that maybe we were prematurely attributing to Wentz and then later to Foles. The only real difference in 2018 was the absence of Torrey Smith and a glaring lack of a deep threat which persisted into 2019 and much of 2020. While it may just be my opinion, that single loss to the product as a whole had a profound impact and derailed the entire organization. 

2018 and 2019 the team was literally the walking dead back to back seasons due to injury 

8 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

2018 and 2019 the team was literally the walking dead back to back seasons due to injury 

We had a lot of injuries in 2017 as well

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I think you're being a little too literal. How much production in the passing game was left on the field because of a weak link at WR? If it comes down to the receiver failing to convert a 3rd down, then the offense leaves the field and relies on the defense to get the ball back. If a WR makes clutch plays, it naturally makes the offense more productive. Drives are extended. Scoring opportunities are increased. When a WR establishes himself as a threat in the NFL, then defenses have to account for that player and shift resources to neutralize the threat. If a WR does not do that, defenses can focus on other things. I suspect you know all this already. I'm just not sure why you bothered to go through so much trouble to act like Reagor's 300 yards are all this offense has to give a WR like Brown without taking production away from Smith, Goedert, and Watkins. 

I realize that many of you have doubled down on your prognostications about Hurts' future and as a result need to pin everything on him. But he wasn't the only reason this team ran the offense we did last season. We did what this team as a whole did best. We lost Brandon Brooks and Seumalo early last season and had to turn to Dickerson right away to fill in at OG. He was much more effective as a run blocker early on than a pass protector. Add Mailata and Herbig  as well out there still learning, but also being dominant run blockers. We already know about Hurts, his running, his passing, and what he was better at last year. Then there was the group of receivers. Smith and Watkins played well, but Reagor and JJAW did not add much to the passing game. When you add it all up, it made sense for Sirianni to cater to the team's strengths. That was always his shtick as a coach. This year we should be much improved at WR. Some of us expect an improved, more experienced Jalen Hurts at QB. This isn't going to be last year's offense. 

Yeah all of this. Mailata is incredible, but you could see him struggling at times to read stunts and blitzes. 

I don’t know why people are expecting exactly the same offense as last year. AJ Brown will mean that the Eagles will run less and Hurts will scramble less.

With us adding Bradberry (1yr/$10mil) I think the biggest question is now Hurts alone.

2 hours ago, Vileborg said:

With us adding Bradberry (1yr/$10mil) I think the biggest question is now Hurts alone.

Likely.  It will be a shame if we miss out on something good because of him.  No pressure.

2 hours ago, Vileborg said:

The three biggest questions to me are Hurts, Gannon, and Sirianni. All three made some big mistakes in their first seasons at their new positions. At this point neither of them have any excuses save one. We have seen this before when the Eagles seemed to "win the off-season” and that was the "dream team” era. Hopefully this all can mesh in a little bit of time and we all already know how little Sirianni likes to practice. Loving all the moves, but he better make this all work. 

On 5/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, brkmsn said:

Given that most will fail, why would would any rationale person expect him to succeed?

29 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Given that most will fail, why would would any rationale person expect him to succeed?

I'm not sure what you are defining as "most." But as my post says, I don't care about guys named EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor or Tim Tebow. I care only about Jalen Hurts right now. 

I'm not a huge fan of Eliot Shorr Parks. Most of his takes are just outlandish, imo. However, he said Jalen Hurts needs to win a playoff game this year. At face value, there are a lot of variables to that statement but I think what he was trying to say is that he needs to prove he can win the big games. He was benched at Alabama in the championship game and he all but disappeared for us in the playoffs so he needs to prove he can win those games. There are a lot of players that are good but just not clutch.

Dak is a perfect example. He's good during the season but disappears in the playoffs. So far, he's been fools gold.

5 hours ago, Vileborg said:

I'm not a huge fan of Eliot Shorr Parks. Most of his takes are just outlandish, imo. However, he said Jalen Hurts needs to win a playoff game this year. At face value, there are a lot of variables to that statement but I think what he was trying to say is that he needs to prove he can win the big games. He was benched at Alabama in the championship game and he all but disappeared for us in the playoffs so he needs to prove he can win those games. There are a lot of players that are good but just not clutch.

Dak is a perfect example. He's good during the season but disappears in the playoffs. So far, he's been fools gold.

Even if Hurts wins a playoff game his doubters won’t be satisfied. Hurts could take this team to the Super Bowl and they would turn on him faster than they turned on McNabb. 

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Even if Hurts wins a playoff game his doubters won’t be satisfied. Hurts could take this team to the Super Bowl and they would turn on him faster than they turned on McNabb. 

These are things you won't have to worry about.

44 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Actually take us and not get carried?

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That sb appearance did wonders for Jared Goff 

5 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

That sb appearance did wonders for Jared Goff 

So did that lack of talent and lack of coaching. 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Actually take us and not get carried?

Wish someone carried Wentz to a Super Bowl after Foles won one. 

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

These are things you won't have to worry about.

Yeah and I’m sure you will be first in line to trash him if he loses any playoff game. As if you god ever won one. 🙄

On 5/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, Vileborg said:

On 5/18/2022 at 6:03 PM, EazyEaglez said:

The three biggest questions to me are Hurts, Gannon, and Sirianni. All three made some big mistakes in their first seasons at their new positions. At this point neither of them have any excuses save one. We have seen this before when the Eagles seemed to "win the off-season” and that was the "dream team” era. Hopefully this all can mesh in a little bit of time and we all already know how little Sirianni likes to practice. Loving all the moves, but he better make this all work. 

Obviously Hurts’s performance will be key to how the Eagles perform next year, but to say he alone is the question is nonesensical:

1) Gannon. A lot of people claim that Hurts couldn’t beat good teams. But it wasn’t just him. Against any borderline top 10 QB, Gannon was giving up a close to 80% completion percentage and letting them march down the field at will. Can he change this with the new talent?

2) Safety is incredibly weak still 

3) Siriani had a promising first season, but he needs to show he can adapt his offense to a balanced offense incorporating Brown and handle big games. He is far from proven.

Archived