Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So did that lack of talent and lack of coaching. 🤷‍♂️

Hurts has talent?

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an argument to be made that no modern Eagles QB has been put in a better to position to succeed than Hurts has this year

Best O-Line in the game.

Best running game in the NFL.

2 stud WOs with a darn good #3 in Watkins

A stud TE

A much improved Defense.

Heck, if we had given this kind of roster to McNabb in his prime, we'd be a f****** dynasty.

8 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts has talent?

Sean McVay can't coach.  But took a guy (supposedly) without talent to the SB one year, and then a couple years later won the Super Bowl with a different QB.  :blink: 

4 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

There is an argument to be made that no modern Eagles QB has been put in a better to position to succeed than Hurts has this year

Best O-Line in the game.

A stud TE

A much improved Defense.

Heck, if we had given this kind of roster to McNabb in his prime, we'd be a f****** dynasty.

McNabb had a better roster in his prime. He just decided to play chicken with his superstar WR.

16 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

We had a roster that was built to dominate on the ground, but chose to pass 70% of the time. 

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Best O-Line in the game.

A stud TE

A much improved Defense.

I think you could make arguments for the two modern Super Bowl appearance teams and you never quite know how a team will perform before the season.

But generally I agree. Hurts has been given an incredible opportunity. He needs to seize it.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts has talent?

Has as many playoff appearances as the guy you beanbaggers worshipped for so long so. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Obviously Hurts’s performance will be key to how the Eagles perform next year, but to say he alone is the question is nonesensical:

1) Gannon. A lot of people claim that Hurts couldn’t beat good teams. But it wasn’t just him. Against any borderline top 10 QB, Gannon was giving up a close to 80% completion percentage and letting them march down the field at will. Can he change this with the new talent?

2) Safety is incredibly weak still 

3) Siriani had a promising first season, but he needs to show he can adapt his offense to a balanced offense incorporating Brown and handle big games. He is far from proven.

The "Hurts alone’ dopes are going to continue to be that way. It’s very obvious this team had a lot of questions going into this season from rosters to coaching. How quickly people forget how bad this team started and how people wanted Sirianni fired. This team still has a lot of questions. Will this thing come together in time? Has the coach made enough adjustments? Finally I could list dozens of mediocre quarterbacks who have won Super Bowls here so to say this is just a Hurts thing is just from the minds of buffoons. How many SBs does Aaron Rodgers have? Considering he’s supposed to be the best one going he sure doesn’t win them a whole lot. You can have the best quarterback in football, but if your team lacks in other areas ( like average to good quarterbacks completing 80% of their passes against the defense) that team is going nowhere. You would think the same people who realized that the Eagles won the super bowl not because of Wentz, but rather cause they had a great football team would realize this. I guess they’re just blinded by their own prejudices and hate. 

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Has as many playoff appearances as the guy you beanbaggers worshipped for so long so. 🤷‍♂️

let-it-go-frozen.gif

54 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think you could make arguments for the two modern Super Bowl appearance teams and you never quite know how a team will perform before the season.

But generally I agree. Hurts has been given an incredible opportunity. He needs to seize it.

Comparing the roster to 2017, I'd say in some ways it's better, but not in others.

O-Line and Running game is a wash, both best in the league.

I would argue wholeheartedly that our current WR and TE core is better than Alshon, Torrey, Nelly, and Ertz etc.

The Defense was better in 2017, except at CB and LB.

The difference in 2017 was obviously having a MVP candidate QB in the regular season and a Superbowl MVP QB in the playoffs.

Also Doug and Co > Siri and Co.

Granted this is all a comparison on paper, but that's all you can do in May, we'll see when rubber meets the road.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

let-it-go-frozen.gif

I know it eats you baggers up, but the fact is that it’s relevant. Here people are making grand ASSumptions off one season, but you all made excuses for six years for that dude. Perhaps they should learn to use the same patience you had with the other guy. 

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I know it eats you baggers up, but the fact is that it’s relevant. Here people are making grand ASSumptions off one season, but you all made excuses for six years for that dude. Perhaps they should learn to use the same patience you had with the other guy. 

It isn't relevant and they aren't comparable situations. Just let it go. No one else brings it up except you.

47 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nope I torched that guy too. Look, Hurts was improving his mechanics last year. You could see it as the season went on that he was keeping his base under him more and stepping into the throws. As long as he worked on that in the off-season we should be good. He'll still need to develop but that should make a huge difference.

Next, he's got to get it done when it matters most. The Bucs loss was embarrassing. They basically said you don't belong in the playoffs and we did nothing to refute that. Finally, he's got to prove that he can be clutch. There are very few QBs who win a super bowl and aren't clutch.

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Comparing the roster to 2017, I'd say in some ways it's better, but not in others.

O-Line and Running game is a wash, both best in the league.

I would argue wholeheartedly that our current WR and TE core is better than Alshon, Torrey, Nelly, and Ertz etc.

The Defense was better in 2017, except at CB and LB.

The difference in 2017 was obviously having a MVP candidate QB in the regular season and a Superbowl MVP QB in the playoffs.

Also Doug and Co > Siri and Co.

Granted this is all a comparison on paper, but that's all you can do in May, we'll see when rubber meets the road.

Mostly agree, but a couple of things I would pick up on. The linebacker crew in 2017 wasn’t bad at all. Hicks (before he got hurt), Bradham and Kendricks were all solid linebackers. The 2022 crew have more talent, but Dean is an unproven rookie and White is still relatively unproven.

Wentz and Foles were both great in 2017, but both have been mostly pretty mediocre before and after. I expect Hurts to elevate his game given another year in the system and the surrounding and growing talent. It would seem unlikely he can get in the MVP conversation, but not impossible. He is at this stage an unknown for 2022.

Just a heads up after discussing it in the blog, the only teams with a winning record that Jalen Hurts has beaten in his career were quarterbacked by Trevor Simien without Kamara, Thomas and both starting tackles, and Taysom Hill

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

3 hours ago, Devaster said:

It isn't relevant and they aren't comparable situations. Just let it go. No one else brings it up except you.

2 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Nope I torched that guy too. Look, Hurts was improving his mechanics last year. You could see it as the season went on that he was keeping his base under him more and stepping into the throws. As long as he worked on that in the off-season we should be good. He'll still need to develop but that should make a huge difference.

Next, he's got to get it done when it matters most. The Bucs loss was embarrassing. They basically said you don't belong in the playoffs and we did nothing to refute that. Finally, he's got to prove that he can be clutch. There are very few QBs who win a super bowl and aren't clutch.

In Eazy’s defense, the majority of the ringleaders of the Hurts haters were huge Wentz fans/apologists. (Not you Vileborg).

Whether they admit it or not (and they won’t), it’s clear their love of Wentz influences their absolute view on Hurts. Seth Joyner said basically the same after the Bucs game. 

That said - I do agree it’s time to move on from Wentz comparisons/arguments.

Also agree with what you say Vileborg. Hurts needs to step up in those areas.

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Obviously Hurts’s performance will be key to how the Eagles perform next year, but to say he alone is the question is nonesensical:

1) Gannon. A lot of people claim that Hurts couldn’t beat good teams. But it wasn’t just him. Against any borderline top 10 QB, Gannon was giving up a close to 80% completion percentage and letting them march down the field at will. Can he change this with the new talent?

2) Safety is incredibly weak still 

3) Siriani had a promising first season, but he needs to show he can adapt his offense to a balanced offense incorporating Brown and handle big games. He is far from proven.

Gannon is definitely a question mark. We'll see if his defense was just because of a lack of talent or he just sucks

5 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Best O-Line in the game.

A stud TE

A much improved Defense.

That was because the QB was the leading rusher. In an offense that Lurie wants a passing offense I'm betting our run game decreases 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Just a heads up after discussing it in the blog, the only teams with a winning record that Jalen Hurts has beaten in his career were quarterbacked by Trevor Simien without Kamara, Thomas and both starting tackles, and Taysom Hill

Partly on Hurts, partly on Gannon, wouldn’t you agree?

39 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

No. Hurts just doesn‘t have enough interceptions to beat elite QBs.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Gannon definitely is in the same position this year as Hurts. Perform or be replaced. Gannon hasn't gotten much love from this hurts doubter. When people are getting 80% on you any game....your scheme is failing. I get personnel is a driving factor, but when nothing you wanna do is working, try something you aren't the most comfortable with until you find anything

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So 1 playoff appearance = talent?

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

Carolina was 3-1 when we beat them in Carolina. Denver was 5-4 when we beat them in Denver. There was also the start in 2020 vs the 10-3 Saints. Regardless, it's still a team sport. 

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Who is the best qb that Hurts has ever beaten?

Either a washed up Matt Ryan or Jared Goff

On 3/5/2022 at 1:42 PM, eagle45 said:

And no matter what the Eagles want, if Hurts is their QB, they are going nowhere.  And the whining that doesn't impact what the Eagles want will grow...until the Eagles no longer want Hurts.

It's just a question of how many years the Eagles choose to waste in the meantime.  We are at 1.5 and counting.

I wouldn't say "nowhere" - he'll win you games in the regular season, maybe a wild card game in the playoffs.  But I don't see Hurts taking the Eagles to the promised land.

17 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Carolina was 3-1 when we beat them in Carolina. Denver was 5-4 when we beat them in Denver. There was also the start in 2020 vs the 10-3 Saints. Regardless, it's still a team sport. 

It is, but without the right QB, a team can only go so far. 

Archived