Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

And yet Reid had nothing to say differently than anyone else..... " He works are hard"

Must be the hardest working QB in the history of mankind

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe3pLOQWKnsrIkS8pvS7F

Likely could still throw the ball better than Hurts.

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe3pLOQWKnsrIkS8pvS7F

carson is looking good there...

27 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

And yet Reid had nothing to say differently than anyone else..... " He works are hard"

Must be the hardest working QB in the history of mankind

Well, it's something all coaches look for before anything else. You gauge a player's work ethic and then see where that can take him: "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

"The one thing you got there is a guy that's willing to work hard and wants to be great," Reid said on JAKIB Sports' Sports Take Tuesday. That's the foundation -- and with the coaching he's getting that's gonna take place."

My grandmama wants to be great. Big deal.

"He sincerely wants to do well." Most QBs sincerely want to do well. So what?

"He sincerely wants to do well." Because we all know he's not doing well.

"That's the foundation --"  That's really all he has going for him.

"and with the coaching he's getting that's gonna take place."  Hogwash. Pure speculation.

Thanks, Andy, for throwing around such compliments. Pure coach speak.

"Time is yours."

You can think what you want, but the obvious reality is that most people in the business do not share the pessimistic views of the armchair GMs and coaches around here as it pertains to Hurts. They place a lot of stock in the guy's work ethic, and I'll put more stock in what the true experts think than the negative Nancies in here. Whine all you want; it doesn't matter. People in the know have a radically different perspective.

37 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Are the Eagles not getting the calls?

Or, were they committing the penalties?

On one I saw Smith had a handful of jersey...so that one was definitely a blatant penalty.

1 minute ago, CouchKing said:

On one I saw Smith had a handful of jersey...so that one was definitely a blatant penalty.

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

1.RPO that Hurts took way too long to throw. Half the O-line is in the endzone

2. Reagor is bad and has bad awareness 

3. Another RPO that took too long. Part of the blame is on Dillard running down the field toward no one. 

4. JJAW being an idiot 

5. Smith is good but had bad awareness on one play

6. Greg Ward has no idea how to run a pick play

7. Pretty weak call on Smith that didn't affect the play, but there was also Driscoll drifting down the field for no reason on a non RPO play

8. Holding on Herbig, pretty blatantly 

9. Bad hold on Watkins, scored a TD on that drive anyway

He's definitely missing a few. We were called on a lot of pick plays in the red zone. 

8 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Alot of those were our fault. Thats why it's tough for me to get encouraged by that video. Still, having 12 TD's either dropped or called back is absurd and probably demoralizing for a QB. 

4 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Alot of those were our fault. Thats why it's tough for me to get encouraged by that video. Still, having 12 TD's either dropped or called back is absurd and probably demoralizing for a QB. 

The Eagles offense was incredibly young last year. Only two starters - Kelce and Johnson - weren't on rookie deals. They should be much better this season with another year of experience and another year in the same system. Those 56 points that were wiped out by penalty were the difference between the Eagles being the 12th best scoring offense and being the third best.   

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Those 56 points that were wiped out by penalty were the difference between the Eagles being the 12th best scoring offense and being the third best.   

Not when you remove the defensive TD's

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Anyone have account of all the missed touchdowns? If we are going to count every TD he should of had but didn't because of penalty you have to do that for every QB in the league...  

Hurts missed Ertz wide open the play before...... They only remember the called back touchdown though, when he shouldn't have needed that play aways. 

That one sticks in my head the most

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

We had five defensive/special teams TDs. This was above average, but certainly not an outlier. The Cowboys had 9. That's an outlier. We also didn't have any safeties, and forced fewer turnovers than almost every other team, which meant fewer shorter fields for the offense.

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Anyone have account of all the missed touchdowns? If we are going to count every TD he should of had but didn't because of penalty you have to do that for every QB in the league...  

Hurts missed Ertz wide open the play before...... They only remember the called back touchdown though, when he shouldn't have needed that play aways. 

That one sticks in my head the most

The fact that we had an 8-1 ratio of passing to rushing TDs called back by penalty should give you a pretty good idea that we had an absurd number of passing TDs called back.

And if we are going to ding Hurts for missing open receivers, we have to go through every qb's tape to see if they missed open receivers.  

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

1.RPO that Hurts took way too long to throw. Half the O-line is in the endzone

3. Another RPO that took too long. Part of the blame is on Dillard running down the field toward no one. 

LOL @ trying to pin the blame on Hurts. The 1st one was an RPO and there was an unblocked free rusher that Hurts had to navigate away from. The other (#3) had 3 unblocked rushers, he didn't hold it too long and the penalty was unrelated to holding the ball. 

Let's see ... how can I spin this negatively on Hurts? I know, I'll throw RPO out there and people will just blindly believe what I say. 

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

LOL @ trying to pin the blame on Hurts. The 1st one was an RPO and there was an unblocked free rusher that Hurts had to navigate away from. The other (#3) had 3 unblocked rushers, he didn't hold it too long and the penalty was unrelated to holding the ball. 

Let's see ... how can I spin this negatively on Hurts? I know, I'll throw RPO out there and people will just blindly believe what I say. 

lol ok. It's everyone elses fault on a play he needs to get the ball out immediately that he runs around playing backyard football. Right. I'm sure them limiting the RPO's as the season went on had absolutely nothing to do with these penalties and Hurts inability to run the play. 

The penalty is because the linemen are run blocking and too far down the field when the pass is released. But yea. Not Hurts fault at all. Its the linemen for, um, doing their job too well. I even blamed Dillard on #3. It was a combination of holding the ball too long and Dillard not engaging in a block anywhere. If he went to block someone, they likely swallow the flag. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

lol ok. It's everyone elses fault on a play he needs to get the ball out immediately that he runs around playing backyard football. Right. I'm sure them limiting the RPO's as the season went on had absolutely nothing to do with these penalties and Hurts inability to run the play. 

The penalty is because the linemen are run blocking and too far down the field when the pass is released. But yea. Not Hurts fault at all. Its the linemen for, um, doing their job too well. 

And who is responsible for the free rusher that is directly between Hurts and his target? There are plenty of things that Hurts did poorly last season that are worth criticizing or discussing, but making things up to blame him for, reeks of player-hating --- nothing more. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

And who is responsible for the free rusher that is directly between Hurts and his target? There are plenty of things that Hurts did poorly last season that are worth criticizing or discussing, but making things up to blame him for, reeks of player-hating --- nothing more. 

1. Nothing is made up. 

2. It's his fault. It can also be a bad play call or bad blocking assignment, but the penalty is still called because he held the ball too long, and the O-line, who is run blocking and expecting the pass to come out immediately, is too far down the field. It's as simple as that. Guess what. Every player in the NFL gets penalized. It's ok that he got penalized. Just like it's ok that Smith stepped out of bounds. It was one bad play, it doesn't define him as a player.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

1. Nothing is made up. 

2. It's his fault. It can also be a bad play call or bad blocking assignment, but the penalty is still called because he held the ball too long, and the O-line, who is run blocking and expecting the pass to come out immediately, is too far down the field. It's as simple as that. Guess what. Every player in the NFL gets penalized. It's ok that he got penalized. Just like it's ok that Smith stepped out of bounds. It was one bad play, it doesn't define him as a player.

Definitely not his fault on that play. Nobody blocks the guy on the edge and he has a free lane to the QB. The only player left to block the rusher is Gainwell who caught the pass. The other targets were covered and Hurts had to roll right to have a passing lane to Gainwell because of the rusher. Keep doubling down --- we know you just hate Hurts (as the Eagles starting QB). 

The basic problem here is that on RPOs, the offensive line is run blocking for a play that sometimes turns into a pass. So in the process of of run blocking, the linemen get to the second level to spring a running back only to find out the QB kept the ball and is passing it. All of a sudden, they’re illegally downfield on a passing play.

Sometimes the blame can go to the offensive lineman. But more times than not, in general, the blame on these plays goes to the quarterback for holding the ball too long. RPOs are all about timing.

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Definitely not his fault on that play. Nobody blocks the guy on the edge and he has a free lane to the QB. The only player left to block the rusher is Gainwell who caught the pass. The other targets were covered and Hurts had to roll right to have a passing lane to Gainwell because of the rusher. Keep doubling down --- we know you just hate Hurts (as the Eagles starting QB). 

It's his fault and you are dumb. 

It's a f'ing RPO. He CAN"T roll right to have a passing lane because he doesn't have TIME to do that. It's not complicated. If the play is blown up from the beginning, then he needs to run it. When half the O-line is standing in the endzone and he still has the ball, he cannot throw it. Which is why they got called for a penalty. 

Best part is it didn't even f'ing matter because he hit Goedert for a TD a few plays later. 

25 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

First play is football 101, when you have a free rusher, find your hot read.  I have highlighted that hot read, and Hurts is looking right at him.  Ball should be out now.

Watching the play again, they intentionally turned the DE loose, and as Gainwell comes underneath he is clapping his hands for Hurts to throw him the ball, problem is Hurts takes to long to diagnose and the ball is thrown to late.  Ball should have been on Gainwell as soon as he is clapping for it, that is when the offensive line is releasing to the endzone, as they also expect the ball to be out.

image.thumb.png.2d4872d189e7133e8127ed1ff9cf8c55.png

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

First play is football 101, when you have a free rusher, find your hot read.  I have highlighted that hot read, and Hurts is looking right at him.  Ball should be out now.

Nah, lets do 1D Checkers. Run around for a full 3+ seconds on a timing play. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Nah, lets do 1D Checkers. Run around for a full 3+ seconds on a timing play. 

Added some additional info to my post.

Archived