NFL.com: Jim Schwartz will allow contract to expire, contemplating retirement

eaglesfan0075

https://www.nfl.com/news/jim-schwartz-contemplating-retirement-won-t-return-to-eagles-in-2021

Whether this was organically conceived or maybe some behind the scenes conversations with Jeff Lurie indicated that he wasn't going to be back, it looks like what many of us had anticipated is going to happen.

The bigger question is whether we see any major changes regarding Doug Pederson or Howie Roseman. So far, early indications are that they both stay with the team next year, but that could change once the season is over.

As far as DC candidates go, I know DeMeco Ryans name was thrown around in a few mocks as a potential DC candidate, whether or not we landed Robert Saleh as our head coach. He's certainly an intriguing option.

A name I threw out in my mock is Teryl Austin, who is currently the Steelers senior defensive assistant/DB coach, but had previous stints as a 4-3 DC with the Lions and Bengals before coming to Pittsburgh as an assistant. Prior to his DC stints Austin spent time with the Ravens as a DB coach, overlapping with Andy Weidl's time there also.

Maybe the Eagles go with someone like Dan Quinn, who was let go by the Falcons but was a DC before he was a HC?

This and maybe OC will be our big off-season changes most likely. 

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

This and maybe OC will be our big off-season changes most likely. 

And maybe a draft consultant. 

Just now, phil77 said:

And maybe a draft consultant. 

Yep. John Dorsey, the Howie Roseman human shield. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for your service with the Eagles. Now.... get out, and take that yard stick BS with you!!! :groovy:

• Haha 1

Now the question is will the Eagles be lazy and just promote someone from within to replace Schwartz?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Doug 100% isn’t getting fired 

22 minutes ago, RUEagle said:

I don’t think Doug is getting fired 

He should, but in the past week it sounds like he knows he is coming back.

• Like 1

Doug is guaranteed to come back. Next year is a make it or GTFO year for the trio of Doug/Howie/Wentz, they will either get it together or all three will get shipped out of town.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Doug is guaranteed to come back. Next year is a make it or GTFO year for the trio of Doug/Howie/Wentz, they will either get it together or all three will get shipped out of town.

I’m not sold on Wentz being back yet

I'm not surprised by this. I think Schwartz has overall done a good job for the Eagles but the time has come for them to part ways. 

• Like 2

Schwartz has done a okay job considering the players he had. I think he made the most out of what he had. Unfortunately many of the players in the secondary were not very good. Listening to Ray Didinger on WIP today, he said Seth Joyner would make a great DC. I'm sure he would, but I don't see him working well with Doug.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not surprised by this. I think Schwartz has overall done a good job for the Eagles but the time has come for them to part ways. 

My issue with Schwartz is that if you don't have a lot of talent to work with at LB and DB, then you have to take a few more chances with blitzes and do things to create turnovers. He just wants to rush 4 80% of the time and also I don't like always playing sticks defense on 3rd and long.  At least make the QB diagnose a possible blitz, even if you are just showing a blitz. But, we don't hint at blitzes in those situations so it gives the QB an advantage of knowing that he will probably have time to find a WR.

• Like 1

No creativity and I loathe the wide 9 and sticks defense. Overall he’s middle of the pack. It’s not good enough. 

• Like 2

The minds that hired 14 offensive coaches will be replacing Schwartz.

😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

😬

Haha. Now we will hire defensive consultants and have no defensive coordinator.

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

😬

Yeah, it's unsettling. I'd hope they try to get John Dorsey and/or Andy Weidl involved in the DC search process as both guys have connections with coaches on successful teams. If it's just Roseman and Lurie, I'm not so sure they make a great selection.

I think we'll get a dedicated full-time DC rather than consultants, because Doug Pederson is not a defensive minded coach or one of those guys that wants his hands in everything. Just like Andy Reid, he'll let the new DC run the defensive side of things while he tends to the offense.

As far as OC goes, I really hope they ditch the committee approach and get a dedicated OC. I don't see that being a problem at DC though.

3 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Yeah, it's unsettling. I'd hope they try to get John Dorsey and/or Andy Weidl involved in the DC search process as both guys have connections with coaches on successful teams. If it's just Roseman and Lurie, I'm not so sure they make a great selection.

I think we'll get a dedicated full-time DC rather than consultants, because Doug Pederson is not a defensive minded coach or one of those guys that wants his hands in everything. Just like Andy Reid, he'll let the new DC run the defensive side of things while he tends to the offense.

As far as OC goes, I really hope they ditch the committee approach and get a dedicated OC. I don't see that being a problem at DC though.

I agree. If Lurie and Howie decide it, they might try to pull a Juan Castillo and convert Press Taylor from QB coach to DC just to save Press's job or promote from within.

32 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Doug 100% isn’t getting fired 

Doug likely isn’t getting fired but I would say anything is 100% at this time.  

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I agree. If Lurie and Howie decide it, they might try to pull a Juan Castillo and convert Press Taylor from QB coach to DC just to save Press's job or promote from within.

🤮

To be fair, Castillo did a lot better than what one would expect from a guy going from OL coach to DC. He wasn't amazing, but he put in an admirable effort given the poor circumstances.

I don't see Taylor being anywhere near as good as Castillo making that change. Would much rather have them just promote Marquand Manuel or Matt Burke to DC, both guys were 4-3 DC in the past.

An outside candidate would be preferred.

• Like 1

Just now, eaglesfan0075 said:

🤮

To be fair, Castillo did a lot better than what one would expect from a guy going from OL coach to DC. He wasn't amazing, but he put in an admirable effort given the poor circumstances.

I don't see Taylor being anywhere near as good as Castillo making that change. Would much rather have them just promote Marquand Manuel or Matt Burke to DC, both guys were 4-3 DC in the past.

They should interview candidates from outside the organization and not just be lazy and promote from within without opening it up externally, too.

• Like 2