NFL.com: Jim Schwartz will allow contract to expire, contemplating retirement

eaglesfan0075

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Doug likely isn’t getting fired but I would say anything is 100% at this time.  

i think lurie already has a name that wants to replace doug, now it depends if he's interested in taking the job or not, if he is then that's the only reason why doug is gone. knowing lurie he wont fire anyone for the sake of it unless it's for someone he really likes.

26 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Haha. Now we will hire defensive consultants and have no defensive coordinator.

Maybe they can promote Stoutland to DC. :whistle:

• Haha 1

Anyway no surprise to hear Schwartz will be moving on.  I think it was mostly expected since there wasn’t any movement to get him extended in his final year (unless there was some activity toward that behind the scenes that we just didn’t hear about).  

Anyway, best of luck to him in whatever he does next (unless it involves employment with Dallas, Washington, NY, and I’d even include Seattle in there too!).  Regardless of how you feel about him, he was part of a team that finally delivered our first modern day championship (despite the performance of the defense in that game).

I just hope whoever we hire to replace him does a much better job with developing talent (think Douglas and Jones), aren’t blindly committed to lesser players (Gerry), and will be willing to adjust the scheme to match his players’ strengths.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

My issue with Schwartz is that if you don't have a lot of talent to work with at LB and DB, then you have to take a few more chances with blitzes and do things to create turnovers. He just wants to rush 4 80% of the time and also I don't like always playing sticks defense on 3rd and long.  At least make the QB diagnose a possible blitz, even if you are just showing a blitz. But, we don't hint at blitzes in those situations so it gives the QB an advantage of knowing that he will probably have time to find a WR.

Yeah I mean that's fair but then by rushing 4 he should have more in coverage so can help guys out more. 

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Would love DeMeco Ryan's back here. He's a leader of men, I think he'd be a good fit as DC.

Always loved Meco but have to wonder if he’d be more a fit for a 34 defense.  I really haven’t followed him after his playing career ended.  

3 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Maybe they can promote Stoutland to DC. :whistle:

Well the apple (Doug) doesn’t fall far from the tree (Reid).  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Always loved Meco but have to wonder if he’d be more a fit for a 34 defense.  I really haven’t followed him after his playing career ended.  

I know we had 3-4 with Davies and we didn't like it but any reason why (with the right DC) it couldn't actually be successful?

Just now, time2rock said:

Me neither,he played a bit 43 in houston when they switched but for most his career was a 34 guy, not sure if he prefers 1 or the other or Lurie or even Doug do 

I'd rather move away from wide 9 not sure move all the way to 34 though, takes too much work though cox and Hargrave both have played in 34.

I like Meco though.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know we had 3-4 with Davies and we didn't like it but any reason why (with the right DC) it couldn't actually be successful?

Do you think we have the personnel to run a 34?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean that's fair but then by rushing 4 he should have more in coverage so can help guys out more. 

There's a balance. But, Schwartz usually plays it too safe.  Goff, for instance, is one of the worst QBs under pressure in the League. Jim just sat back and rushed 4 in that Rams game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Me neither,he played a bit 43 in houston when they switched but for most his career was a 34 guy, not sure if he prefers 1 or the other or Lurie or even Doug do 

I'd rather move away from wide 9 not sure move all the way to 34 though, takes too much work though cox and Hargrave both have played in 34.

I like Meco though.

I suppose you could move Sweat to one of the OLB spots.  I don’t know how you round out the rest of the DL and LB spots.  Probably say good bye to both Graham and Barnett.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I suppose you could move Sweat to one of the OLB spots.  I don’t know how you round out the rest of the DL and LB spots.  Probably say good bye to both Graham and Barnett.  

Graham played a couple years in a 34 but I doubt he'd want to go back to OLB. 

Barnett is probably gone anyways and the eagles can't round out LB in a 43☹️

Predictable and it sound like Jim has health problems so I wish him the best.

He’s not appreciated by many fans, but he’s done a great job with talent ranging from decent to downright bad. His playoff record of 17 points average is incredible.

This D has had pretty much no investment in young talent. Wouldn’t be surprised if it fell off a cliff without Jim.

Thanks for everything Schwartz and particularly your contributions to our first Super Bowl.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Do you think we have the personnel to run a 34?  

Do we have the personnel to run 43? 😉

7 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

There's a balance. But, Schwartz usually plays it too safe.  Goff, for instance, is one of the worst QBs under pressure in the League. Jim just sat back and rushed 4 in that Rams game.

Yeah I agree we all would like Schwartz to blitz more. My issue though is that by not blitzing you'd expect better protection in coverage and there isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Doug is guaranteed to come back. Next year is a make it or GTFO year for the trio of Doug/Howie/Wentz, they will either get it together or all three will get shipped out of town.

I don’t know about Wentz from the sounds of things next year the "real” money kicks in for Carson’s contract. At least that’s what people keep saying and implying. According to some the window for trading Wentz is also very small. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t know about Wentz from the sounds of things next year the "real” money kicks in for Carson’s contract. At least that’s what people keep saying and implying. According to some the window for trading Wentz is also very small. 

And that's why they should trade him this year. Bringing Doug and Carson back is such a mistake i think. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's why they should trade him this year. Bringing Doug and Carson back is such a mistake i think. 

Doug has been saying that he’s always had confidence in Carson lately. That kind of implies he might be back too. 

8 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Graham played a couple years in a 34 but I doubt he'd want to go back to OLB. 

Barnett is probably gone anyways and the eagles can't round out LB in a 43☹️

My exact thoughts on both.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Doug has been saying that he’s always had confidence in Carson lately. That kind of implies he might be back too. 

Which is ridiculous. The two aren't compatible and quite why they want to roll it back with them both is beyond me. Jesus. What a bitter disappointment. 

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do we have the personnel to run 43? 😉

Haha touché!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUEagle said:

I’m not sold on Wentz being back yet

Well his contract kind of does mean he’ll be back. After next year I can see him gone if nothing has changed from this season.

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Which is ridiculous. The two aren't compatible and quite why they want to roll it back with them both is beyond me. Jesus. What a bitter disappointment. 

I'm guessing they will hire a new QB coach and make him responsible for fixing Wentz. 

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If there’s any consolation Doug said his coordinators would be back last year and they were immediately fired. To be honest I don’t think Doug has any say on if Carson will be back or not and the people who do aren’t talking. Plus until Carson is actually moved they can’t act like they want him gone cause that could ruin the little trade value he has right now. 

9 minutes ago, EaglesIreland said:

Well his contract kind of does mean he’ll be back. After next year I can see him gone if nothing has changed from this season.

Heard this morning on the radio the Eagles actually save 1 mil against the cap if he’s traded. 

• Like 2

Good luck. Coach. Thanks for the SB! 

I kinda liked him, and think he did a good job. At the same time, I have no problem with a new DC coming in.

***Take it for what its worth, but it just came across the ESPN ticker that the Eagles are bringing Doug back***

31 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

He’s too passive. I want an aggressive coach.

I hate rushing four and letting QB’s pick apart the D. And the sticks defense...

• Like 1