NFL.com: Jim Schwartz will allow contract to expire, contemplating retirement

eaglesfan0075

On 1/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

But if you are a respected DC or a young up and coming potential DC with options you would not touch this job. Only good players on D are in the 30 plus range. Pretty much no young talent. 

Yes, it's a dumb question of course you do, you're inheriting one of the best defensive line rotations in the NFL that just went 3rd for sacks with a secondary that generates zero coverage sacks, so it got 49 straight up pass rush sacks in 16 games, if the team drafts a couple of decent pieces for the secondary you could polish your reputation with what would be easily a Top 5 defense and probably Top 3.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:21 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Schwartz deserves an appreciation thread.

He took a bottom 5 Defense under Bill Davis and within two years turned it into a near elite Super Bowl winning defense. Yes they sucked in the Super Bowl, but we wouldn't have got there without them.

They haven't reached those heights since, but he's kept the D competitive, even with a complete lack of investment in the D in the draft and the FO letting good players walk and not having replacements in place. They have suffered badly with injuries like the rest of the team.

He has averaged giving up 17 points in the playoffs in his time here (and that includes the Super Bowl). That's incredible. 

People expect him to produce like the Eagles D of the late 80s/early 90s, despite the rules being completely in favour of the O now and him not having nearly as much talent. People hate the sticks D. It works.  I loved Jim Johnson, but Schwartz half way through this season had the same rankings in terms of yards and points in his Eagles career.

Maybe it was time for a change and it sounds like Schwartz has health concerns. But he has been really underappreciated by most on this board and I wish him the best in the future and whatever he decides to do.

By giving up the most yards ever in a super bowl. Yeah the defense didn't win the super bowl. That said I think he was alright as a d.c.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yes, it's a dumb question of course you do, you're inheriting one of the best defensive line rotations in the NFL that just went 3rd for sacks with a secondary that generates zero coverage sacks, so it got 49 straight up pass rush sacks in 16 games, if the team drafts a couple of decent pieces for the secondary you could polish your reputation with what would be easily a Top 5 defense and probably Top 3.

One way of looking at it. 9 of the sacks were not from the D-Line and you can’t say there were zero coverage sacks.

The D-Line is very good. But Cox and Graham are getting older. Jackson will probably be gone. Barnett may be gone as well (although I hope not).

By the time any drafted players develop, the D-Line probably won’t be nearly as good. 

20 minutes ago, greend said:

By giving up the most yards ever in a super bowl. Yeah the defense didn't win the super bowl. That said I think he was alright as a d.c.

They sucked in the game yes, but we don’t get there without them. They dominated in both playoff games and kept us in them before Foles got going.

They were also critical in securing the 1 seed. 4th in points and yards and came up huge in the Oakland game where Foles was really struggling.

40 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

They sucked in the game yes, but we don’t get there without them. They dominated in both playoff games and kept us in them before Foles got going.

They were also critical in securing the 1 seed. 4th in points and yards and came up huge in the Oakland game where Foles was really struggling.

Not super bowl winning. He did a decent job here though.

• Like 1

I still can't believe that in the euphoria of winning the SB, Lurie went to Schwartz and told him his defense was awful that night. I mean imagine that... the joy, the celebrations, the elation and then that comment. 

45 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I still can't believe that in the euphoria of winning the SB, Lurie went to Schwartz and told him his defense was awful that night. I mean imagine that... the joy, the celebrations, the elation and then that comment. 

"Emotional intelligence."

Of course, we don't know if it was like that day or later or whatever.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In the end the defense sealed it though. There were actually a few game changing plays by the defense even with all the yards and points given up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

In the end the defense sealed it though. There were actually a few game changing plays by the defense even with all the yards and points given up

Yep! The McLeod big tackle where he dumped the Patriots receiver. Jenkins hit on Cooks.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, greend said:

Funny thing that both the Eagles and Patriots had top 5 defenses that season. 

8 minutes ago, mihailo said:

Funny thing that both the Eagles and Patriots had top 5 defenses that season. 

Funny thing that both also had top 3 offenses. In most cases when a team has a top 3 offense the defense improves majorly. 

Another funny thing, after our great 2017 when our offense went to crap, the defense went back to avg at best. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Funny thing that both also had top 3 offenses. In most cases when a team has a top 3 offense the defense improves majorly. 

Another funny thing, after our great 2017 when our offense went to crap, the defense went back to avg at best. 

Fair point. Gives the defense a chance to rest also. 

On 1/4/2021 at 4:51 PM, eaglegenius said:

So who would you bring in to replace Schwartz?

I think Dave Fipp is the man for the job, he has secondary playing and coaching experience which happens to be a big weakness for the Eagles.

4 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

Would anyone been open to Schwartz as head coach had he stayed?

I don't think so no. I think he team was right for all parties to move on. 

11 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

7 hours ago, mihailo said:

Fair point. Gives the defense a chance to rest also. 

It helps but it’s overstated. None of the top 3 offences this year have top 12 defenses. Certainly this year the O going 3 and out and turning it over so much has really hurt the D.

Eagles D in 2018 was plagued by injuries. Secondary was decimated.