NFL.com: Jim Schwartz will allow contract to expire, contemplating retirement

eaglesfan0075

Never been a big Schwartz critic, in fact I’m sure I’ve defended him here, but I think it was time. Enough with we score/we give up a score. Enough with the lack of adjustments. I’m afraid they’re going to promote from within and that will piss me off. Perfect time to bring in a fresh pair of eyes and approach. 

As long as he was on the Eagles sidelines, I've had his back. I hope he has a nice rest of his life and I hope we find someone even better to replace him. 

5 hours ago, wyote said:

As long as he was on the Eagles sidelines, I've had his back. I hope he has a nice rest of his life and I hope we find someone even better to replace him. 

Serious question. If you are an upcoming talented DC, would you touch the Eagles job? 

He's not going to be easy to replace. Despite a few off games, the defense has been solid under his hand, even when many of the starters were out.

Next season's already complicated by the QB situation. A new DC coming in means more questions that need to be answered.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

He's not going to be easy to replace. Despite a few off games, the defense has been solid under his hand, even when many of the starters were out.

Next season's already complicated by the QB situation. A new DC coming in means more questions that need to be answered.

Correct, people have really underappreciated what Schwartz has done with a minimal amount of talent. I think the D's really going to struggle for the next couple of years.

51 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Correct, people have really underappreciated what Schwartz has done with a minimal amount of talent. I think the D's really going to struggle for the next couple of years.

We spent the money exactly where he wanted it. This logic doesn't compute.

He should embrace retirement.  Thanks for the memes and memories, Jimothy. 

14 minutes ago, judunno said:

We spent the money exactly where he wanted it. This logic doesn't compute.

Yeah he wanted to be 31st and 29th in defensive spending the last 2 years. Totally makes sense the DC would want to be bottom 3 in the league in spending on his unit. 

48 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

Yeah he wanted to be 31st and 29th in defensive spending the last 2 years. Totally makes sense the DC would want to be bottom 3 in the league in spending on his unit. 

He wanted all the resources on the DL which is what he got and we brought in corners that he wanted. The rest of the spending went to Wentz.

Just now, judunno said:

He wanted all the resources on the DL which is what he got and we brought in corners that he wanted. The rest of the spending went to Wentz.

31st and 29th in TOTAL defensive spending including the DL. So try again. 

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Serious question. If you are an upcoming talented DC, would you touch the Eagles job? 

Why not? A job is a job. Someone has to start somewhere. Browns HC looking like a mastermind now that they get a post season birth since 2002.

2 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

After a disastrous 2020 - we can't expect to start 2021 running. There will be some growing pains as this team is in such a hole (cap and talent wise). So the FO has time to figure this out.

10 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

Why not? A job is a job. Someone has to start somewhere. Browns HC looking like a mastermind now that they get a post season birth since 2002.

So who would you bring in to replace Schwartz?

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I don't know why not. 

3 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

Juan Castillo!

Im the wrong person to ask. Ive dabbled in the idea of Wade Phillips but im not gonna pretend im any good at evaluating coaches.

Kyle Whittingham is my 1 dream candidate who won't leave U of U, but the 2 million dollar bump in pay if he makes what Schwartz made wouldn't hurt. Best player development coach in the NCAA IMO. Won't happen, but I'd absolutely love it and he is exactly what they need. Someone with a good defensive mind who improves on the talent players have. 

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Care to post where you are getting your #'s?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defense/

Okay so on these figures the Eagles are 23rd in spending. Bottom ten in the league. Couple that with the fact that they have invested a total of 2 top 100 picks in drafting young players on defense in the past 5 years (I haven’t checked, but I doubt any other team has drafted so little) and it’s clear to see this team does not invest on the D.

Schwartz has held it together just about. He’s done a good job with very little.

43 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Okay so on these figures the Eagles are 23rd in spending. Bottom ten in the league. Couple that with the fact that they have invested a total of 2 top 100 picks in drafting young players on defense in the past 5 years (I haven’t checked, but I doubt any other team has drafted so little) and it’s clear to see this team does not invest on the D.

Schwartz has held it together just about. He’s done a good job with very little.

Schwartz was ok. Nothing special. At times questionable. Again they put the money where he wanted it. Emphasis on the DL and I bet you they were one of the more expensive DLs in the league. His concept was to have great talent on the DL to compensate for less talent in the secondary and LB. He got Darby and a few others in free agency. He had Malcolm Jenkins and McCleod for years. This wasn't a cheap defense it just lacked in depth mostly because of what you just mentioned. Poor drafts which I'm sure he had some say in the talent that was going to HIS defense just as he would have some say in what FAs came in. Spending was fine considering where we put money elsewhere.

18 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

As long as Howie is "buying the groceries"? Hell no.

16 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

Fans that want change are going to really be pissed when they see us promote Burke. Fans that liked Schwartz should be happy.

13 hours ago, judunno said:

Schwartz was ok. Nothing special. At times questionable. Again they put the money where he wanted it. Emphasis on the DL and I bet you they were one of the more expensive DLs in the league. His concept was to have great talent on the DL to compensate for less talent in the secondary and LB. He got Darby and a few others in free agency. He had Malcolm Jenkins and McCleod for years. This wasn't a cheap defense it just lacked in depth mostly because of what you just mentioned. Poor drafts which I'm sure he had some say in the talent that was going to HIS defense just as he would have some say in what FAs came in. Spending was fine considering where we put money elsewhere.

13 hours ago, judunno said:

In 2017 there was balance. Yes as you say the majority of the resources were on the D-Line. But there was reasonable talent at linebacker (Hicks was injury prone, but Bradham and Kendricks were both legitimate NFL linebackers). As you say we had a decent pair of safeties. Corners were not great but good enough.

Since then there has been a neglect of the D. Players have declined because of age and/or been allowed to leave and they have not been adequately replaced. We should have been drafting young talent on D to replace the likes of Darby, Bradham, Kendricks, Jenkins, Long. But we haven't and Schwartz has been forced to get by with basically practice squad players at linebacker and in the secondary (with the exception of Slay and McLeod).

Yours stats above show only 8 teams spend less salary cap on their D. We have only used 2 top 100 picks on D in the draft over the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure no team has invested so little.

And yet Schwartz kept the D respectable while the heavily invested O struggles. And most on this board want him gone.

I'm an Eagles fan and I want whoever succeeds him to succeed, but they are badly up against it. Would expect us to be a bottom 10 D next year and perhaps worse.

16 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

16 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

12 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Fans that want change are going to really be pissed when they see us promote Burke. Fans that liked Schwartz should be happy.

I have not looked at the options and I'm sure there are some individuals who would take this job as you say. But if you are a respected DC or a young up and coming potential DC with options you would not touch this job. Only good players on D are in the 30 plus range. Pretty much no young talent. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I have not looked at the options and I'm sure there are some individuals who would take this job as you say. But if you are a respected DC or a young up and coming potential DC with options you would not touch this job. Only good players on D are in the 30 plus range. Pretty much no young talent. 

Agreed. It's not an appealing job for anyone at this point in time. They aren't going to get any assurances that assets will be used on the D as they also have to fix the O.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

In 2017 there was balance. Yes as you say the majority of the resources were on the D-Line. But there was reasonable talent at linebacker (Hicks was injury prone, but Bradham and Kendricks were both legitimate NFL linebackers). As you say we had a decent pair of safeties. Corners were not great but good enough.

Since then there has been a neglect of the D. Players have declined because of age and/or been allowed to leave and they have not been adequately replaced. We should have been drafting young talent on D to replace the likes of Darby, Bradham, Kendricks, Jenkins, Long. But we haven't and Schwartz has been forced to get by with basically practice squad players at linebacker and in the secondary (with the exception of Slay and McLeod).

Yours stats above show only 8 teams spend less salary cap on their D. We have only used 2 top 100 picks on D in the draft over the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure no team has invested so little.

And yet Schwartz kept the D respectable while the heavily invested O struggles. And most on this board want him gone.

I'm an Eagles fan and I want whoever succeeds him to succeed, but they are badly up against it. Would expect us to be a bottom 10 D next year and perhaps worse.

Well... New England, 49ers etc spent less I believe and they typically fielded pretty good defenses until injuries took their tool similar to our situations. It's really where do you want to place your chips. I agree with bolstering the trenches on both sides of the ball. But let's not say the cupboard was totally bare while Jim was here. The D got by. Seemed like the approach was draft offense and satisfy defense in FA some how. Got us a Super Bowl I suppose so not totally going to hate on the guy.