NFL.com: Jim Schwartz will allow contract to expire, contemplating retirement

eaglesfan0075

56 minutes ago, time2rock said:

WFT doesn’t exactly have slouches on their DL:  Young, Kerrigan, Allen, Payne, Toohill, Sweat, ...

Eagles drafted Casey Toohill in the 7th round this year and now he's on the WFT. He hasn't really done much there so far, but it would be ironic if he turned out to be a stud for them. 😂

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Eagles drafted Casey Toohill in the 7th round this year and now he's on the WFT. He hasn't really done much there so far, but it would be ironic if he turned out to be a stud for them. 😂

I know I threw his name in there jokingly.  :lol:

44 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If he plays tomorrow and goes against Pryor or Toth, he will look like a stud for them.  Although, Chase Young will probably get at least 4 sacks on his own.

• Like 1

If the Eagles take one of the two top cbs in this year’s draft and maybe a safety, lb or depth dt in the 3-5th rounds, they could be a very good defense the next couple years. 

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The way this all sounds to me it seems like the Eagles were really wanting Schwartz back and he turned them down. I sure hope that wasn’t the case. 

Why do you hope that wasn’t the case?

Schwartz did what he could with the talent on this D. He’s a very good DC. I hope we get a better one, but I’m not sure who will want to inherit this D.

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

The minds that hired 14 offensive coaches will be replacing Schwartz.

😬

Jeff Stoutland will be the new DC... :lol:

15 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Why do you hope that wasn’t the case?

Schwartz did what he could with the talent on this D. He’s a very good DC. I hope we get a better one, but I’m not sure who will want to inherit this D.

His defensive scheme kills his DBs. He may have some positives, but also some glaring weaknesses that leave him overall as a middle of the road DC. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nipples said:

Jeff Stoutland will be the new DC... :lol:

There's a precedent! :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Now the question is will the Eagles be lazy and just promote someone from within to replace Schwartz?

Lazy as usual.

Don't care what anyone thinks of DP, he has earned the right to at least play out his contract. Gym Shorts should have been let go last season. And Howie this season. And we need 1 real OC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

I agree. If Lurie and Howie decide it, they might try to pull a Juan Castillo and convert Press Taylor from QB coach to DC just to save Press's job or promote from within.

An even bigger surprise is in store:  Nate Sudfeld will be promoted to DC.  

Crap, I just spoiled it.

So what has been reported so far...

Doug is likely to remain as HC.

Lurie hasn't even contemplated firing Howie. 

Schwartz contract is up and he's decided he doesn't want to stay. That he may retire or he may take a year out. 

So where is the accountability for this utter ish show of a year? Where we will finish last in the worst division in nfl history? A season where a lot of people thought we were best placed to win the division? Given we had a returning HC and QB... In a covid year. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Schwartz contract is up and he's decided he doesn't want to stay. That he may retire or he may take a year out. 

So where is the accountability for this utter ish show of a year? Where we will finish last in the worst division in nfl history? A season where a lot of people thought we were best placed to win the division? Given we had a returning HC and QB... In a covid year. 

If 2018 and 2019 are any indication, Press Taylor is about to get the keys to the offense.

1 minute ago, Saltpeter said:

If 2018 and 2019 are any indication, Press Taylor is about to get the keys to the offense.

I mean... What the actual F! If they promote Press from within despite the job he's done with Carson then things are going to get really ugly next year. 

48 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

If 2011 is any indicator, Stoudland is about to get the keys to the defense 🙂

48 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Arghhhhh...some heads have to roll or else!  Well, one of the guys you whine about so much is gone.  You just wanted him fired, instead of retired.

People will get canned, cut, or traded to give you satisfaction soon.  Be patient. Then just wait 12 months for more of the same cries. Every year, its the same around here.

Schwartz was a decent DC. He was severely hampered by Howie. I mean the Eagles spent only 2 out the top 50 picks on defense in the past 5 years. His sticks defense and coverages were very annoying but the next guy can be far worse than him. Im just nervous as Howie is still in charge to pick his replacement.

48 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean... What the actual F! If they promote Press from within despite the job he's done with Carson then things are going to get really ugly next year. 

They aren't going to promote him and you know it.  

Just now, manz2821 said:

Schwartz was a decent DC. He was severely hampered by Howie. I mean the Eagles spent only 2 out the top 50 picks on defense in the past 5 years. His sticks defense and coverages were very annoying but the next guy can be far worse than him. Im just nervous as Howie is still in charge to pick his replacement.

The whole team was hampered by Howie's picks.  Its not like he has hit on very many and last year may have been his worst picks yet.

5 hours ago, eggs said:

If the Eagles take one of the two top cbs in this year’s draft and maybe a safety, lb or depth dt in the 3-5th rounds, they could be a very good defense the next couple years. 

But then Cox, Graham, Jackson will be 2 years older. Then we will need DL help. Its just messed up thanks to Howie.

Schwartz will be sorely missed...as the scapegoat for this ragtag of players called the Eagles Back 7. 

5 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Schwartz will be sorely missed...as the scapegoat for this ragtag of players called the Eagles Back 7. 

Around here, he will still be getting the blame for a few more years.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Arghhhhh...some heads have to roll or else!  Well, one of the guys you whine about so much is gone.  You just wanted him fired, instead of retired.

People will get canned, cut, or traded to give you satisfaction soon.  Be patient. Then just wait 12 months for more of the same cries. Every year, its the same around here.

Actually I'm fairly balanced on Schwartz. He's done a good job but he has flaws within his scheme (same as pretty much every DC). He does things that frustrate us as fans but he's done a good job. 

My point is, Howie put this roster together and it's a bottom 5-8 roster despite the cap issues it's facing. Doug hasn't had a good year and yet both remain? Despite regression every year since the SB.

35 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

They aren't going to promote him and you know it.  

Who knows with this organisation currently. They seem to like to promote from within and they seem to like Press.

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Actually I'm fairly balanced on Schwartz. He's done a good job but he has flaws within his scheme (same as pretty much every DC). He does things that frustrate us as fans but he's done a good job. 

My point is, Howie put this roster together and it's a bottom 5-8 roster despite the cap issues it's facing. Doug hasn't had a good year and yet both remain? Despite regression every year since the SB.

Who knows with this organisation currently. They seem to like to promote from within and they seem to like Press.

There is going to be changes.  It all starts tomorrow. 

The biggest culprit is Howie and his talent evaluation staff. Another year of wild swings, like the last few drafts, and it will take a long time to recover. No team can overcome mass injuries AND so many wasted/missed picks.

• Like 2