NFL.com: Jim Schwartz will allow contract to expire, contemplating retirement

eaglesfan0075

3 hours ago, judunno said:

Well... New England, 49ers etc spent less I believe and they typically fielded pretty good defenses until injuries took their tool similar to our situations. It's really where do you want to place your chips. I agree with bolstering the trenches on both sides of the ball. But let's not say the cupboard was totally bare while Jim was here. The D got by. Seemed like the approach was draft offense and satisfy defense in FA some how. Got us a Super Bowl I suppose so not totally going to hate on the guy. 

That chart only includes the active roster, so it doesn't include the likes of Bosa and Gilmore etc which would take them easily over our spend.

The D was pretty good in 2017 and not bad in 2018. Since then, there hasn't been nearly enough young talent brought in. Jim did what he could. Maybe it was time for both sides to move on, but don't be shocked if this D turns outright bad in the next year or two.

On 1/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Serious question. If you are an upcoming talented DC, would you touch the Eagles job? 

When you say upcoming...yes I believe a position coach would JUMP at the chance to move up to a DC position.  There are only 32 jobs and limited openings each year.  

I would suggest that someone with more experience would be less likely to take it.  If they saw that Schwartz was constantly dealing with garbage talent in the back 7 - albeit with a strong D line - they might shy away, and also with the front office structure and maybe not wanting to work with Howie.

A young position coach who wants to make the leap?  I can't see them saying no unless they really felt it was a bad fit.  

21 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

That chart only includes the active roster, so it doesn't include the likes of Bosa and Gilmore etc which would take them easily over our spend.

The D was pretty good in 2017 and not bad in 2018. Since then, there hasn't been nearly enough young talent brought in. Jim did what he could. Maybe it was time for both sides to move on, but don't be shocked if this D turns outright bad in the next year or two.

It will get worse before it gets better and I'm fine with that. It's all about the offense these days anyway. Sure up offense and special teams and as far as the East is concerned you're in the running.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

When you say upcoming...yes I believe a position coach would JUMP at the chance to move up to a DC position.  There are only 32 jobs and limited openings each year.  

I would suggest that someone with more experience would be less likely to take it.  If they saw that Schwartz was constantly dealing with garbage talent in the back 7 - albeit with a strong D line - they might shy away, and also with the front office structure and maybe not wanting to work with Howie.

A young position coach who wants to make the leap?  I can't see them saying no unless they really felt it was a bad fit.  

Yeah agreed, by upcoming I was meaning perhaps an established college coach, or DC at another team. Position coaches would mostly jump at the opportunity, unless they had other options.

My main point, as you have mentioned here, is that it could be something of a poisoned chalice with the lack of young emerging talent.

9 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah agreed, by upcoming I was meaning perhaps an established college coach, or DC at another team. Position coaches would mostly jump at the opportunity, unless they had other options.

My main point, as you have mentioned here, is that it could be something of a poisoned chalice with the lack of young emerging talent.

Gotcha.  Right, if you're talking about a more sought after "name" out there that has a lot of interest even as a position coach, and his choice is the Eagles or another promising team then that could be a factor.  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 4:55 PM, EagleMatt said:

Juan Castillo!

Im the wrong person to ask. Ive dabbled in the idea of Wade Phillips but im not gonna pretend im any good at evaluating coaches.

Juan Castillo was not bad at all. He got sacrificed to divert attention from the hack job Marty Morningwig was doing.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Ain't mad at jim. Did good with what he had. Just like Doug he was handcuffed. Howie is the cancer that needs cut. Jim couldn't live with himself anymore. Hopefully Doug wakes up were I can still respect him. Or not, might be arse kisser with no pride. Lurie becoming to hands on like Jerry Jones. instead of hiring quality people. Cheap millionaires, all of them, acting entitled. Love Kelce and Hurts attitude, shows love of the game. Hell I'm 47, I'd play for minimum wage. Might even be better than some our CBs still. Just for the love of the game. Is what it is, luck.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:34 PM, eaglegenius said:

Juan Castillo was not bad at all. He got sacrificed to divert attention from the hack job Marty Morningwig was doing.

I have not noticed anything significant that MM has done with this team on his multiple tours.  He got the gig based on his relationship with AR and Doug though the KC connection.  He did not make it as HC when he ran the show.

With all the BS that is going on with the Eagles front office.   Maybe Schwartz is the smartest one.  He was offered another contract and declined.  Maybe, he is like no thanks, I am going to take some time off.  If I sign a new deal with you now, I will be the next scapegoat.  No thanks!  Just saying.

• Like 1

Schwartz deserves an appreciation thread.

He took a bottom 5 Defense under Bill Davis and within two years turned it into a near elite Super Bowl winning defense. Yes they sucked in the Super Bowl, but we wouldn't have got there without them.

They haven't reached those heights since, but he's kept the D competitive, even with a complete lack of investment in the D in the draft and the FO letting good players walk and not having replacements in place. They have suffered badly with injuries like the rest of the team.

He has averaged giving up 17 points in the playoffs in his time here (and that includes the Super Bowl). That's incredible. 

People expect him to produce like the Eagles D of the late 80s/early 90s, despite the rules being completely in favour of the O now and him not having nearly as much talent. People hate the sticks D. It works.  I loved Jim Johnson, but Schwartz half way through this season had the same rankings in terms of yards and points in his Eagles career.

Maybe it was time for a change and it sounds like Schwartz has health concerns. But he has been really underappreciated by most on this board and I wish him the best in the future and whatever he decides to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I agree, huge upgrade even if his defensive style was frustrating on game day. He did an above average (but not great) job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Br3 said:

Great post. I always thought Schwartz was talked about very unfairly on these boards. I wish him the best also 

1 hour ago, Infam said:

100% agree. Given with what he had to work with, this guy is a wizard!

Glad to see a couple of people recognise his achievements, particularly given what he had to work with.

He was sadly underappreciated. His defense outplayed the offense by a mile.
Just as it did under Reid's tenure, under both JJ and Juan Castillo.

• Like 1

Yea, would have been nice if he stuck around to offer some stability with a new head coach coming in.  We are really in purgatory now .

I won't go as far as saying he was underappreciated.

I just found out the other day that he'd been dealing with his own personal health issues. Given what happened here with Andy during his personal crises, it's not surprising that our defense was up and down, especially over the past couple of years.

I wish him the best as a person, but I don't ever wanna see him near the Eagles again.

I'll forever be thankful to all the people involved in the 2017 season. His defense was extremely important during that run. I think he did an outstanding job and wish him the best. 

• Like 1

He helped us to get 2017 trophy. In Following years he did a good enough job working with below average replacements in the secondary. So a Giant Thank You to Schwartz for all that he brought.

5 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

Thanks but glad he's gone

I was never Schwartz biggest fan but I do think in a years time we may be wishing Schwartz had stayed.