EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

Of course, Douglas would be a good fit in a Cover-2 Colts' style scheme.

Maybe he returns for cheap. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sold that Barnett returns on an extension.  If the price is right I'm in for it but I feel like they are going to trade him. 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He won't be when it matters again. 

Good point. Keeping him during a rebuild doesn't make a lot of sense. Surprised he didn't ask for a trade

Rasul Douglas was what I like to call an asymmetric talent.  He had incredible ball skills, elite length, and an inability to carry deep speed downfield.

Love that skill set or hate it, there is a certain way that player needs to be used on the field.  And Schwartz had either a complete inability or unwillingness to do that.  

As bad as Maddox has been for the last 2 years, he was great as a rookie right out of the gate.  So I’d be content to give him a fresh shot this year.

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Not sold that Barnett returns on an extension.  If the price is right I'm in for it but I feel like they are going to trade him. 

Not sold on barnett either, I think he's wildly inconsistent and always hurt, the one good thing he has going for him is hes only 24 years old and has room for improvement.

Feels like he's one of those guys that we'll always be saying, this is his year. Not sure that year ever happens☹️

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Rasul Douglas was what I like to call an asymmetric talent.  He had incredible ball skills, elite length, and an inability to carry deep speed downfield.

Love that skill set or hate it, there is a certain way that player needs to be used on the field.  And Schwartz had either a complete inability or unwillingness to do that.  

As bad as Maddox has been for the last 2 years, he was great as a rookie right out of the gate.  So I’d be content to give him a fresh shot this year.

I still wouldn't give maddox another shot on the outside, he's just too small and short and while he's rarely out of position his lack of length limits his effectiveness.

I'd say maybe slot but he seemed to really struggle there.

I think his best fit might be safety though at his size and injury history I'm not sure he can hold up there over a full season.

Howie trying some last second work to try to get someone to jump on an Ertz trade.

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I still wouldn't give maddox another shot on the outside, he's just too small and short and while he's rarely out of position his lack of length limits his effectiveness.

I'd say maybe slot but he seemed to really struggle there.

I think his best fit might be safety though at his size and injury history I'm not sure he can hold up there over a full season.

If you check out my post from yesterday I compared Derek Barnett, Chris Long, Josh Sweat and Vinny Curry.  I don't think it's smart to invest what's looking like over $8 million/year in Barnett when you can get near the same production from 1-year vet rentals.  I would much rather spend $2-3 million on a vet per on 1 year deals until there is someone worth investing in.  Barnett is what he is which isn't terrible, just isn't worth what he's going to get.  

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Howie trying some last second work to try to get someone to jump on an Ertz trade.

There's this one too:

157627135_247484797047406_8447530910156420519_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=instagram.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=cmELL34PcEkAX9amDUq&oh=18f27c324d35e56e5fa3e7b4ecb10107&oe=6070924E
phillyeaglesnews According to Chris Mortensen, Jeffrey Lurie loves Jalen Hurts and plans to have Howie Roseman build around him this offseason.

Eagles are all in on Hurts.

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

If you check out my post from yesterday I compared Derek Barnett, Chris Long, Josh Sweat and Vinny Curry.  I don't think it's smart to invest what's looking like over $8 million/year in Barnett when you can get near the same production from 1-year vet rentals.  I would much rather spend $2-3 million on a vet per on 1 year deals until there is someone worth investing in.  Barnett is what he is which isn't terrible, just isn't worth what he's going to get.  

I can agree with that. I would assume the thinking with barnett is one is paying for his potential as he's still only 24?

Yet I'm not sure he's getting much better, I think he's reached his ceiling which as is doesn't dictate 8 mil a year and as you say the money would be better spent on cheaper just as effective alternatives.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

There's this one too:

157627135_247484797047406_8447530910156420519_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=instagram.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=cmELL34PcEkAX9amDUq&oh=18f27c324d35e56e5fa3e7b4ecb10107&oe=6070924E
phillyeaglesnews According to Chris Mortensen, Jeffrey Lurie loves Jalen Hurts and plans to have Howie Roseman build around him this offseason.

Lol weren't there reports that Lurie loved Wentz too?

I think they do need to build around the QB finally but that's funny

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

There's this one too:

Seems Howie is going to have to make room for a hurts fathead decal...😒

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Seems Howie is going to have to make room for a hurts fathead decal...😒

Maybe I'm just totally sick of the Eagles FO and how they do things but is it normal for the owner to like fall in love with a quarterback then have his GM build around him with no mention as to what the coach wants?  I'm guessing this is why DP is gone and Nick is here.   Do what the owner wants.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Maybe I'm just totally sick of the Eagles FO and how they do things but is it normal for the owner to like fall in love with a quarterback then have his GM build around him with no mention as to what the coach wants?  I'm guessing this is why DP is gone and Nick is here.   Do what the owner wants.

Nah I'm right there with you. Why hire a coach if the owner and the bean counting gm nerd are going to dictate everything to that coach.

Shouldn't the GMs job be to find players to fit the coaches scheme/s and the owners job to write the checks?

When owners start playing GM and GM starts playing coach we get what we got last year which a dysfunctional team from top to bottom.

I'm fine with an owner having a vision and being clear about how he wants his team to be marketed for lack of a better term but when the owner starts making decisions he hired others to do and the GM does things he's not qualified to do it's a recipe for failure.

I wonder if we could see some vet convert part their salary into a bonus to be paid one week into the new league year to help accommodate time for a trade to get done since for some dumb reason the NFL doesn’t allow a one-day window for teams to trade players to get under the cap by the start of the league year. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

We’re gonna restructure Cox’s contract so his 2022 cap number is like $25M and will eventually cost us $15M in dead cap to cut. I almost guarantee it. 

They just restructured him though during the season didn't they ?

Just now, greendestiny27 said:

They just restructured him though during the season didn't they ?

It’s a tradition unlike any other. 

35 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

There's this one too:

Who cares about the defense, all on the Hurts train. I could totally see Howie/Lurie taking Pitts over Chase too because they have to be the smartest ones in the room. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I believe he’s been restructured a few times, just like Lane Johnson. 

I just didn't think they'd do it again only 5 months later. 

The way I see it with Pitts is the Eagles (or whoever) had better be right about him being elite. There isn’t much margin for error when taking a TE that high. If he’s merely top 7-8 and a borderline Pro Bowl player that’s not good enough. If he’s top 2-3 and dictates coverage it’s fine. 

That’s a tough landing to stick though. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The way I see it with Pitts is the Eagles (or whoever) had better be right about him being elite. There isn’t much margin for error when taking a TE that high. If he’s merely top 7-8 and a borderline Pro Bowl player that’s not good enough. If he’s top 2-3 and dictates coverage it’s fine. 

That’s a tough landing to stick though. 

I think Siri would be enamored with him being an overall versatile offensive weapon, I just couldn't take him over Chase. Which I could easily see Howie doing. But if Chase is gone I'd be fine there with Pitts at 6. I feel like trading back is best but that probably means Howie won't do it. 

:offtopic:

Someone mentioned True Detective about a week ago and I know I’m probably by myself in this one but I thought it was just OK. Nothing great. 

The acting was very good with Matthew McConaughey amd Harrelson. Never felt like there was any danger. Normally when things Associate with the devil there’s a certain fear that just never happened for me. Things did amp up in the season finale but it was over quickly  

Alexandria Daddario is pretty hot in this though. 

51 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

There's this one too:

Maybe Lurie was behind that Hurts pick all along.  

Archived