EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

19 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Idea

1.  Washington football team needs a QB.  We trade Barnett and 6 for 19, 51, 74, Montez Sweat, and next years first rounder

2.  Trade Ertz and 37 to Jax to move up to 33 (first pick in round 2)

19 draft Rashod Bateman 

33 draft Zaven Collins 

51 - Top corner available (Newsome II)

Here was a mock draft I did based on that

image.thumb.png.e12101f8ee0fe925bafdbd62489002e7.png

So we upgrade at DE and save $7-8 million in the process and still land a top WR.    

Would you do it?

First off, you NEVER trade with a division rival to let them get their QB for the next 15 years.  If they’re right and that QB turns into a Mahomes or Watson they’ll keep you from winning your own division for the foreseeable future.

Next, there’s no way in the world WFT would make a Sweat-for-Barnett swap under any circumstances.  Sweat’s worst season has been better than Barnett’s best and WFT has Sweat cost-controlled for another 2 years.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 13 position trade up in the first round for a two and a three?  Pretty f’in bad. 

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

image.gif.9d1fdd68bb9ccbc69b31026c06721c6a.gif

:lol:

Like I said I don’t agree. But we have to be asking "what will Howie do?”

9 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

A 13 position trade up in the first round for a two and a three?  Pretty f’in bad. 

It’s a 13 position trade up plus Barnett for a two a three a 2022 first and Montez Sweat. It’s never going to happen but it’s not terrible besides trading with a division rival. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

:lol:

Like I said I don’t agree. But we have to be asking "what will Howie do?”

I just don’t like Fields at all as a prospect; tapping him to be your QB of the future is a franchise-wrecking move.  Too slow to process, similar to Hurts in the tuck-and-run method, and I don’t even think he was as good as Haskins in the OSU offense.

Rick Neuheisel said in a recent interview that Fields really should be returning to OSU for his senior season; I’m inclined to agree based on what I’ve seen

Carson Wentz and his doppelgänger Prince Harry are both having a bad year.  Wentz gets run out of Philly, and Harry is getting led around by the nuts by that dreadful Meghan Markle. :nonono:

5 hours ago, TEW said:

So here is my take on Pitts:

I don’t want an "offensive weapon” who doesn’t have a defined role at #6, or in the top 100 picks for that matter. We aren’t in a position to take tweeners. We need guys who can play every single snap in a base offense and be productive.

If Pitts is kind of like Zach Ertz (high volume receiving TE) then we shouldn’t be taking him at #6. No way, no how. Even if he’s better than Ertz. If Pitts is a freak of nature WR that is so big he looks like a TE, then sure, I want that kind of freak on my team.

But I do NOT want a guy without a clearly defined role, and I do NOT want a TE in the top 2 rounds of the draft. We have a good TE prospect on the roster already. We need help at WR. And pretty much every other position on the team. We don’t have the luxury of taking a TE in with our first pick.

If Pitts can be you’re #1 WR - a PURE wide receiver and not some ambiguous "weapon” — because, let’s face it, those guys never justify high draft picks on a production level — then I’m all in. 6’6” super athletic WR? YES! TE? NO!

That would have to be the play

Scenario 1 stuck at 6 Chase if available if not Pitts

Scenario 2 trade back with Denver for 9, 71 and 194. Waddle or Farley 

Scenario 3 trade back with ARI for 16, 49 and 79 while giving them 219 and 232. BPA as long as it is NOT OL

A lot less info this year so better be sure when in doubt try to trade back for more bites of the apple.

Waller was claimed off the practice squad 😏

10 hours ago, ManuManu said:

I’m calling BS. 

I didn't even realize he was still around

9 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts needs to be either really good or really bad in 2021.  Either option works out for the team in the long-run.  (Obviously best if really good).

But we can't afford to walk too far down this path if it's the wrong one.  

100%

8 hours ago, DoWorx said:

image.thumb.png.94b260b99b868fe7af1951c644fa77c8.png

You could probably have traded back in the 1st and still gotten Pitts and some more picks

Can someone explain Barnett's situation to me?  How many options are there?

- Extend him to lower the cap hit.

- Cut him to save $10 million.

- Let him play the year at $10 million, UFA next year.

- Is he tradeable?

10 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Pitts is a better prospect than every single one of those guys. I don’t think it’s close either. 

I believe I heard many of them being described s 'can't miss' before their respective drafts as well.

According to Waltersfootball eagles have met with the following players 

• Derrick Barnes, Inside Linebacker, Purdue (VIR)
  • Joshuah Bledsoe, Safety, Missouri (VIR)
  • K.J. Britt^, Inside Linebacker, Auburn (VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Larnel Coleman^, Offensive Tackle, Massachusetts (VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Zaven Collins^, Outside Linebacker, Tulsa (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Chris Evans, Running Back, Michigan (VIR)
  • Thomas Graham Jr.^, Cornerback, Oregon (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Carson Green, Offensive Tackle, Texas A&M (VIR)
  • Kylin Hill, Running Back, Mississippi State (VIR)
  • Wyatt Hubert, 3-4 Outside Linebacker, Kansas State (VIR)
  • Teven Jenkins^, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma State (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Patrick Jones, 3-4 Outside Linebacker, Pittsburgh (VIR)
  • Brevin Jordan, Tight End, Miami (VIR)
  • Deommodore Lenoir^, Cornerback, Oregon (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Quinn Meinerz^, Offensive Guard, Wisconsin-Whitewater (VIR, VIR)
  • Ifeatu Melifonwu, Safety, Syracuse (VIR)
  • Elijah Molden, Cornerback, Washington (VIR)
  • Rondale Moore^, Wide Receiver, Purdue (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Dazz Newsome, Wide Receiver, North Carolina (VIR)
  • Greg Newsome II^, Cornerback, Northwestern (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Adetokunbo Ogundeji, 3-4 Outside Linebacker, Notre Dame (VIR)
  • Levi Onwuzurike^, Defensive Tackle, Washington (VIR, VIR)
  • Peyton Ramsey, Quarterback, Northwestern (VIR)
  • Asante Samuel Jr.^, Cornerback, Florida State (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Anthony Schwartz^, Wide Receiver, Auburn (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • D'Ante Smith, Offensive Tackle, East Carolina (VIR)
  • Mike Strachan^, Wide Receiver, Charleston (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Tommy Tremble^, TE, Notre Dame (PRI, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Joe Tryon, Defensive End, Washington (VIR)
  • Marlon Tuipulotu, Defensive Tackle, USC (VIR)
  • Pooka Williams Jr., Running Back, Kansas (VIR)
  • Trill Williams^, Cornerback, Syracuse (VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR, VIR)
  • Kenny Yeboah, Tight End, Ole Miss (VIR)

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

- Extend him to lower the cap hit. Yes

- Cut him to save $10 million. Yes

- Let him play the year at $10 million, UFA next year. Yes

- Is he tradeable? Yes. Teams reached out to the Eagles for Barnett at the trade deadline. Now that was on a lower salary, but reasonably teams would want him for less compensation. 

Put my answers in red. 

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

- Extend him to lower the cap hit.

- Cut him to save $10 million.

- Let him play the year at $10 million, UFA next year.

- Is he tradeable?

I think you nailed it. If Gannon doesn't see him as a fit I'd move him. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Oh wow. Didnt think the Eagles had the stomach to do this.

We save cap space by trading him and save 17M-16M-17M in 2022/2023/2024 if we do that. I'm in. 

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I believe I heard many of them being described s 'can't miss' before their respective drafts as well.

Even if that were true, that doesn’t mean Pitts isn’t a better prospect than every one of them. 

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I had a feeling he could be one to possibly go. A lot of money, a lot of injuries and older. If he is moved a OG would be front and center in round 1 or 2. I already wanted a G anyway even if he was still here. 

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Oh wow. Didnt think the Eagles had the stomach to do this.

We save cap space by trading him and save 17M-16M-17M in 2022/2023/2024 if we do that. I'm in. 

Considering the lower salary cap, his age, his salary, his injury history, I have a hard time imagining a team taking on his $10.5M salary. The market is about to be flooded with guards. 

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

Put my answers in red. 

Thank you.  I thought there was some kind of rule that made it impossible to trade him.  Is that if they let him play out the 5th year at $10 million?

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Considering the lower salary cap, his age, his salary, his injury history, I have a hard time imagining a team taking on his $10.5M salary. The market is about to be flooded with guards. 

I'm so torn about this.

On the one hand, he's a top 3 guard when healthy and as he tore his achilles in May, will be 100% by training camp in the August.
On the other hand, all your points are valid. He's at the age where injuries and declines are real at a non-premium position.

Yet, if you're the Jaguars and Jets who are about to draft rookie QBs in the top 2, don't you have to seriously consider this? 

17 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Would be sorry to see him go. He's one of my favorite Eagles players and a genuine tough guy.

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

I'm so torn about this.

On the one hand, he's a top 3 guard when healthy and as he tore his achilles in May, will be 100% by training camp in the August.
On the other hand, all your points are valid. He's at the age where injuries and declines are real at a non-premium position.

Yet, if you're the Jaguars and Jets who are about to draft rookie QBs in the top 2, don't you have to seriously consider this? 

The Jags apparently are going to cut Andrew Norwell, a good guard in his own right. I’m not sure they’re a team that would want a high-priced guard coming off injury (even if Brooks would he a significant upgrade if healthy). 

Archived