EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Comparing Pitts still to tight ends only makes 0 sense. Free yourselves from this. Stop doing it. He'd be our X receiver day 1 and spend most of his time there and anywhere, including in line, to create mismatches

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

We’re gonna restructure Cox’s contract so his 2022 cap number is like $25M and will eventually cost us $15M in dead cap to cut. I almost guarantee it. 

Oh... it will happen.  That's a Howie special.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Rasul Douglas was what I like to call an asymmetric talent.  He had incredible ball skills, elite length, and an inability to carry deep speed downfield.

Love that skill set or hate it, there is a certain way that player needs to be used on the field.  And Schwartz had either a complete inability or unwillingness to do that.  

As bad as Maddox has been for the last 2 years, he was great as a rookie right out of the gate.  So I’d be content to give him a fresh shot this year.

That was known going into the draft.  Seems the scouting department should have recognized that and worked it out with Schwartz and the DBs coach.   🤷‍♂️

50 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Maybe I'm just totally sick of the Eagles FO and how they do things but is it normal for the owner to like fall in love with a quarterback then have his GM build around him with no mention as to what the coach wants?  I'm guessing this is why DP is gone and Nick is here.   Do what the owner wants.

"The owner should have no say in who the QB is.”

3 minutes ago, mattmcginley7 said:

Comparing Pitts still to tight ends only makes 0 sense. Free yourselves from this. Stop doing it. He'd be our X receiver day 1 and spend most of his time there and anywhere, including in line, to create mismatches

Kelce is used like that. If he’s as good as Kelce he’s worth it. Again, there’s not a lot of margin for error. 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

There's this one too:

phillyeaglesnews According to Chris Mortensen, Jeffrey Lurie loves Jalen Hurts and plans to have Howie Roseman build around him this offseason.

Eagles are all in on Hurts.

So, now we build a team around a QB?   Ok.   Glad they figured it out.

57 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Maybe I'm just totally sick of the Eagles FO and how they do things but is it normal for the owner to like fall in love with a quarterback then have his GM build around him with no mention as to what the coach wants?  I'm guessing this is why DP is gone and Nick is here.   Do what the owner wants.

Yup.

45 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’m calling BS. 

lol   This stuff is great. 

17 minutes ago, mattmcginley7 said:

I think most have come around to that notion 

9 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Kelce is used like that. If he’s as good as Kelce he’s worth it. Again, there’s not a lot of margin for error. 

Remind me again... where was Kelce drafted? 

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Remind me again... where was Kelce drafted? 

i get the argument that you can find studs all over the draft but to argue that point, was there a Kyle Pitts caliber TE in the Kelce draft taken before him?

If you were going to re-draft Kelce, where would you take him?

That's one of the great and exciting things about the draft.  The unknown, but also the possibilities of each prospect and what they could be...except for Eagles fans, we've become used to no expectations and just unknowns. 

Going by last year, Pitts would be our blocking TE when we run out of 12

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Howie trying some last second work to try to get someone to jump on an Ertz trade.

If Howie even gets a 5th round pick for Ertz that’s great.  If he gets a higher pick than that I’m heading out for birthday cake (Ertz and I have the same birthday)

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

i get the argument that you can find studs all over the draft but to argue that point, was there a Kyle Pitts caliber TE in the Kelce draft taken before him?

If you were going to re-draft Kelce, where would you take him?

That's one of the great and exciting things about the draft.  The unknown, but also the possibilities of each prospect and what they could be...except for Eagles fans, we've become used to no expectations and just unknowns. 

My point is that you don't draft a TE in the top 10.   I don't know who the last one was that was actually worth it.  

TJ Hockenson
Eric Ebron
Vernon Davis
Kellen Winslow Jr.
Rickey Dudley
Kyle Brady

That's the last 30 years.. 

Any of them even close to worth it?  

No need for a TE in the top 10.  That's a misuse of the asset they currently have.   Top 6 pick... they need to use it wisely.  I don't see that with Pitts.  Maybe I will soon... but not yet.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

My point is that you don't draft a TE in the top 10.   I don't know who the last one was that was actually worth it.  

TJ Hockenson
Eric Ebron
Vernon Davis
Kellen Winslow Jr.
Rickey Dudley
Kyle Brady

No need for a TE in the top 10.  That's a misuse of the asset they currently have.   Top 6 pick... they need to use it wisely.  I don't see that with Pitts.  Maybe I will soon... but not yet.

Pitts is a better prospect than every single one of those guys. I don’t think it’s close either. 

Ideal move for the draft is to trade down with any of the 3 teams below them and pickup whatever they can from those trades.  

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

There's this one too:

157627135_247484797047406_8447530910156420519_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=instagram.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=cmELL34PcEkAX9amDUq&oh=18f27c324d35e56e5fa3e7b4ecb10107&oe=6070924E
phillyeaglesnews According to Chris Mortensen, Jeffrey Lurie loves Jalen Hurts and plans to have Howie Roseman build around him this offseason.

Eagles are all in on Hurts.

The Eagles need to be all in on Hurts, for Howie’s sake.  

I still can’t picture Howie in front of the media after Round 1 explaining why he spent a 2nd round pick on a backup QB again — which is what he’d have to do if the Eagles draft a QB in Round 1.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Trask or Jamie Newman ends up an Eagles pick later on, though 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Pitts is a better prospect than every single one of those guys. I don’t think it’s close either. 

Ehhh. It’s been awhile but Davis was an insane prospect, especially after the combine. He was 6’3 and 254 but ran a 4.38 and put up 33 reps on the bench. He was mostly 98% percentile and up in everything besides the 3 cone. 

30 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That was known going into the draft.  Seems the scouting department should have recognized that and worked it out with Schwartz and the DBs coach.   🤷‍♂️

Agreed completely on the disconnect between scouting department and coaching staff.  We saw that with Tate and Avery too.

I've been saying for years now that the WR problems have been personnel/talent, while the DB problems have been coaching.  For the most part, I still believe this.

Darby was nearly the defensive rookie of the year with Buffalo and was the best rookie CB in the NFL.  He was pretty good in year 1 here and linearly regressed after that.  Then he was the best CB on a damn good WTF defense.  Sidney Jones was an elite cover CB prospect and was a complete disaster after his redshirt time getting coached up.  Sidney Jones wasn't close to a stud after leaving here, but he WAS instantly better upon departure than he ever was here.  Maddox was a really pleasant surprise when thrown into the fire as a rookie, both at C and S.  Really looked like someone we could expect to be a long term starter here.  After an offseason and more work in the defense, he's been hideous for the last 2 years.  

We've got multiple examples of guys coming into the Schwartz D as extremely highly regarded prospects or even proven NFL entities, only to get worse every single year under Schwartz.  He refused to adjust coverage schemes or adapt to what they did well.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Ehhh. It’s been awhile but Davis was an insane prospect, especially after the combine. He was 6’3 and 254 but ran a 4.38 and put up 33 reps on the bench. He was mostly 98% percentile and up in everything besides the 3 cone. 

If you watch the limited Vernon Davis highlights on YouTube, he is totally different than Pitts.  The combine is what put him over the top.  Davis was more of a rumbler at 6-3 250.  Pitts is long, lean with insane reach at 6-6 240.  I think it's unfair to compare the 2.  Totally different style of tight ends.

Hurts needs to be either really good or really bad in 2021.  Either option works out for the team in the long-run.  (Obviously best if really good).

But we can't afford to walk too far down this path if it's the wrong one.  

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

But he wasn’t close to the player Pitts was. 

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

TJ Hockenson
Eric Ebron
Vernon Davis
Kellen Winslow Jr.
Rickey Dudley
Kyle Brady

I think the way offenses operate now a guy like Pitts doesn't fit the mold of a traditional in line blocking TE who can catch.

He's an an offensive weapon that one can get the ball to all over the field and could be a match up nightmare, and the same was said if guys like vernon davis and ebron?

I hate when scouts mention his lack of blocking ability, when was the last time kelce threw an in line block?

If I were to redraft kelce I think I could make a pretty good argument for taking him top 10, he's a game changer, question is, is Pitts?

Or is he just another guy with elite size speed ratio that beat up on a bunch of college defenses.

Ricky dudley was a top 10 pick???

I'm guessing whoever made that pick much like rich Kotite is longer employed in the nfl.

Archived