EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

22 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The Patriots spending spree is fascinating.  It's the complete opposite of what they usually do.  They might sign one big ticket guy but they generally fill the team out with role players and then nail the draft.  I guess we now know that Tom Brady is the one that made that possible.

You also have to think there's a lot of smoke to the rumors they want one of the top quarterbacks in the draft.

Bill is hella triggered 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I had to look it up:

Miles Sanders 0
0%
77%
78%
77%
85%
40%
0%
0%
72%
60%
61%
56%
81%
83%
78%
0%

That was 2020

In 2019 he played 613 snaps over 16 games, or 52.66% total.

21 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I already clearly stated why the Eagles would likely extend him and if he plays at a near-pro bowl level, there's a very high chance they will.  We can continue this conversation sometime next year because like I said, it's way too early to even guess at this point. 

There's no conversation to continue. My opinion is my opinion and I'm not changing it. Whether he plays like a bust or plays like a pro-bowler, I'm not signing him to top 3ish money. If he wants to sign a team friendly deal that's not top of the market, then there is something to consider. It has nothing to do with the player. It could be Saquon Barkley and I'm saying the same thing. It's a philosophy about the position in general.

9 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

He's not that type of back.  200-220 carries, getting him over 1k yards rushing and another 40+ receptions for 500+ yards receiving plus another 8-10 TD's is what I expect him to do.  And yes, that type of production is well worth 10+ million per year.

He can't handle 200 carries even. You have to expect him to handle about 180 carries, and maybe 40 catches over a 16 game season. So that basically equates to 14 touches a game. That is not worth a big contract, you can find RBs in the draft and FA. You're much better off to spend around 15-20 million on 3 RBs who can complement each other. 

Edit to add - I think 180 + 40 is probably the very top end of workload that he could handle. I think it's very likely he comes in much lower, around 150 carries and 25-30 receptions. It's just such a poor use of resources for that kind of return. 

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

He can't handle 200 carries even. You have to expect him to handle about 180 carries, and maybe 40 catches over a 16 game season. So that basically equates to 14 touches a game. That is not worth a big contract, you can find RBs in the draft and FA. You're much better off to spend around 15-20 million on 3 RBs who can complement each other. 

You are falling into the same never ending rabbit hole I did

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You are falling into the same never ending rabbit hole I did

I know, I can't help it. I'm pretty sure he would want to bring back Desean again if he could.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

There's no conversation to continue. My opinion is my opinion and I'm not changing it. Whether he plays like a bust or plays like a pro-bowler, I'm not signing him to top 3ish money. If he wants to sign a team friendly deal that's not top of the market, then there is something to consider. It has nothing to do with the player. It could be Saquon Barkley and I'm saying the same thing. It's a philosophy about the position in general.

I get it.  And generally I agree that I don’t like giving regular RB’s long term, high money deals except for when I consider them ‘special’ players (Big play ability, catching ability, game changing ability).

Both Brian Westbrook and LeSean McCoy fit that mold and I believe Sanders could be that guy as well.  The Eagles awarded both Westbrook and McCoy 2nd contracts so if Sanders shows to be "that guy” over the next 1-2 years, I believe the  Eagles will (at least try) to extend him. 

20 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Chargers have two 3rd round picks and make a lot of sense for Ertz.  

And they have a young QB who needs a security blanket and Ertz gets to go back to his home state. It makes too much sense not to happen. I dont know if they will be able to get #97 for him but I would take #118

12 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Bill is hella triggered 

1D3D2942-6970-42FC-A320-76A071D1401C.jpeg

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

If he can’t do that then there’s nothing to worry about because he likely won’t command "big money” when it comes time to extend him.  1500 yards from scrimmage is "the key” to the larger contracts, IMO. 

I'd extend Sanders at the right price, that reflected both his game breaking talent but also his optimal role as part of a RB rotation, not as the "man."

Because I think he's best used in tandem with a power RB to take the late game load off his shoulders.

26 minutes ago, John_C said:

Whatever you thought about Doug, even at the end, he is just a pure class act.  I'd love to see him get another shot with a more functional organization.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/3/16/22333654/philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-head-coach-closure-carson-wentz-rumors-interview-jalen-hurts-news

I don't think he'd admit it, but I feel he'd be happier as the OC for a young defensively oriented HC where he could focus on game planning and play calling, and not have to deal with the administrative duties and politics of being a HC.

It's going to be a battle between the Eagles and the Cowboys over who has the worst defense.

32 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Chargers have two 3rd round picks and make a lot of sense for Ertz.  

They just let a quality  TE walk ,why would they want Ertz , and certainly not for a 3 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It's going to be a battle between the Eagles and the Cowboys over who has the worst defense.

and you just know Jerry and his grandkid are eyeing Jaylen Waddle at #10

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Dallas has their future starting corners on the team already in Trevon Diggs and Reggie Robinson along with a good mix of young and veteran talent.  Their linebackers are severely overrated.  Would gladly trade what the Eagles have on D for what Dallas does.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Trading for Darius Slay was a mistake.  Giving him the contract was an even bigger one.  IMO, you trade for a guy like Slay when you feel you're one piece away.  Maybe the Eagles thought that and that's an even bigger problem.  Not knowing what you have as a team and misjudging the talent is not good.  

They brought him in at age 30 and gave him an extension with question marks and no plan for CB2 and safety.  I'm a Mills fan but he was an unknown on a 1-year deal.  Avonte Maddox at CB2, give me a break.  The guy got abused when he had to play outside.  

There seems to be zero forward thinking about future ramifications when making moves as of late.  They knew Mills was going to be a FA with no money to spend and no safety in the wings.  They couldn't have honestly thought Maddox was a long term solution at CB2.  They had NRC on a 1-year deal so slot corner was a question mark moving forward.  Yet you bring in Slay and extend him....then you restructure him adding 2 more years to his cap hit.  His game does not translate to safety either.  He's an outside corner so when age catches him, it's going to be noticeable big time.

I don't hate Slay the player.  I hate the thought process behind bringing a player like him to the team they had and what they were/are facing with depleted talent and cap issues.

I think Howie and the coaching staff's view of the roster is that they were only a few pieces away.  In fairness to them, the team would have looked much different if they had a healthy o-line going into the season.  I think that was the big part of the problem last season.  I don't think that makes the Slay trade the right decision.  It would have been a better trade in 2018 or 2019 when they were in contention.  The problem with Slay was that there were so many other pieces missing on defense.  I mean there was no other even above-average players.  He wasn't paired with a Jenkins.  He was put with inexperienced safeties and CBs that just weren't good enough.  

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Howie has Ertz and his agent talking to the Chargers about a contract extension, because a trade doesn’t make much sense for LAC unless they know what Ertz is looking for to get him under a new contract.

The Chargers would be very unlikely to pay what Ertz wants beyond this season; they’re known to be pretty cheap 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

For all in the Belichek has lost his mind crowd, Aaron Hernandez beast season was 2011, 79 catches.  Gronk had 90 catches that year, Welker had 122.  Unlike the Eagles, the Pats know how to run a 2 TE offense effectively.

Who was their QB? 

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Who was their QB? 

An hour ago says hi

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Agreed.  But it is the same offensive coordinator, and I think it is a better match for Cam's skill set at this stage of his career.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

that would be great.  maybe they would consider Ertz and 70 for 47?  That's roughly 190 points via NFL draft chart which is equivalent to pick 80.  Guessing we end up with 4th-5th round pick

Chargers have the cap space , and could have chose to keep a quality TE in Henry , who is only 26 , instead he went to pats for 25 million guaranteed. 

they are not trading for Ertz and giving up a 3rd pick

41 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think they have less talent on defense than the Eagles.   I think Dallas having Dan Quinn is helpful but it's not like there's a lot of talent on that team aside from 2 decent LBs.  

Archived