EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

11 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Good idea.  I didn’t figure you were cutting the line.  I kind of look at it this way.  I was able to retire early and my wife works from home. Most folks aren’t able to quarantine like us and my kids are clearly at the back of the line.  I am thankful my relatives on the front lines, with preexisting conditions, older and my father in law and sister were able to get their shots.  I have wanderlust cravings pretty bad but I can wait until May or June to get my shot.  I hit 1A status this summer so either way,  I get the shot on the horizon.   In the meantime, I will get my second shingles shot tomorrow.  If my doctor offers a vaccine opportunity to me, I will seriously consider it but as long as I am not taking a 1A or 1B person’s slot.

How will you know?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, schuy7 said:

I could see us having interest in Juju Smith-Schuster if his market doesn't develop.

What are we paying him with?

This is one of the worst f/a periods I can ever remember. Just no hope at all for a player that can make a difference for us. Thanks Lowie

Are we below the cap yet?

26 minutes ago, greend said:

What are we paying him with?

The promise that he can do as many Tik Tok videos as he wants without being judged as a tool.

Remember that guys with a punchable face conversation?

That picture of Howie might be the ultimate.  Also, 2 guys on the list already gone.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts looked better than him after Hurts took over as starter. The issues with Wentz started at the beginning of the season. I think Wentz couldn't handle the Hurts pick or felt resentment towards people within the organisation for that pick. Now sure that puts a question mark on Wentz mentality but Howie should have known the impact a move like that would have had on Wentz.

The impact on Wentz was more likely tied to Howie ignoring glaring needs to support him and the team versus drafting a backup QB.  That selection showed a complete lack of focus on improvement.  So if Wentz was pissed, he should have been....just like the majority of the board was with the Hurts pick on draft night.

Not signing anyone on the first day of free agency is really the best possible outcome for us. Doesn't hurt future cap years + helps the 2021 tank. 

they won’t tank , tank implies lose  on purpose , no coach will do that , they will play to win , they just may not win very much do to lack of talent . Losing breeds losing and a bad culture.

13 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Remember that guys with a punchable face conversation?

That picture of Howie might be the ultimate.  Also, 2 guys on the list already gone.

When Nelson Agholor is making $13 million a year, I don't wanna be a player on day 1 anyway, cap space or not.

12 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The impact on Wentz was more likely tied to Howie ignoring glaring needs to support him and the team versus drafting a backup QB.  That selection showed a complete lack of focus on improvement.  So if Wentz was pissed, he should have been....just like the majority of the board was with the Hurts pick on draft night.

I'm not sure they ignored glaring needs... They just didn't bring in the right people. It was more of an evaluation issue.

5 hours ago, The guy in France said:

IMO if Sanders could be traded for a 2nd maybe even an early 3rd it would be the thing to do. I would then use the one of my 2nds on Javonte or the one of my 3’s on Westbrook-like Carter. If I also did a substantial tradeback in the 1st I’d want both Carolina guys, run us about $12mil for 4 years

Howie/Lurie aren't capable of this. Howie drafted Sanders and is biased towards him so he's not going anywhere. Howie has too much pressure to select the right players this year probably offensive weapons too so I'm not expecting any dramatic trade downs either. I can't see anything out of the top ten even. 

11 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

they won’t tank , tank implies lose  on purpose , no coach will do that , they will play to win , they just may not win very much do to lack of talent . Losing breeds losing and a bad culture.

However you look at it, winning may not be a priority this year.

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure they ignored glaring needs... They just didn't bring in the right people. It was more of an evaluation issue.

We needed more help than backup QB in the 2nd last year.  The selection was bad.  The message was bad.  End of debate.

Looking at the roster...man, I thought linebacker was bad.  There might not be a position more in need than defensive back.

CB- Lavert Hill, Jameson Houston, Michael Jacquet, Craig James, Avonte Maddox, Kevon Seymour, Darius Slay, Grayland Arnold, Elijah Riley

S- Rodney McLeod, Marcus Epps, K'Von Wallace

Round 1...give me Pitts/Chase/Waddle and RB2 in the middle rounds.  With the rest of the draft we need players on defense.  I'm OK with the O-Line.  I think we have a solid mix of veterans and young players Stoutland can develop as next in line guys.

Our defense though...woof.

4 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Howie/Lurie aren't capable of this. Howie drafted Sanders and is biased towards him so he's not going anywhere. Howie has too much pressure to select the right players this year probably offensive weapons too so I'm not expecting any dramatic trade downs either. I can't see anything out of the top ten even. 

Trade down with Denver would be a nice result. 

Just now, bpac55 said:

Looking at the roster...man, I thought linebacker was bad.  There might not be a position more in need than defensive back.

CB- Lavert Hill, Jameson Houston, Michael Jacquet, Craig James, Avonte Maddox, Kevon Seymour, Darius Slay, Grayland Arnold, Elijah Riley

S- Rodney McLeod, Marcus Epps, K'Von Wallace

Round 1...give me Pitts/Chase/Waddle and RB2 in the middle rounds.  With the rest of the draft we need players on defense.  I'm OK with the O-Line.  I think we have a solid mix of veterans and young players Stoutland can develop as next in line guys.

Our defense though...woof.

The back half of the defense is wrecked.  It's going to take awhile to correct....better hope the offense is ready to be in a track meet.

As I said last week, by far the best part of this year’s FA is not having to see every bozo on here and on Twitter crying that the Eagles aren’t signing every FA available. 

21 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Yup

The only definite is the Eagles will be picking in the top 3 next year. No real QB, no receivers, secondary that ranks below Alabama in ability...........

13 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

As I said last week, by far the best part of this year’s FA is not having to see every bozo on here and on Twitter crying that the Eagles aren’t signing every FA available. 

fa crop isnt very good anyway, i would just wait when players get released and jump on that.

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The back half of the defense is wrecked.  It's going to take awhile to correct....better hope the offense is ready to be in a track meet.

Trading for Darius Slay was a mistake.  Giving him the contract was an even bigger one.  IMO, you trade for a guy like Slay when you feel you're one piece away.  Maybe the Eagles thought that and that's an even bigger problem.  Not knowing what you have as a team and misjudging the talent is not good.  

They brought him in at age 30 and gave him an extension with question marks and no plan for CB2 and safety.  I'm a Mills fan but he was an unknown on a 1-year deal.  Avonte Maddox at CB2, give me a break.  The guy got abused when he had to play outside.  

There seems to be zero forward thinking about future ramifications when making moves as of late.  They knew Mills was going to be a FA with no money to spend and no safety in the wings.  They couldn't have honestly thought Maddox was a long term solution at CB2.  They had NRC on a 1-year deal so slot corner was a question mark moving forward.  Yet you bring in Slay and extend him....then you restructure him adding 2 more years to his cap hit.  His game does not translate to safety either.  He's an outside corner so when age catches him, it's going to be noticeable big time.

I don't hate Slay the player.  I hate the thought process behind bringing a player like him to the team they had and what they were/are facing with depleted talent and cap issues.

19 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Don't worry they still will

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Trading for Darius Slay was a mistake.  Giving him the contract was an even bigger one.  IMO, you trade for a guy like Slay when you feel you're one piece away.  Maybe the Eagles thought that and that's an even bigger problem.  Not knowing what you have as a team and misjudging the talent is not good.  

They brought him in at age 30 and gave him an extension with question marks and no plan for CB2 and safety.  I'm a Mills fan but he was an unknown on a 1-year deal.  Avonte Maddox at CB2, give me a break.  The guy got abused when he had to play outside.  

There seems to be zero forward thinking about future ramifications when making moves as of late.  They knew Mills was going to be a FA with no money to spend and no safety in the wings.  They couldn't have honestly thought Maddox was a long term solution at CB2.  They had NRC on a 1-year deal so slot corner was a question mark moving forward.  Yet you bring in Slay and extend him....then you restructure him adding 2 more years to his cap hit.  His game does not translate to safety either.  He's an outside corner so when age catches him, it's going to be noticeable big time.

I don't hate Slay the player.  I hate the thought process behind bringing a player like him to the team they had and what they were/are facing with depleted talent and cap issues.

During the offseason last year many of us thought that we would be competitive

16 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I don't think many are complaining that the Eagles aren't signing anyone....it's more that their players are getting big money elsewhere and a frustration that they CAN'T sign anyone.  I don't think there are any signings yesterday outside of John Johnson that I said man I wish the Eagles could have signed that guy.  

I would have liked to have Mills back as a safety.  Good for Nelson on getting paid.  He bet on himself last year, played very well and he earned a great contract.

The complete sucky part is just watching other teams sign players while the Eagles are hand tied.  I think the Patriots paid a TON of money for a handful of very average players.  I honestly don't know what they were thinking.  

2 minutes ago, greend said:

During the offseason last year many of us thought that we would be competitive

Competitive vs. one step away are 2 different things.  There were also many of us on here who knew the absolute disaster that was facing us.  

Archived